Review of Bluewater Walkabout

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Bradley Shelvie
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Vagabond
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bradley-shelvie.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Review of Bluewater Walkabout

Post by Bradley Shelvie »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Bluewater Walkabout" by Tina Dreffin.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Tina Dreffin in Bluewater Walkabout writes about her adventure-packed journey into Africa. The author, together with her family, took a trip to Africa and sailed its sea to escape life. They visited many places and had so many experiences — for example, they sailed in the sea in their "scad" (type of boat); visited African jungles and deserts, having an encounter with elephants in the process; and many other adventures.

The very first thing that strikes you is how attention-grabbing the book is. The book flows from one scene to another so well that you literally enjoy it. I enjoyed all the stories in the book, and it was wonderful following the author and her family through their adventures. I loved reading about how they had picnics on the beach and how they went about their life in the sea. I was also gripped with tension as they faced various disasters. Furthermore, the experience they had was so wonderful that I wished I was with them on their adventure.

Their "walkabout" was fraught with so many difficulties, and it was not as smooth and "enjoyable" as it may sound. One day, for example, their schipperke dog ate her contraceptive vaginal diaphragm, tearing it into a shred of latex mess. Considering they were in a catholic country and there was no guarantee of finding a doctor or hospital nearby, she sank into desperation and her mind flung into a crisis. I couldn't help coursing through the tension that ensued, and I was eager to know how she would handle the situation. This is just one among the many scenes whose tension made me hold my breath in anticipation.

The author's "walkabout" is a testament that there is always something different out there. There's more to the normal life we are used to, and there is always more to explore outside our daily routine. The author and her family explored the wonders in the outside world; learned about the different cultures other people had, for example, the Xhosa; explored new places; and so much more.

I liked how suspenseful and adventurous the book is, and it was an entertaining read. I didn't find any errors, and it seems exceptionally well-edited. It has no negative aspects and there is no reason to give it a lower rating. Therefore, I rate it 4 out of 4 stars. I recommend the book to readers who like travel or nature books that are adventure-packed.

Bluewater Walkabout
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Do the things you love and you'll love the things you do :techie-studyingbrown:
Thera reads
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thera-reads.html
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: The Classic Guide to Optimizing Your Performance and Building Your Best Fast by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Thera reads »

An adventure can be a great way to challenge yourself and see what you're truly capable of.
Joan Jepchirchir 2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joan-jepchirchir-2.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Joan Jepchirchir 2 »

I appreciate you sharing your views about Bluewater Walkabout. My interest in the book has been peaked by your review, and I'm eager to learn more about Tina Dreffin's and her family's action-packed trip to Africa. It's reassuring to know that the author did a fantastic job of bringing the reader along on their walkabout and giving them a taste of the various cultures and experiences they met. The book's seamless transition from one scene to the next, which makes it a compelling read, is also praiseworthy. I appreciate you recommending the book to readers who enjoy travel-themed or action-packed nature literature.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”