Review of Bluewater Walkabout

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Regard003
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-regard003.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Review of Bluewater Walkabout

Post by Regard003 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Bluewater Walkabout" by Tina Dreffin.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Tina Dreffin wrote the memoir Bluewater Walkabout. It described her journey to South Africa. She began by telling how she met her husband Peter. She also revealed little about her life before him. Tina needed healing as a rape and sexual assault victim. After marrying a man with a nomadic spirit, she found healing in her travels. The majority of their time was spent sailing. Tina had two boys named Adam and Warren after losing her first child, a daughter, to heart failure in the womb.

Tina, her family, and two other teenagers, Sam and Gary, embark on a journey to South Africa. They spent the first part of their adventure exploring South African wildlife and the second part sailing. Read this book to learn more about Tina and her husband, as well as four teenagers, on their adventure.

I liked how Tina not only told us about the adventure in the book but also about her past and experiences, such as her rape experience and how she met her husband. Each chapter began with beautiful quotes that I enjoyed. According to one quote, "it doesn't matter what breath you take, but you'll always remember the moments that take your breath away." One of the reasons I enjoy memoirs is that everything that's written was based on true events.

This book taught me a lot of things. Tina was scared of something or other most of the time during the adventure, but she still had fun; she didn't let caution lead to cowardice. She brought herself out of trauma even after losing her baby. I have a lot of respect for her as a person. Because I found no errors in this book, I believe it is safe to say it has been thoroughly edited.

The book contained some large words that I was unfamiliar with, so I had to keep a dictionary nearby, which slowed my reading but allowed me to learn some new words. I wasn't thrilled with the ending either, but I won't say why to avoid spoilers.

Bluewater Walkabout gets four out of four stars from me. It was well-edited and an enjoyable read. Many lessons can be drawn from it. The book covers a wide range of topics, including adventures, marriages, parenting, rape, miscarriages, and more.

I recommend this book to anyone who enjoys memoirs and adventures. This book is a nice mix of the two. People who enjoy sea adventures will enjoy this book as well. Bluewater Walkabout will reward readers who are patient.

Bluewater Walkabout
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Kehinde Hussein
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kehinde-hussein.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller

Post by Kehinde Hussein »

This book is a testification to the fact that most times, we often need some relief we whatever traumas we face and touring the world is one way to achieve this, this the author particularly achieved which piqued much of my interest. Lovely review!
Oyedeji Funmilayo
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oyedeji-funmilayo.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Oyedeji Funmilayo »

Your review is detailed and captivating. Tina's story is worth reading and it's quite thrilling to know that travelling heals pain. I look forward to reading the book. Welldone!!!
Destiny Freedom
Favorite Book: The Most Unlikely Champion
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esther-aaton.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C

Post by Destiny Freedom »

Tina's adventure sounds fascinating and I guess doing it with family must have contributed to her healing process.
Many books can inform you but there's only one that can transform you(The Holy Bible). Pls don't forget to drop a comment for this review. Thanks. :D :tiphat:
Kyrian007
Currently Reading: Hard Journey of the Heart: Jesse's Story
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kyrian007.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Kyrian007 »

I've read this book, and it's certainly interesting, but I see you gave it four stars. To my knowledge, this book does not deserve four stars because of the errors, particularly the numbering, which made me angry and confused while reading.
Moyin Loveth
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moyin-loveth.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Moyin Loveth »

Wow, it must be exciting to live the majority of one's life aboard a ship. I would really love to read more about Tina's adventures in Africa. Thanks for sharing this beautiful review.
Breedbee
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-breedbee.html
Latest Review: Phobia Relief by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Breedbee »

As humans, we face circumstances, but it is our choice if we allow them to overcome us. This review explained vividly how Tina fought her battles without losing herself. This should be our approach to life.
Stevenmusk
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stevenmusk.html
Latest Review: Under the Blue Moon by Joan Schweighardt

Post by Stevenmusk »

It’s really sad to see all that Tina went the and her healing process. I think the book has a sensitive plot but it seems like a great book.
Chris Walter Mason
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chris-walter-mason.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush

Post by Chris Walter Mason »

One thing I like about this book is Tina's ability to weave bad situations and move on. I admire her courage and perseverance. Great review.
Stevenmusk
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stevenmusk.html
Latest Review: Under the Blue Moon by Joan Schweighardt

Post by Stevenmusk »

This book was fascinating and had a good story line. I liked the adventures that Tina had when trying to find herself but there was a lot of sad moments too
Damilola Oluwaseun
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-damilola-oluwaseun.html
Latest Review: The Fantastical Keys of Darius Newton Archibank by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Damilola Oluwaseun »

Because they can reason and relate to one another with purpose, two people can sometimes be better than one. Tina's life over here is proof. Her bravery and tenacity are admirable. I appreciate the excellent review.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”