Review of Kalayla

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Okoye Chinonso+
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Spare Time Novels
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinonso-okoye.html
Latest Review: Yonder's Quest by Kyle Robertson
fav_author_id: 156444

Review of Kalayla

Post by Okoye Chinonso+ »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Kalayla" by Jeannie Nicholas.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas is an excellent book for self-healing and mental transformation. It is 407 pages long and divided into ten chapters. The story is told from the perspectives of three characters: Lena, Kalayla, and Maureen, all of whom focus on Kalayla's life from summer 1999 to December 2000—roughly more than a year.

Lena is a seventy-two-year-old woman whose life went from roses to thorns after she married her high-school lover for the sake of her family's business; and Maureen, Kalayla's mother, who was abandoned by her family after she married a black man, Jamal, tried everything possible to be there for Kalayla. Kalayla is an eleven-year-old girl who is very ill-mannered and is often referred to as "Miss Smart Mouth" by her mother. The story began with these three characters struggling to face reality, but as they encountered each other, they slowly but steadily began to change. If you want to know more about how the change occurred, try reading the book.

Every chapter of this book was a joy to read. It taught me that even if something happened in the past, if you aren't ready to face it head on, it will come back to haunt you. Despite the fact that Kalayla was a difficult nut to crack, I liked how Lena, who had more life experience (the majority of it sad), was able to help Maureen become a better mother and Kalayla become a decent daughter. I also liked the detailed descriptions of each character and the flow of the story, which made me think it was a nonfiction book at times. My favourite character was Lena. Although she is a lot older than me, the words she uttered and the manner in which she lived her life were so simple that anyone who paid attention could immediately comprehend what she was saying. I wouldn't mind rereading the book because it was so engaging.

It was a captivating book. I did not find a single error in the book. Instead, I was amused by how beautifully edited the book was and how detailed it was in assisting me with an accurate imagination. The only thing I partially disliked about the book is the number of profane words it uses. Kalayla is only eleven years old, but she uses far too many vulgar and abusive words for a child her age.

Although the amount of profanity used by Kalayla was innumerable, that was what made her who she was: an ill-mannered girl. Nonetheless, the book was fascinating, and there was nothing negative to say about it. Hence, I rate it four out of four stars.

The book has a lot of lessons to be learnt, which I enjoyed learning. Therefore, I would love to recommend this book to those willing to let go of their past and move forward.

Kalayla
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
I believe that great success is possible in any field - From music to mathematics to macro trading.
Kyrian007
Currently Reading: Hard Journey of the Heart: Jesse's Story
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kyrian007.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Kyrian007 »

Well reviewed. I know for a fact that Kalayla is an interesting book because I have read it. but thanks for your descriptive review.
Moyin Loveth
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moyin-loveth.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Moyin Loveth »

I really admired how Lena went out of her way to help Kalayla and her mother. Her kindness and consideration is what made her my favourite character.
Oyedeji Funmilayo
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oyedeji-funmilayo.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Oyedeji Funmilayo »

I have read Kalayla and I had a great time reading through. I liked the way the story was developed and more especially it's ending. Wonderful review welldone
Chiamaka Ogadimma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chiamaka-ogadimma.html
Latest Review: JTs World by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Chiamaka Ogadimma »

I have read Kalayla and I enjoyed reading the book. My favorite character is Lena and I loved the way it ended. You have a wonderful review by the way.
Do more, talk less. Never get mad at another man's success.
Peace10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peace10.html
Latest Review: Jurisdiction Denied by Jack Gold and Marc Debbaudt

Post by Peace10 »

I don’t think there should be anyone who hasn’t read Kalayla. If there is, the person should pick it up as soon as possible. The storyline is so amazing. Great review!
Christabel Benson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christabel-benson.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Christabel Benson »

Kalayla is a very interesting book that should be read by all. Nice review
Nwaka Chukwuemeka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nwaka-chukwuemeka.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Nwaka Chukwuemeka »

This book will always remain my favorite because the teamwork in the book can't be compared. Lena remains my favorite character. Good job.
Ikechukwu Blessing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ikechukwu-blessing.html
Latest Review: ChatGPT for Entrepreneurs by Steven A. Ridder

Post by Ikechukwu Blessing »

I love a book that is life-transforming and captivating at the same time. We always have to stay strong as we don't know what lies ahead of us.
Ukonu Rita
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ukonu-rita.html
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud

Post by Ukonu Rita »

Kalayla seems to he quite the handful, but she also seem to be be be an adorable youngsters who's still learning her way in life.
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”