Review of The path from backpack to briefcase 2nd. idition

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sharon Christanto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharon-christanto.html
Latest Review: The path from backpack to briefcase 2nd. idition by R. William Holland, PhD
Reading Device: B09N3YBXCN

Review of The path from backpack to briefcase 2nd. idition

Post by Sharon Christanto »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The path from backpack to briefcase 2nd. idition" by R. William Holland, PhD.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

One of the most vital parts of life is choosing a college or university major. This excellent non-fiction book, The Path From Backpack to Briefcase: A Parent's Guide (2nd edition) by R. William Holland, provides a valuable guide regarding this topic.

The author describes the paths in choosing a suitable college or university major for parents and students. Firstly, parents or educators need to open discussions or counseling sessions with their children or students. The author provides five golden rules for effective counseling. These rules will make parents/educators understand the students' wants and needs, and the student will also feel their voices heard. After the healthy discussions ended, they could choose suitable majors and universities.

There are some chapters in this book intended for students. Those are valuable tips on surviving the first year in college, the importance of having externships or internships to broaden working experience, and the skills needed before entering work. The author even suggests things to do if the students cannot get professional careers after graduating.

There are several things I like about this book. Most readers will relate to the case illustration, as it commonly happens in everyday life. The facts are supported by credible journals and news articles, even though they are outdated by this year. Students can apply the author's tips universally. Even though the author targets US students and parents, the same principles in choosing college majors and working fields occur in every part of the world. Holland uses simple English to write the book. Non-native English speakers can read it without too much hassle. The last point that makes The Path From Backpack to Briefcase stand out from other similar self-improvement books is the chapter about college fees. The author reminds the readers that it's not taboo to discuss these matters first before entering college, especially if the family has financial struggles.

The only negative aspect of the book is the page layout. Some words have no spacing, and the paragraphs are not all justified. There are also two minor misspellings. It would be better if the book went into another round of editing to make it more comfortable to read.

In conclusion, I found this book an informative yet entertaining read. Therefore, I give this book a 4 out of 4 stars. The author's friendly tone in writing makes the students not feel judged or offended. Students and parents in developing countries could also benefit from the tips given in this book. I did not have reason to deduct a star because the page layout only caused minor discomfort while reading. I recommend this book to parents, high school students, and undergraduates to prepare themselves before entering work life.

The path from backpack to briefcase 2nd. idition
View: on Bookshelves
Emmanuel Okotie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 108
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emmanuel-okotie.html
Latest Review: VROOM! Barry, Kari and the Power Boost! by William G Wilberforce III

Post by Emmanuel Okotie »

This is an amazing book. It sure has something for both parents and students. I'd love to read this book and also love to learn about the five golden rules for effective counseling.
Your review was insightful. Thank you
Mildred Echesa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mildred-echesa.html
Latest Review: Catch A Raven by Kirro Burrows

Post by Mildred Echesa »

I read this book, and it was such an amazing book. It has great content on how to survive at the university and have the right career. Your review is also very insightful and I enjoyed it
Poetic Justice
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

Sounds like a valuable read for those looking for a good college. Frankly speaking, the book is not my cup of tea, but I guess it finds interested readers easily :) Thanks for a great review!
Sarah Sonbol
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-sonbol.html
Latest Review: Virus 4 Peace by June
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Sarah Sonbol »

This book seems really valuable and informative for parents and students. I will add it to my wish-list. Thanks for the great and informative review.
Latest Review: Virus 4 Peace by June
Muna Chizzy
Currently Reading: Gardening With Guns
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-muna-chizzy.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Muna Chizzy »

This book will be beneficial to parents and students. It would also help parents understand what their kids want in terms of choosing a school they would study and the course they would love to major in. Thanks for the informative review.
Nwaka Chukwuemeka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nwaka-chukwuemeka.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Nwaka Chukwuemeka »

Wow what a wonderful book, I have learnt a lot from the review already, I will advise all parents and student should read the book.
sayoniwrites
Currently Reading: The Scarlet Letter
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sayoniwrites.html
Latest Review: Red Endures the Test of Time by Thomas Fullmer

Post by sayoniwrites »

What a wonderful and insightful review! I think every student and parent should read this book. Too bad about the page layout though, since the content seems highly valuable. Great review.
sayoniwrites
Currently Reading: The Scarlet Letter
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sayoniwrites.html
Latest Review: Red Endures the Test of Time by Thomas Fullmer

Post by sayoniwrites »

What an informative book! I think this book helps students immensely. I will recommend this book to people I know who might benefit from this. Great recommendation. Thanks for writing an insightful review.
Chinedum Chijioke
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Neither Safe Nor Effective (2nd Edition)
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinedum-chijioke.html
Latest Review: The Fairy Tale of Peckham Rye Park by MeM Tekari

Post by Chinedum Chijioke »

I'm glad a book like this exists. Our parents will really find this really handy as a lot do not know how to follow up with their children's ambitions.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”