Review of Who Told You That You Were Naked?

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Maria Dimitrova
Currently Reading: Totem
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maria-dimitrova.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Review of Who Told You That You Were Naked?

Post by Maria Dimitrova »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

"Who told you that you were naked?" by William Combs is a Christian book, which begins with the creation of Adam and Eve. It goes through events such as the commission of the first sin, the building of Noah's ark, the crucifixion of Christ and more. All the time the topic under consideration is what is the relationship of man with God and what the reasons are for it and its condition.

The cover is well chosen and relevant to the story. The question in the title is also eye-catching. However, it is far from the only question and is not addressed throughout the whole book. What really is sin? Are there “good people” in the world? Why was the tree of knowledge planted next to the tree of life? How does God guide us in our lives? What is the difference between "little-faith" and small faith? These are some of the other inquiries in the book.

Different interpretations of events known to many people are presented. In addition to the author's reflections, there are excerpts from various religious books to confirm his words. There are personal stories that help the things explained to be understood and presented more easily, as well as stories of fictional characters that tell first-hand about the events that take place in the Bible. An example of the latter is Jared, whose struggles help us better understand the "little-faith" concept.

The book consists of approximately 200 pages and is divided into 10 chapters, which makes it fast to read. The first three chapters tell about the lives of Adam and Eve, as well as those of their children. Then, chapters five and six discuss the author's understanding of the meaning of faith. In the tenth chapter, everyone is called to follow God. At the end of each section, there are questions that make you reconsider what you have read in order to be able to answer them.

I especially liked the analysis of the parts of the Bible used, as the author looked in depth at the differences in meaning between the original language in which they were written and their translation. I found that they could not really have the same meaning in both languages and I was interested to find out about the differences and the different possibilities for interpretation they provided.

Something I didn't like was how the book got too slow at times. One passage was analyzed for too long and then it went to another that seemed to have little in common with its predecessor. Also, sometimes I had the feeling that the author's point of view was forced on me. However, these things are a very small part of the book as a whole and it deserves 4 out of 4 stars. What was written was professionally edited.

As much as I like the book, I would not recommend it to anyone who is not interested in the Christian religion.

Who Told You That You Were Naked?
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”