Review of E M P Honeymoon

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Time Before Time by Dan DuBose
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Review of E M P Honeymoon

Post by Amy Luman »

[Following is a volunteer review of "E M P Honeymoon" by Dorothy May Mercer.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

What’s going on in Honduras? Kelly and Tom Turbulo were on their honeymoon there when Kelly discovered something out of the ordinary in the back of a small tourist trap. When it became clear that she could be in danger, she called her brother, Senator Mike McBride, hoping he could do something to help. When it became apparent that he couldn’t, he called his friend at the CIA. Assistant Director Joseph Rench couldn’t help either, and Mike became worried.

Dr. Kinney and his classes were the first thing Kelly thought of when she saw the terrorists’ plans. In Dorothy May Mercer’s EMP Honeymoon, Dr. Kinney’s expertise was certainly needed. Dr. Kinney possessed critical knowledge about nuclear power and how it could affect things. Kelly’s pursuers, however, were aware that she had seen what they were doing. Surely she would have questions and would try to stop them. What would they do if their plans were somehow discovered? Kelly posed too much of a risk to what they had in mind to just let her go.

I really liked the fact that a foreign government was involved in this plot. The results were scary, but I believe that they were realistic. I also liked that the characters were so down-to-earth. At one point, a visitor was shown "fanning her pits" from the heat of the Honduran air. I additionally appreciated that when the scene changed, the reader was alerted by sub-headings in the chapter. This helped to avoid confusion regarding what was happening.

There was not much negative to say about this novel. The only thing that I can see is that I was not happy with each chapter beginning with the title of the book and the author’s name. It seemed excessive, but I suppose that it did keep these points fresh in the reader’s mind.

I recommend this novel to those interested in nuclear power and nuclear energy. It would be better suited to more adult readers, not because of any problems with profanity or sexual situations, but because the content would need such a high level of explanation for younger readers. It would not be for those who see every little threat as a certainty. I enjoyed the explanation of some of the more difficult concepts at the end of the book. It helped me to understand what was going on, and I think that it would be helpful for those to whom the novel is recommended.

I rate this novel 4 out of 4 stars. It is technical enough to convey the seriousness of the issue, but not so much so as to truly scare the reader. The included photos towards the beginning of the book helped the reader picture the problems that might occur. I was very intrigued by those photos. Since there were few errors, I have concluded that this book has been professionally edited.

E M P Honeymoon
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
asteel18
Currently Reading: Bluewater Walkabout
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asteel18.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by asteel18 »

Maybe I should give this another try. I sampled it a few weeks back and just couldn't get into it.
-Amy
NancyDrew12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nancydrew12.html
Latest Review: The Tooth Fairy Makes A Mistake by Great-Aunt Rita

Post by NancyDrew12 »

I love when characters are relatable. It makes the story so much more fun to read. I think I'm going to try this book. Thank you for a excellent review! :D
Amy Luman

Post by Amy Luman »

asteel18 wrote: 21 Jan 2022, 07:55 Maybe I should give this another try. I sampled it a few weeks back and just couldn't get into it.
I think that if you push through you’ll be glad you did
Amy Luman

Post by Amy Luman »

Rashawn Carter wrote: 21 Jan 2022, 08:28 I love when characters are relatable. It makes the story so much more fun to read. I think I'm going to try this book. Thank you for a excellent review! :D
I like books about terrorist activity. Thanks for commenting!
Raymonda onwuka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raymonda-onwuka.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Raymonda onwuka »

I love stories that you can easily connect to the characters. I already love the character Kelly. Thanks for the great review.
Amy Luman

Post by Amy Luman »

Raymonda Dazzy wrote: 21 Jan 2022, 22:54 I love stories that you can easily connect to the characters. I already love the character Kelly. Thanks for the great review.
If not for her we’d be in real trouble. Thanks for commenting!
Vivian Stones
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: The Maestro Monologue
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivian-stones.html
Latest Review: The Silicon Divide by Danielle Nowell

Post by Vivian Stones »

Amazing this review, great book. I should read this, seems interesting.
Amy Luman

Post by Amy Luman »

Fine Brand wrote: 22 Jan 2022, 12:03 Amazing this review, great book. I should read this, seems interesting.
Do!
Darlings O
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 100
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darlington-onuoha.html
Latest Review: Imperfect Lives Perfect Grace by Dr. E.M. Johnson

Post by Darlings O »

This book seems like such an amazing read to the extent you gave it a perfect rating. I'm curious to know what happened in the book. I guess I would have to read it to find out. Thank you
Amy Luman

Post by Amy Luman »

Darlington O wrote: 24 Jan 2022, 19:30 This book seems like such an amazing read to the extent you gave it a perfect rating. I'm curious to know what happened in the book. I guess I would have to read it to find out. Thank you
Do! Thanks for commenting.
Muskan Upadhyaya
Currently Reading: The Legacy of Job's Wife
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-muskan-upadhyaya.html
Latest Review: Wisdom by Arun mago

Post by Muskan Upadhyaya »

I am really curious to know how the results were scary and what's the role of foreign government in this story.
Latest Review: Wisdom by Arun mago
OTrain Disene
Currently Reading: Flight Quack
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-otrain-disene.html
Latest Review: Mysteries by Graham Wilson

Post by OTrain Disene »

The characters in this book seemed to have carried the book on their back. I wonder what was it that made the person to look for help from so many people.
Amy Luman

Post by Amy Luman »

OTrain M wrote: 26 Jan 2022, 09:16 The characters in this book seemed to have carried the book on their back. I wonder what was it that made the person to look for help from so many people.
Thanks for commenting!
Amy Luman

Post by Amy Luman »

Muskan Upadhyaya wrote: 25 Jan 2022, 22:55 I am really curious to know how the results were scary and what's the role of foreign government in this story.
Thanks for commenting! :techie-studyingbrown:

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”