Review of Bluewater Walkabout

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Aisha Yakub
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aisha-yakub.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Review of Bluewater Walkabout

Post by Aisha Yakub »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Bluewater Walkabout" by Tina Dreffin.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Bluewater Walkabout is an interesting and adventurous book by Tina Dreffin. Shortly after the 9/11 incident, Tina and her family took a trip to the safari in South Africa. Things get emotional for Tina, as it reminds her of the first child she lost in a Catholic city, which almost took away her chances of becoming a mother again. She now has two children. In addition, two other teenage boys would be joining her and her family for this wild trip. Her Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder could be in the way of enjoying this trip. She's always bothered something could go wrong, and she is always on the lookout. It gets worse when she realizes her husband may just be the fifth child; he gives in to his children's wild fantasies and throws caution to the wind. As the only seemingly cautious one available, would Tina be able to keep everyone safe?

You have to be really adventurous to go on a wild trip such as this. Hunting sharks and taking close-range pictures of wild animals is not for the faint-hearted. This book is more than just an adventurous trip. It tells the love story between Peter and Tina. Adventurous travels have always been their dream. After going through emotional and sexual abuse, Tina meets her soulmate, Peter. They share a lot in common, including wild adventures.

I enjoyed reading about this family. It was full of love and emotions. Losing a child, especially when you feel you could have prevented it, sends a lot of guilt through you. I love that Peter and Tina were able to weather that storm. Warren and Adam, Tina's sons, were the exact opposite of each other- a typical family. It just seemed relatable to me. I like how the Dreffins weren't exactly painted as a perfect family, but they lived in harmony.

Tina seems to be giving an unbiased account of her story. When writing an autobiography, authors are tempted to sound like heroes by only giving out the positive aspects of their lives. This wasn't the case in Bluewater Walkabout. In this book, Tina talks about being sexually abused and feeling inadequate. I find this brave, and I believe most people could learn from her story. She also adds useful references at the end of the book for people who have been sexually assaulted or diagnosed with cancer.

I'm not certain I enjoyed reading about Africa being portrayed as a home of violence. This adventure happened in the 1900s, and maybe safety wasn't synonymous with Africa as at the period. However, I think this book doesn't holistically portray Africa as it really is. I found this problematic because the theme said: "into Africa". People who haven't been to Africa could misconceive the notion. I believe Africa is more than a home of wild animals.

The author was very descriptive with her events. I could almost picture it, and I relished the moments. However, as I got further into the book, I felt it was a bit excessive. At some point, it seemed monotonous to me. It was either the description of one animal or another. Not everyone may have a problem with it, but I appreciate variety. I'll rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. A perfect rating would mean I agree with the depiction of Africa as said in the theme. Apart from this and the excessive description, I enjoyed reading this book.

I'll recommend this book to lovers of adventures. Although this isn't a work of fiction, I think fiction lovers would enjoy reading this book. It is written in a very interesting manner. In addition, anyone who has lost a baby in utero would find this useful, as there's a guide on what could be done about it.

Bluewater Walkabout
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 482
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by markodim721 »

I like the adventurous side of the book. I agree that Africa could and should have been presented in a better light. Thanks for the objective review.
Raymonda onwuka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raymonda-onwuka.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Raymonda onwuka »

Thanks for the straightforward review. The story about love, family, and courage as can be seen in the Dreffins always appeal to me.
Stizzy Monday
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stizzy-monday.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Stizzy Monday »

Quite objective, I must say.
The review would actually be exciting enough for any lover of adventure to want to read the book.
"... Dreffins weren't exactly painted as a perfect family, but they lived in harmony." This line alone makes me want to read the book, because I can only imagine how such harmony could be achieved in the midst so much emotional rigmarole.

It's also sad how people forget that Africa is not a city nor a country. Africa is a CONTINENT.

thanks for the beautiful review.
Darlings O
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 100
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darlington-onuoha.html
Latest Review: Imperfect Lives Perfect Grace by Dr. E.M. Johnson

Post by Darlings O »

This looks like a very adventurouss book. I am definitely intrigued and would love to experience the thrill myself. Thank you for this very honest review.
Aisha Yakub
Currently Reading:

Post by Aisha Yakub »

markodim721 wrote: 24 Jan 2022, 16:44 I like the adventurous side of the book. I agree that Africa could and should have been presented in a better light. Thanks for the objective review.
Thank you for your comment. I'm glad you stopped by.
ChampagneSon
Currently Reading: Why Can't Johnny Just Quit?
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-champagneson.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by ChampagneSon »

I admire the honesty in this review. I agree with you, there's so much more to Africa than just wild animals and safari trips other than that, I like how the family is portrayed with flaws. Seems like a good read.
Aisha Yakub
Currently Reading:

Post by Aisha Yakub »

ChampagneSon wrote: 25 Jan 2022, 02:26 I admire the honesty in this review. I agree with you, there's so much more to Africa than just wild animals and safari trips other than that, I like how the family is portrayed with flaws. Seems like a good read.
Thank you very much for your comment; glad you stopped by.
Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala
Favorite Book: Happy Healing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 301
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nqobile-mashinini-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala »

Tina sounds like my kind of woman. Adventurous!
Documented history is a gift from the past to the future! - NqobileM
Aisha Yakub
Currently Reading:

Post by Aisha Yakub »

Nqobile771 wrote: 25 Jan 2022, 08:50 Tina sounds like my kind of woman. Adventurous!
If you like adventurous people, then she is. Thanks for stopping by.
OTrain Disene
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Flight Quack
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-otrain-disene.html
Latest Review: Mysteries by Graham Wilson

Post by OTrain Disene »

Ignorance most times is not a bliss indeed. As an above person has commented, Africa is a continent, not a city nor a country. I think at this point people are straight up being deliberate in their disrespect. But anyway, your review was amazing. But with the book, I am not so sure.
Amiczy Heaven
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 93
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amiczy-heaven.html
Latest Review: Living the Beatitudes by Gary L. Engstrom

Post by Amiczy Heaven »

I recently read this book and I totally enjoyed it. Those kids were just a handful.
Amiczy Heaven
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 93
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amiczy-heaven.html
Latest Review: Living the Beatitudes by Gary L. Engstrom

Post by Amiczy Heaven »

Darlington O wrote: 24 Jan 2022, 19:13 This looks like a very adventurouss book. I am definitely intrigued and would love to experience the thrill myself. Thank you for this very honest review.
I just read it and I loved every bit of it.
SirLifted
Favorite Book: Man Mission
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sirlifted.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by SirLifted »

That the family isn't a perfect one but lived in harmony is a nice reason to read the book. I'm really curious to learn from how they moved on from the preventable loss of their child, lessons like this can be taught to people who are seemingly depressed because of whatever happened to them in the past.
Thank you for telling them that Africa is not just about violence. In fact, it's what I appreciate most about the review. Thumbs up.
Fanny Lebura Ueh
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fanny-lebura-ueh.html
Latest Review: Jason's Magic Journeys by Sylvia Hebden

Post by Fanny Lebura Ueh »

I totally enjoyed reading your review. This review has piqued my interest, and I look forward to reading this book and finding out more details for myself. Thank you for the honest feedback.
Latest

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”