Review of Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Juliette1812
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliette1812.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Review of Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In

Post by Juliette1812 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In" by Harold Toliver.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Harold Toliver's non-fiction novel Mythic worlds and the ones you can believe in is about human nature and the attitudes we have regarding modern society and what we believe in. The book is about myths such as religion and politics, which are usually used to control people, as the title suggests.
The book covers a wide range of topics, including terrorism, religions, philosophy, literature, history and so on. My favorite portion of the book was when it discussed how we pray fervently for God's protection over our lives and the lives of our loved ones daily, and what happens? They still die, they still become sick, they still become victims of accidents and I'll be honest, I've often wondered why we pray. Its a question that has always been avoided and while reading this book I started to question if God truly exists and if prayers work, I know some prayers are answered but what if it is just a coincidence and they were meant to happen anyway, either you pray or not and at this point, I do not know what to believe in. The author, Harold Toliver, is a well-educated man, I could sense it in his words. I discovered while reading the book that the author did not believe in God.
This is a fantastic book, but it was not one I loved. I didn't enjoy the sophisticated vocabulary employed, which made me consult my dictionary frequently; nonetheless, the good news is that I learned new words. It also made me feel like I was reading a textbook, and I'm sick of lectures. This book also makes you question your faith because it makes you think about and question things that I believe we should not think about or question. At one point, I wanted to stop reading the book since it wasn't captivating or fascinating enough for me.
I rate this book 2 out of 4 stars. I couldn't understand the words since they were too advanced for me, it didn't allow the words and sentences to make sense to me. The plot appears disjointed to me. Professional editing was done on the book. This book was free of mistakes. I struggled to complete the book, and only my curiosity kept me going.
People who have religious ideals and are prone to question their faith should not read this book. For research purposes, I recommend it to college students and those who are curious about nature.

Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Edet Joy
Currently Reading: Snatched Up to Heaven for Kids
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-edet-joy.html
Latest Review: All Body Bags and No Knickers by Shawe Ruckus

Post by Edet Joy »

I wouldn't want a book that makes me start doubting my faith so I'll let this one be. Thanks for the honest review!
Themmie10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-themmie10.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Themmie10 »

I agree with the above comment. From your comment, I can sense the author is an educated person. Nice review tho!
Ghrey Thel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ghrey-thel.html
Latest Review: Hard Journey of the Heart: Jesse's Story by Mark Zullo

Post by Ghrey Thel »

I'm a Christian and I have a feeling that I would be triggered if I read a book like this. Nice review
Boredreader24
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-boredreader24.html
Latest Review: Rulers of the Galaxy by Tayma Tameem

Post by Boredreader24 »

Books that choose rational thinking over faith?
Count me in, from your review I personally feel like your religious beliefs affected your rating of the book and that the 2 out of 4 stars is not the deserved rating. I'll endeavor to read this book myself and rate it accordingly.
The review was okay to say the least.
Regard003
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-regard003.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Regard003 »

I've always been scared of reading this book. But your review has given me more Insight.. thank for the honest review
IamPeculiar01
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iampeculiar01.html
Latest Review: Twisted But True by Darren Burch

Post by IamPeculiar01 »

A book that would make me question my faith isn't one I would love to read. Thanks for the review!
Oyedele Tomijane
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cleverspider001.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Oyedele Tomijane »

Quite a lot of times, rational thinking disagrees with faith, and it really is hard to know what to do sometimes. My faith is still growing and I think this book would be quite damaging to it. Hence, I would not read this. Thanks for the great review.
Rita Nuncia
Currently Reading: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rita-nuncia.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush

Post by Rita Nuncia »

An interesting book though I will have to pass for now. Thanks for the honest review
Stella Aniemeka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stella-aniemeka.html
Latest Review: Architect of Death at Auschwitz by John W Primomo

Post by Stella Aniemeka »

The battle between rational thinking and faith is indeed a huge one and I'm already on the path to strengthen my faith, I do not think this book would help me in any way. So I wouldn't read this but you did a good job in the review.
Ekanem Onyinye Uduak-Abasi
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekanem-onyinye-uduak-abasi.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Ekanem Onyinye Uduak-Abasi »

As a strong Christian, I won't want to read anything that would create doubts in my beliefs. I don't think I would like to read this book
Oreoluwa21
Favorite Book: Kalayla
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oreoluwa21.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Oreoluwa21 »

Since I'm looking to expand my vocabulary, I think I'd like to read this book, and on the faith part, I believe creating doubts would only help one strongly believe in the end.
Olamide Ogunrayi
Currently Reading: Vagabond
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-olamide-ogunrayi.html
Latest Review: The Altitude Journals by David J Mauro

Post by Olamide Ogunrayi »

I like how you highlighted the negative and positive aspects of this book. While the rational thinking in this book can clash with the faith of some religious people I would like to give it a look because I've noticed some faiths that align with rationality and this would be a good point to start. However I do stand with you if a lot of large vocabulary was used. This can make it hard for general readers to follow or understand what the author is trying to portray.
Olamide Ogunrayi
Currently Reading: Vagabond
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-olamide-ogunrayi.html
Latest Review: The Altitude Journals by David J Mauro

Post by Olamide Ogunrayi »

Boredreader24 wrote: 26 Jan 2022, 10:04 Books that choose rational thinking over faith?
Count me in, from your review I personally feel like your religious beliefs affected your rating of the book and that the 2 out of 4 stars is not the deserved rating. I'll endeavor to read this book myself and rate it accordingly.
The review was okay to say the least.
Honestly, I agree with you. I feel their faith must have affected the book's rating and there must have been some solid points there. But while this is the case, the author's skepticism could also play a part in their view of some faiths. Though, this would be a whole different story if the author is open minded and I also look forward to reading the book for myself.
Stephen Ogunwale
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adeyemi-stephen.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Stephen Ogunwale »

I belong to a particular faith but I love to explore since I get to learn new stuff. I will rather give the book a trial since I read all my books from a neutral standpoint. Well done
Valar Morghulis, Valar Dohaerys. 🦅⚓🖤

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”