Review of Kalayla

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ceeco2002
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ceeco2002.html
Latest Review: Rebuilt Recovery - Complete Series by Heather L Phipps

Review of Kalayla

Post by Ceeco2002 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Kalayla" by Jeannie Nicholas.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

How quickly can a mother sever ties and lose the love she once had for her child just because she fell short of expectations? This book is essentially built on the life of three ladies who have each been dealt a fair deal of blows in life. They are Kalayla, Lena, and Maureen. Kalayla is an 11-year-old who can be described as an independent, sassy, and foul-mouthed little girl. Despite the indifferent and rude behaviors she always displays, she still has a little bit of that child-like sweetness, love, and care inside of her.

Maureen is the widowed mother of Kalayla, who got disowned by her parents because she married a black man. Lena is Maureen's landlady. She is a 72-year-old woman who picks interest in Kalayla the first day she sees her. After failing as a mother to her children and seeing how busy Maureen always is, she tries to be there for Kalayla and hopes she can stop her from threading the wrong path in life like her children did. As the story progresses, Lena discovers a huge secret Maureen has been keeping from her daughter for years and warns Maureen of what could happen if her daughter finds out. Will Kalayla ever discover this secret? What exactly is it? Find out by reading Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas.

There are so many things I liked about this book. I loved the way each character had a particular point of view. Through this prism or mirror, their varying and unique stories are told personally and intimately. This gave many insights into the characters' personal thoughts and feelings. The writer was also able to construct a connection between past and present events without altering the smooth flow and understanding of the storyline. The characters were well-formed and developed right till the very end of this book. One would feel like he was living among the characters in this novel due to the writer’s superb writing style and how real every event in the book felt.

I found absolutely nothing to dislike about this book. I’ve got to say; this is one of the best books I’ve read in a long while. The book was exceptionally edited, as I found no single error while reading. This made understanding the storyline in this work of fiction much easier. I want to warn readers, however, that this book contains a good number of profane words and minor instances of racism.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. I did not give it a lower rating because I completely enjoyed reading this book and found nothing to dislike about it. I recommend this book to everyone who would like to read about concepts like resilience and strength in the face of hardships, forgiveness, reunions, maturity, and love.

Kalayla
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

I have read so many good reviews of this book. I hope I can meet these three fascinating women soon. Oh, four, including Jeannie.
Ceeco2002
Currently Reading:

Post by Ceeco2002 »

Miriam Molina wrote: 09 Apr 2022, 14:04 I have read so many good reviews of this book. I hope I can meet these three fascinating women soon. Oh, four, including Jeannie.
You definitely won't regret meeting them Miriam. Thanks for stopping by.
Amy Luman
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Time Before Time by Dan DuBose
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

The first few reviews I read of this book discouraged me from reading it. I’m glad I read just one more! Your review really piqued my interest in this. I feel bad for Kalayla AND I wonder what Maureen’s secret could be. Thanks for the great review!
Aisha Yakub
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aisha-yakub.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Aisha Yakub »

I enjoyed reading the connection between the past and present too. This book has a great character development. Great review.
Chesko
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chesko.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Chesko »

You ask an intriguing and interesting question at the opening of this review. I wish we'd get a certain answer. Nice review.
GNerd
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gnerd.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C

Post by GNerd »

Your review was intriguing. I hope they all find a path that leads to fulfilment.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I'm glad the author put so many positive messages in this book. However, it's not for me. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Ceeco2002
Currently Reading:

Post by Ceeco2002 »

Amy Luman wrote: 09 Apr 2022, 18:46 The first few reviews I read of this book discouraged me from reading it. I’m glad I read just one more! Your review really piqued my interest in this. I feel bad for Kalayla AND I wonder what Maureen’s secret could be. Thanks for the great review!
I'm glad you enjoyed reading my review. Kalayla is worth every second spent on it. Thanks for stopping by.
Ceeco2002
Currently Reading:

Post by Ceeco2002 »

Raymond N wrote: 10 Apr 2022, 02:28 I enjoyed reading the connection between the past and present too. This book has a great character development. Great review.
Yes, I agree with you. Thanks for stopping by.
Ceeco2002
Currently Reading:

Post by Ceeco2002 »

Chesko wrote: 10 Apr 2022, 04:18 You ask an intriguing and interesting question at the opening of this review. I wish we'd get a certain answer. Nice review.
The answer would be shocking, trust me. Thanks for stopping by.
Tendy567
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tendy567.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Tendy567 »

I've recently read this book and I loved everything about it. Great review.
OTrain Disene
Currently Reading: Flight Quack
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-otrain-disene.html
Latest Review: Mysteries by Graham Wilson

Post by OTrain Disene »

I have read this book a year ago, and I enjoyed it. Although I didn't like how spoilt Kalayla was. She was talking to her elders like they were her peers.
Oyedele Tomijane
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cleverspider001.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Oyedele Tomijane »

This sounds like an excellent character-driven story. I'm glad Lena came into Kalayla's life. Thanks for the lovely review!
Francis Aderogbin
Favorite Book: Money Faucet
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 189
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-francis-aderogbin.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Francis Aderogbin »

Kalayla is a nice girl and witty. I love her character.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”