Review of A Dream For Peace

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3018
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Nimue by Ayn Cates Sullivan

Review of A Dream For Peace

Post by Kibet Hillary »

[Following is a volunteer review of "A Dream For Peace" by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Born in Aïn Beïda in 1938, when Algeria was still under the French, Dr. Berrah experienced the slow eradication of his culture through an education system whose goal was to make the learners forget their heritage. His simple dream then was to become the town’s famous acrobatic rider. Little did he know he would be famous but not in his hometown and certainly not by courageously and skillfully riding on horseback; his fame would stem from fighting for independence, self-governance, and a united world. Till then, the journey would be rough and filled with treacherous players.

A Dream For Peace, a memoir authored by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah, details the ambassador’s childhood, studies in France and the United States, his fight for liberation, and work as a personal assistant of the president of Côte d’Ivoire, President Félix Houphouët-Boigny. I enjoyed reading this memoir, as it offers the right balance between a seasoned diplomat, a world changer, and a master storyteller. In addition to admiring his outstanding achievements, I loved the author’s skillful writing; the book proves that he was a wordsmith.

In a rare show of humility, Dr. Berrah chose to walk in the shadow of President Houphouët-Boigny, portraying him as the country’s premier, just as he was; it is not that the president was not equal to the task, but others would have chosen to focus on themselves in their memoirs. Consequently, this trait mesmerized me throughout the book. At some point, I thought he had decided to focus solely on the president’s achievements. Indeed, it was a testament that he had earned the president’s trust, which saw him trotting the globe to represent the Ivorian head of state.

Like the great men and women who have walked the Earth, not all his dreams for peace and a united world have been fulfilled. Luckily, his firm hope in the youth, coupled with the strong foundation he has laid through his works, working towards a unified world is made possible. As he constantly experienced and even reiterated in his book, it will not be easy, but it is achievable. Above all, he shows that the unification of the world must never neglect the pursuit of unity and love in the family. The concluding chapter entails a clarion call with succinct action points and goals from the author.

I rate this memoir four out of four. It is hard to summarize such a book in a short review but anyone interested in the power of diplomacy and the unity of the planet will enjoy poring over it as they gain more information. I disliked absolutely nothing about it, although I would have preferred a more balanced view of the president. I have not read much about him, and hence I do not know his weaknesses, but I feel this aspect was not given much attention. Nonetheless, this is a matter of personal preference. Readers who prefer dialogue to force in resolving conflicts and on the path toward world peace will immensely appreciate the vision and work of Dr. Berrah.

A Dream For Peace
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Timothee22
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: David Schwarzkopf
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-timothee22.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer
fav_author_id: 248826

Post by Timothee22 »

This story was definitely not the best I have read, but it was not the worst either. It was average for me. I often found it rather slow.
Cesyao
Favorite Author: Jack Winnick
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cesyao.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe
fav_author_id: 77547

Post by Cesyao »

This book takes readers on an emotional journey, reminding us of the significance of peace in our lives and the world.
Elvischukwu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elvischukwu.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Elvischukwu »

The book's nuanced portrayal of the complexities of peacebuilding sheds light on the challenges and rewards of creating lasting change.
Kelvin Modilim
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelvin-modilim.html
Latest Review: Sound of Redemption by William John Rostron

Post by Kelvin Modilim »

I was deeply moved by the book's exploration of the sacrifices made by Algerian women in the fight for independence, highlighting their crucial roles and contributions.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”