Review of Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Victoria Ukamaka
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victoria-ukamaka.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Review of Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Post by Victoria Ukamaka »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise" by John K Danenbarger.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

With our lives as an example, we know things are not always as plain as black and white. Complications are part of life, and humans are a mass of flaws. Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K. Danenbarger is a jungle of heavily flawed characters whose lives intertwine at different levels.

The story starts in 2044 as the present-day, when Geena receives a letter from Joe Tink, her parents' friend, relaying the news that her father is dead. Afterward, it takes us to about 60 years ago, before Geena's parents (Beth and Kevin) met, to when Joe Tink found and helped Beth clean up from drugs and prostitution. Joe, a stripper at the time, sent Beth on a cruise ship to Bermuda for a breath of fresh air after all her dark days. However, arriving in Bermuda, she realizes that the ship's captain had a different plan for her. Once again, her life is in danger as she is stuck with a family of old slave traders.

Many years later, she meets and marries Kevin Nuss, who has a series of murders he had and is still committing, eating him up. Their lives come on full display as they interact with other characters. With this interaction, the sinister in them and each other characters comes to daylight.

This book is character-driven with flawed individuals and full of mystery. It is a book about investigation, murder, and revenge, with a backdrop of scientific research, breakthrough, queer, and lowkey slavery.

I like the philosophical and scientific aspects of the story. This book is semi-sci-fi, with details on physics, research, quantum physics, NASA, the solar system, and science in general. My interest got piqued when Joe Tink found Beth. You know that point in a book when you know something different will happen, but all indications point in the opposite direction. I knew Kevin was Geena's dad from the prologue, but I thought Beth would marry Joe. The unpredictability of the interwoven lives of the many characters was something I loved about the book.

I will be giving Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise a 3 out of 4 stars because timestamps and periods of events were all mixed up and confusing. Several Periods of occurrence are so intertwined that there is no way you wouldn't be confused at all times. A few years ago, 24 years ago, a year ago, and today are all happening simultaneously with little distinction. In addition, the author's writing style is confusing, with him using complex words successively where simple words would have sufficed. The flow was bumpy and terrible. I found myself reading and rereading a lot of places because I was either lost by the period of events or lost by the flow. This difficulty did not come later in the book. It started with a prologue that took time to penetrate.

In this book, John K. Danenbarger writes in a third-person narrative. Through the characters, the author sometimes writes like a school of thought professor, a poet, or a physicist. That was something that made reading this book worth it. I learned new things, irrespective of how bumpy the flow was. The book seems professionally edited as I encountered no error. In addition, some content may be sensitive to religious readers (especially Christians).

I recommend this book to mature readers due to the language used and readers who don't mind googling things often and checking the dictionary while reading because they'd learn a lot. I would also recommend it to Sci-fi lovers, those who love books about murders and investigation, and those who love mysteries.

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Jelly_J
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jelly-j.html
Latest Review: Annihilation by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Jelly_J »

This book seems to have a very complex plot- an entanglement indeed. I look forward to reading more about Joe Tink and Beth's early days. Great review.
Amarachi Nwankwo03
Currently Reading: Summer Showers
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amarachinwankwo.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Amarachi Nwankwo03 »

I don’t like to read books that switch between past and future as they can get confusing, if not properly structured. This book would however make for a great read. It’s not everyday you come across a book that champions flawed characters. I also believe one would learn a lot about Science, Philosophy and so on. Thank you for your review.
Chimereucheya Okoroafo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chimereucheya-okoroafo.html
Latest Review: Life's ecstasy and eternal struggles by Sandra mayfield

Post by Chimereucheya Okoroafo »

I sense an adventure story. What journey does Geena travel through? I hope it'll be worth the read despite the flaw you stated. Nice review.
You have a life to live. If you ain't living it, that's failure. :tiphat:
Victoria Ukamaka
Currently Reading:

Chimereucheya O wrote: 08 Aug 2022, 17:43 I sense an adventure story. What journey does Geena travel through? I hope it'll be worth the read despite the flaw you stated. Nice review.
She is on a journey of finding a missing piece. Even after Mani years and generations, she is still found looking for something that could be (but isn't.) The book spans through 3 generations, and is quite an adventure.
Cheryl Erickson
Currently Reading: 3 Sisters 3 Weeks 3 Countries (Still Talking)
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cheryl-erickson.html
Latest Review: The Caroler by Liza Martini
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Cheryl Erickson »

It sounds like this book has a lot to offer the reader in terms of all of the areas of interest. I am intrigued to see if and how these characters can overcome adversity and deal with their flaws. The title fits the novel well. If the reader can accept the challenge to figure out all of the time jumps, it sounds like an interesting read. You wrote an honest review filled with relevant details. Well done!
Tonia Freeman
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Black Hat/White Hat: A tale of Good is Evil
Bookshelf Size: 756
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tonia-freeman.html
Latest Review: Just Die by E Alan Fleischauer

Post by Tonia Freeman »

Oh, this sounds so intriguing! I love the opening line of your review, I was reeled in from the start. As a lover of any book that keeps me guessing I must add this to my list. Thank you for a wonderful review. I'm looking forward to learning something new with this book.
Isaac Oh
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-isaac-oh.html
Latest Review: The Natural Guard by Michael L. Chapla

Post by Isaac Oh »

This story is definitely going to be filled with shocking moments and action. The author should have provided a glossary for those uncommon words used in the book. Well-written review. Keep it up!
Timothee22
Favorite Author: David Schwarzkopf
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-timothee22.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer
fav_author_id: 248826

Post by Timothee22 »

Well, I do love books that would challenge me to look up new words or terms. This would help increase vocabulary and mental capacity. Thanks for the review.
Francis Omotayo Aderogbin
Currently Reading: The Great Migration
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-francis-omotayo-aderogbin.html
Latest Review: Escape from Tuoyawon by R. Murrey Haist

Post by Francis Omotayo Aderogbin »

This is an excellent review. The book's cover is attractive, and the plot of the book is fascinating. I wish to read this book soon.
You are yet to be the best version of yourself. Keep refining.
Christell Lindeque
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 276
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christell-lindeque.html
Latest Review: Field Guide to Sinisters and Benevolents by Nancy L Vallette

Post by Christell Lindeque »

I am usually a mystery fan but something about this book just doesn't seem like it is for me. I think it is the science and philosophical part of the book or maybe the drugs. Even though this book is not for me the review was amazing.
Victoria Ukamaka
Currently Reading:

Jelly_J wrote: 07 Aug 2022, 13:37 This book seems to have a very complex plot- an entanglement indeed. I look forward to reading more about Joe Tink and Beth's early days. Great review.
It does have a complex plot and a storyline spanning through many generations. I hope you enjoy it when you eventually read it. Thank you for your comment.
Ifesi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ifesi.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Ifesi »

With its cover page, i definitely want to read this book. A lot of science stuffs can be gotten from here and will be suitable for college students.
Isaac Oh
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-isaac-oh.html
Latest Review: The Natural Guard by Michael L. Chapla

Post by Isaac Oh »

With how lovely this book cover was, I would love to read it. The investigation and murder combined to make it more interesting. Nice analysis on this book.
Shillah Andeso
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shillah-andeso.html
Latest Review: On the wings of a prayer by Kola Kupoluyi

Post by Shillah Andeso »

I enjoyed the story that this book would have told with good arrangement of events. I'm glad you also noted this aspect. I, however, wasn't much affected by this arrangement and choose to conventrate fully on the plot. Your review is nicely written.
Great work!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”