Review of A Dream For Peace

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ikechukwuamarachi+55
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 323
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ikechukwuamarachi-55.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Review of A Dream For Peace

Post by ikechukwuamarachi+55 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "A Dream For Peace" by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Dr. Gboulem Berrah’s desire for independence started when he was a child. The racism and maltreatment of the natives and citizens of Algeria by the French colonialist irritated him. He showed his agitation when he was in high school, and this continued until he got to the university in Bordeaux to run a medical program in France. This book contains major themes like independence, peace, war, patriotism, etc.

Berrah and some students from Morocco, Algeria, Tunisia, Vietnam, Madagascar, and other French colonies in North Africa formed the association of North African Muslim students and other associations to discuss the problems they encountered while trying to fight for the independence of African countries. To learn more about how Algeria and the African countries gained independence and the roles played by Berrah and his companions turned brothers, read A Dream for Peace

This book is full of interesting events that kept me attached to the book until the end. At some points, I wished the author had continued writing about his experience. An intriguing part is the level of religious tolerance I discovered in Berrah’s family. Even when he was a child in Algeria, they interacted and related well with their neighbors. Berrah aided them by switching on their lights on the sabbath because their religious belief did not permit them to engage in mechanical activities. His zeal for independence and always reaching out to his brothers, especially when they humiliated and imprisoned them, is mind-blowing. Also, I will commend the effort and ability of the author to be accurate in the dates of events mentioned in the book.

The author provided enough pictures to back up his experiences from his childhood, throughout the struggle for independence, his diplomatic duties in Cote d’ Ivoire, and so on. I could relate the narration of various events to the photos, making my reading experience a smooth one. I was expecting to see a glossary or the definition of some technical words in the book, but I found none. This would have reduced the level of distraction I experienced while reading the book. However, it did not prevent me from enjoying this book. 

A Dream for Peace is a nonfiction book that highlights the importance of peace and the adverse effects of war on a country. I will rate this book four out of four stars because I found minor errors that didn’t affect my reading experience. I would recommend this book to nationalists and diplomats because they will learn a lot from the protagonist’s experience. It will also increase the motivation anyone needs to protect a country and its citizens from foreign domination.

A Dream For Peace
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Chesko
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chesko.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Chesko »

Dr. Ghoulem was a legend in his own right. His diplomatic contribution to Africa has to be appreciated. Thanks for this lovely review.
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 482
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by markodim721 »

The book is a very important testimony at the level of high diplomacy about a period crucial for the history of postcolonial Africa. Thanks for the good review.
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Time Before Time
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: All the Targets by Noah Bond
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I like that you highlighted the amount of religious tolerance in Dr. Berrah’s family. I have read so many reviews of this book thatI feel as if I have read it. Each one discusses something different. Dr. Berrah is an extraordinary man.
ikechukwuamarachi+55
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:

Amy Luman wrote: 17 Apr 2022, 08:31 I like that you highlighted the amount of religious tolerance in Dr. Berrah’s family. I have read so many reviews of this book thatI feel as if I have read it. Each one discusses something different. Dr. Berrah is an extraordinary man.
Exactly! Thanks.
ikechukwuamarachi+55
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:

markodim721 wrote: 17 Apr 2022, 07:48 The book is a very important testimony at the level of high diplomacy about a period crucial for the history of postcolonial Africa. Thanks for the good review.
Thank you for your comment.
ikechukwuamarachi+55
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:

Chesko wrote: 11 Apr 2022, 04:15 Dr. Ghoulem was a legend in his own right. His diplomatic contribution to Africa has to be appreciated. Thanks for this lovely review.
Truly, I agree with you. Thanks
Ikechukwu+12345
Currently Reading: TBD
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ikechukwu-12345.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Ikechukwu+12345 »

I am currently reading this book, and i must say it is really interesting. Ghoulem is a hero, he is exceptional in all aspect. Well done
Lawrence+2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lawrence-2.html
Latest Review: The Ranting of an Uneducated Reactionary by Oscar J. Phillips

Post by Lawrence+2 »

It takes huge amount of bravery and risk to push for independence of a nation. I really admire ghoulem for his diplomacy in achieving this fate. Tremendous review by the way.
honeybear_11001
Currently Reading: A Dream For Peace
Bookshelf Size: 190
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-honeybear-11001.html
Latest Review: Love Yourself & Lose Weight: The Success Story of Self Love by Katie Lips

Post by honeybear_11001 »

Seems like a great read. I'll be sure to check it out. Thanks for the wonderful insight and summary of the book. Can't wait to read it.
KafeliKe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kafelike.html
Latest Review: The Party Line by Dennis D. Gagnon

Post by KafeliKe »

Dr. Berrah Ghoulem, a revolutionist from Algeria, Africa wrote this inspirational book with zeal. His life was exemplary and I learned a lot from it. Thanks for summarizing this book.
Ikechukwu Blessing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ikechukwu-blessing.html
Latest Review: ChatGPT for Entrepreneurs by Steven A. Ridder

Post by Ikechukwu Blessing »

Racism is a virus that has eaten up some set of individuals,however,the need to educate citizens on the adverse effects of racism is essential as it hinders a nation's global success,inability to have quality interaction with other foreigners which might actually lead to war. Nice work.
Nino Chinonso Onwurah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nino-chinonso-onwurah.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C

Post by Nino Chinonso Onwurah »

It is great minds that stand up for freedom and justice in the face of slavery, racism, and maltreatment. Your review has shown that this book bears invaluable lessons.
Chiwendu Ikechukwu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chiwendu-ikechukwu.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Chiwendu Ikechukwu »

An intriguing part of Dr Ghoulem is his courage and perseverance. I think I have a whole lot to emulate from him. Great review.
Christabel Egbeama
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christabel-egbeama.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet
Reading Device: B09KBSDRDG

Post by Christabel Egbeama »

There are so many things I like about Dr. Ghoulem Berrah. One of which is his ability to stand firm for what is right. The contributions he made throughout his life time is one of it.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”