Review of Gringo

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Adelee Grobler
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adelee-grobler.html
Latest Review: Hemiphos by Stefanie Jacob
Reading Device: B0979KD57W

Review of Gringo

Post by Adelee Grobler »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Gringo" by Dan "Tito" Davis.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

You can easily become addicted to money. There is also no faster way to make large sums of money than by selling illegal substances. This was particularly true for Dan. Selling legal substances was not enough, and he ended up in jail. Will he continue after he has served his sentence? That didn't matter to the American authorities, because all evidence of meth smuggling pointed to him as soon as he got out. Dan had started fleeing from the authorities early in the novel. Moving between borders; taking on a new identity; making friends with the right people; and remaining unnoticed should keep him hidden, right? You'll have to read all the way to the end to find out!

This true story was extremely educational. This information was obtained from an insider during the late 1900s drug smuggling operations in North and South America. Reading this novel provided me with a lot of information. It’s clear why law enforcement had to improve. I also appreciated how the author explained each of the novel's many unfamiliar terms and words. During my reading, I even picked up a few Spanish words! I also learned a great deal about other countries and cultures. Some of it was disgusting, and some of it was lovely, but all of it was intriguing.

I adore many aspects of this novel, but my favorite was when he would say "Cringo Stupido" before doing something stupid. If I saw those words, I knew the rest of the story would be entertaining. I couldn't put the book down during those sections. It immediately allows your imagination to run wild with possibilities. It also contributed to Dan's relatability, in my opinion.

Unfortunately, there were some aspects of this novel that I did not enjoy. The author shortens some scenes far too soon. I'd become fascinated by a scene, only to have it cut out, leaving me unsatisfied. I'd rather read a longer novel than to be left hanging. Likewise, I understand that the author didn't want to focus on those parts, but it would have improved my connection with the characters. Furthermore, I also picked up on racial generalizations. It could be offensive to a lot of readers.

I rate Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis 3 out of 4 stars. Sadly, I had to deduct a star due to the negatives I’ve found. I couldn’t find any grammatical errors, so it was exceptionally well edited.

I recommend this novel to readers interested in learning about different countries, cultures, biographies, and drug smuggling during the late 1900s. It does contain non-borderline profanity as well as sexual context. Readers who are easily offended should avoid this book.

Gringo
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Soraya Bayah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thuriya-albayaa.html
Latest Review: The Lockdown Collection by Barry Jacob

Post by Soraya Bayah »

Although Ive already read the book, your review made me want to do it again. I enjoyed your approach to this memoir, and it was nice to see how someone else viewed its negatives. Great job!
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Zona II by Fred G. Baker
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I don’t think that this would be the book for me. Although Dan seems to have some interesting adventures, I am not really into memoirs.
Adenike279
Currently Reading: The Reel Sisters
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adenike279.html
Latest Review: The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon

Post by Adenike279 »

I think this will be a book for me. I can't wait to read it. Nice review
Muskan Upadhyaya
Currently Reading: The Legacy of Job's Wife
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-muskan-upadhyaya.html
Latest Review: Wisdom by Arun mago

Post by Muskan Upadhyaya »

I am really curious to know what will happen to Dan after he will be out of jail.
Amazing review
Latest Review: Wisdom by Arun mago

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”