Review of A Dream For Peace

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Nonso Samuelson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 166
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nonso-samuelson.html
Latest Review: Doctoroo & the Case of the Hacking Hippo by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Review of A Dream For Peace

Post by Nonso Samuelson »

[Following is a volunteer review of "A Dream For Peace" by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Growing up in a colonized state and seeing racism daily motivated Berrah to become an activist in his early twenties. At this time, he was a medical student in Bordeaux and had striven for the formation of different activist groups like the General Union of Algerian Muslim Students (UGEMA), Front de Libération Nationale (FLN), and many others. Circumstances led to Berrah fleeing his country and joining MLA. He campaigned for a scholarship in America for Algerian students and went on to study at Indiana University. He also led medical research on DNA and years later accepted a diplomatic role with Felix Houphouët-Boigny, president of Côte d’Ivoire, where he risked his life in the pursuit of peace.

In the years to come, he worked with organizations like the Israeli Council for Israeli-Palestinian Peace (ICIPP) and the PLO. He sat in think tanks with the likes of General Peled and Dr. Isam Sartawi and searched for ways to bring Israeli and Palestinian representatives to the table for peace talks. He visited religious sites from Mecca to the Vatican and served as an ambassador for peace negotiations between Israel and Palestine. He also tried fervently to instill a spirit of cooperation and respect among people of different faiths.

A Dream for Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah is an insightful and historically attuned memoir about a life of international diplomacy that makes a heartfelt plea for unity. Written with the attitude of an optimist preoccupied with the big picture, Berrah is meticulous with details, capturing a sweep of twentieth-century history through his lens. The book documents how French colonizers erased Algeria’s history, how Berrah got involved in activism, and how he transitioned from science into politics. It also contains records of meetings with world leaders like Mao Zedong and Fidel Castro, how the Biafra War began, etc.

I liked the precise and vibrant descriptions that made the book’s settings palpable. Berrah’s experiences were rendered in a way that piqued my interest and drew me in. The prose, mostly clichés and generalizations, was also very conversational; it satisfied my thirst for information. The chapters were organized and easy to follow, and the book included photos that aided in elucidating the author’s narration at times.

While I enjoyed the detailed approach of Berrah’s writing, it became a bit much at some point and slowed down the narration. The author’s socially immersed narration sometimes focused on a wider world more than it did on Berrah himself. This was a bit distracting.

The book was exceptionally edited, and I rate it 4 out of 4 stars; the issue I had with the book was not enough to deduct a star from its rating, in my opinion. I recommend it to individuals interested in international history.

A Dream For Peace
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Hakeem nuel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hakeem-nuel.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Hakeem nuel »

This is an interesting review of the book. There was no spoiler. Keep it up.
Elvischukwu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elvischukwu.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Elvischukwu »

A Dream for Peace is a literary masterpiece that blends profound insights with captivating storytelling, leaving a lasting impact.
Kelvin Modilim
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelvin-modilim.html
Latest Review: Sound of Redemption by William John Rostron

Post by Kelvin Modilim »

The author's ability to weave together historical facts, personal anecdotes, and scholarly analysis creates a compelling narrative that keeps readers engaged from start to finish.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”