Review of A Dream For Peace

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Janet Kimetto
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janet-kimetto.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Review of A Dream For Peace

Post by Janet Kimetto »

[Following is a volunteer review of "A Dream For Peace" by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I'd say A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah is a memoir unlike any other, but what do I know? That's what it feels like, though, considering the kind of life the author led. The period in which he was born and the career he chose particularly make this book a great source of history.

Dr. Berrah was born in Aïn Beïda, Constantine, Algeria, during the colonial period. The French government had divided the country into three territories—Constantine, Oran, and Algiers. He was only five when his father died, and his mother saw to it that he excelled in his education. Being his mother's only son, Dr. Berrah received so much love and attention from her.

This book follows Dr. Ghoulem Berrah's early life, his pursuit of education (and his major discoveries in his field of study), his part in Algeria's fight for liberation, his career, and his love life. It isn't just about Africa, though. For example, we see in detail how he and President Houphouët-Boigny of Côte d’Ivoire actively advocated for dialogue between Israel and Palestine. There's also a lot about interfaith marriage because Dr. Berrah and his wife managed to make their two religions (Islam and Christianity) work together.

I found a lot to like about this book. Its best feature is the priceless history it contains. The influence Dr. Berrah had as a diplomatic advisor to President Houphouët-Boigny went far beyond the Ivorian borders. He, just like President Houphouët-Boigny, emphasized the advantage of using dialogue in solving issues. Some of the stories told include Algeria's fight for liberation, Angola's independence war, and the struggle against the apartheid regime in South Africa.

The chapter titled “Diplomacy of Smiles” is the one I enjoyed reading the most. It is a collection of random memories. I couldn't help but think about the author reminiscing, writing this chapter with a smile on his face. That's the way I read it, with a smile on my face.

I liked the description of the Chaouis—a proud and powerful people not afraid to stand for what they want. That was in the first chapter, and it made me hopeful about the book. The love Dr. Berrah shared with his wife is also worth mentioning. It's not every day one finds a love like theirs. It withstood the test of time, literally.

A Dream For Peace receives 4 out of 4 stars from me. I found no negative aspects, and the book is well edited. I recommend it to anyone who wants to learn more about Africa's colonial period, independence, and the struggle for peace (both before and after independence). This is not a history book per se, but the author's position with President Houphouët-Boigny put him in a position to know more. This book contains neither profanity nor sexual content.

A Dream For Peace
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
“Be wary. Be clever. Be good.”
MsH2k
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

This book is on my list to read, and I look forward to learning about the life of this remarkable man and the world events during this time. Thank you for a lovely review and renewing my interest in this read!
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

I'm looking forward to read this book. I love memoirs and this one seems to be very promising :) Thanks for a great review!
Chinazo Anozie
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 310
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinazo-anozie.html
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: The Little Golf Bag Book by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Chinazo Anozie »

I have also read this book and of the many reviews I've seen about it, yours is the one i connected to the most. Thank you!
Amy Luman
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Zona II by Fred G. Baker
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I, also, have read many reviews of this book, but this is the first one to mention the adoration of his mother. Could that be the reason for his success?
honeybear_11001
Currently Reading: A Dream For Peace
Bookshelf Size: 190
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-honeybear-11001.html
Latest Review: Love Yourself & Lose Weight: The Success Story of Self Love by Katie Lips

Post by honeybear_11001 »

I love memoirs. Seems like a delightful read. Thanks for the wonderful summary and review. Can't wait to read it.
Judy_Akha
Currently Reading: When No One Else Believed
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-judy-akha.html
Latest Review: The Dragon Who Would Be King by Anne Peters

Post by Judy_Akha »

While reading this book, I felt like it was more informative than history books. Dr. Ghoulem Berrah had an inspirational and meaningful life. Thanks for your nice review.
Emmanuel Okotie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 108
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emmanuel-okotie.html
Latest Review: VROOM! Barry, Kari and the Power Boost! by William G Wilberforce III

Post by Emmanuel Okotie »

Your review is quite captivating and unique.
I'm not really a great fan of memoirs. However, I'd love to give this book a try especially because of the aspect that talks about interfaith marriage. I also think there's certainly a lot to learn from this book including the valuable history it contains. I'll add this one to my shelf.
Great review.
Janet Kimetto
Currently Reading:

Post by Janet Kimetto »

MsH2k wrote: 21 Apr 2022, 19:10 This book is on my list to read, and I look forward to learning about the life of this remarkable man and the world events during this time. Thank you for a lovely review and renewing my interest in this read!
There is a lot to learn for sure. Dr. Berrah did live. I was worried about the book's length at first, but I soon got over it. Thank you for stopping by and for your kind words, MsH2k!
Janet Kimetto
Currently Reading:

Post by Janet Kimetto »

Ellylion wrote: 24 Apr 2022, 08:13 I'm looking forward to read this book. I love memoirs and this one seems to be very promising :) Thanks for a great review!
Then you would surely love it. Thank you for stopping by!
Janet Kimetto
Currently Reading:

Post by Janet Kimetto »

Nazzo wrote: 24 Apr 2022, 10:34,
I have also read this book and of the many reviews I've seen about it, yours is the one i connected to the most. Thank you!
Thank you so much for your kind words, Nazzo! We try!
Janet Kimetto
Currently Reading:

Post by Janet Kimetto »

Amy Luman wrote: 24 Apr 2022, 13:53 I, also, have read many reviews of this book, but this is the first one to mention the adoration of his mother. Could that be the reason for his success?
Yes, her mother was a big part of his success; he tells us that. He dedicated the book to her and said she shaped the man he became. And “through love, all is possible,” yes?(Crescent City). Thank you for stopping by!
Muna Chizzy
Currently Reading: Gardening With Guns
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-muna-chizzy.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Muna Chizzy »

I'm inspired by the author's story. He is brave and resilient. He fought for the course of peace and the welfare of his people. Thanks for the review.
EssyJ
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-essyj.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by EssyJ »

Dr. Ghourrem has seemingly lived a meaningful life as captured in this memoir. Thanks for the detailed review.
Mildred Echesa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mildred-echesa.html
Latest Review: Catch A Raven by Kirro Burrows

Post by Mildred Echesa »

This is one of those books I look at, and I feel the author was successful. Dr. Ghoul has a very successful life and career, and he is brutal in decolonization of Africa. I enjoyed your review so much
Poetic Justice

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”