Review of Pastoring is Not What You Think

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Okoye Chinonso+
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Spare Time Novels
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinonso-okoye.html
Latest Review: Yonder's Quest by Kyle Robertson
fav_author_id: 156444

Review of Pastoring is Not What You Think

Post by Okoye Chinonso+ »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Pastoring is Not What You Think" by Elijah Oladimeji.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Is it only in times of trouble that you turn to God? Is it only when things seem desperate and you can no longer advance that you remember God? Pastoring is Not What You Think by Elijah Oladimeji is a nonfiction book that talks about the life of Elijah, the author, and his time as a pastor in New York. It is a short book with 102 pages divided into 12 chapters, but it was able to talk about the hardships that pastors face.

Elijah, a man with very strong faith, is in a pinch where he doesn't even have enough money to pay for his house rent and, to top it up, buy his wife the car she keeps bothering him about. Everything seemed to not be going well for him; his house rent, the landlord constantly calling, having to settle the dispute between couples, his wife not only wanting a car for herself but also her mother, and more problems; but Elijah never lost faith. He kept praying and believing in the Lord. His faith was as unshakable as a mountain. Even when people thought he was crazy because of how much he spoke to himself (his wife had to call a psychiatrist), he said, "I am talking to God. God is ever present. He is near us right now." And as fate would have it, Elijah's faith was rewarded. Each of his problems was slowly but certainly solved unbelievably.

This was an interesting book. Acquiring knowledge of the things that pastors do and face was a great joy to acquire. Most times, some of us question why we give offerings and tithes to the church, forgetting that the church is also an organisation that requires money to continue running. It needs the help of its members to supply electricity to the church and pay other bills. I also loved how Elijah never, not once, lost faith. Even when I, the reader, wondered how he would get past the current hurdle, his faith remained strong. I always knew that everything that happens in life is either a trial from God, a punishment for our wrongdoings, or a reward for getting through the trial, but this time, I learned something new. Although things may look bad and somewhat impossible to get through, all it requires is an unshaken faith and trust that the Lord would help you out. Sometimes those bad days are the hurdles you need to pass to ready yourself for the beginning of a brighter future.

The book had just one typo error in it, and it didn't hinder me from understanding the information it contained. Except for that one typo, I found no fault in the book.

I rate the book 4 out of 4 stars. Like I indicated above, it had just one error but was an exceptional book nonetheless, so I don't think penalising a star would be fair.

The book was able to strengthen my faith, and I would like to strengthen the faith of others by recommending the book to them. I also firmly suggest that people looking to know about the miracles of the Lord read this book. They were all well detailed.

Pastoring is Not What You Think
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
I believe that great success is possible in any field - From music to mathematics to macro trading.
Kyrian007
Currently Reading: Hard Journey of the Heart: Jesse's Story
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kyrian007.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Kyrian007 »

Congrats on a good review. Your review has said it all about the book. it has explained how we should always stay faithful even when the odds are against us and the Lord will surprise us. It seems like an interesting book.
Oluwapelumi Rachael
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oluwapelumi-rachael.html
Latest Review: JTs World by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Oluwapelumi Rachael »

As Christians, faith is very important in all we do. I like that this book teaches to never stop having faith in God. I also like that the book shows the many difficulties that religious leaders face. Thanks for your review.
Chiamaka Ogadimma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chiamaka-ogadimma.html
Latest Review: JTs World by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Chiamaka Ogadimma »

Any book that has to do with God always interests me, so I am going to pick a copy of this book. I only imagine what Pastors go through, and I believe this book will give me insight. Wonderful review
Do more, talk less. Never get mad at another man's success.
Laney K
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laney-k.html
Latest Review: Uncharted Desires by Jillian Sharp
2024 Reading Goal: 50
2024 Goal Completion: 44%

Post by Laney K »

This seems like a nice glimpse into the world of being a pastor. Having only one little error is also a sign of a good book.
Peace10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peace10.html
Latest Review: Jurisdiction Denied by Jack Gold and Marc Debbaudt

Post by Peace10 »

This book is like a window into the lives of the men of God. God is there for them, but there are still some things they go through which nobody knows about.
Ikechukwu Blessing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ikechukwu-blessing.html
Latest Review: ChatGPT for Entrepreneurs by Steven A. Ridder

Post by Ikechukwu Blessing »

Faith is needed to break obstacles in life, it helps in overcoming temptations and issues of life.
Ukonu Rita
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ukonu-rita.html
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud

Post by Ukonu Rita »

Indeed, this is a spiritual inclined book that motivates you to draw closer to God. I'll love to give it a try. Thanks for the review.
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”