Review of Killing Abel

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Victoria Ukamaka
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victoria-ukamaka.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Review of Killing Abel

Post by Victoria Ukamaka »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Killing Abel" by Michael Tieman.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Killing Abel by Michael Tieman is a powerful interpretation and retelling of events that took place in the book of Genesis of the Bible, starting from "In the beginning..." to the time of Noah. It is the fictional retelling of the beginning as referenced from the Bible.

When God sent Adam and Eve away from the garden of Eden, what happened to them afterward? As the first man and woman on earth, they had been only a few days in the garden before their disobedience. They sure did not have much experience living alone on earth. So, how did they learn to survive outside the garden of Eden? How did they deal with the first experience of hunger, thirst, and discomfort? How did they know things that are either edible or not? How did they start gathering wisdom and knowledge of how to preserve their lives? How did they manage their emotions and learn to procreate? What was it like for Eve to experience her first monthly cycle? How did they find their way back to each other after wandering far apart? From where did the wives of Cain and Abel come?

The Bible may not have given out these details because they are not essential. Perhaps giving them would have made the Bible have about a million pages. Well, this book adds all the missing information. If you have ever pondered these questions on the origin of man from the account of the Bible, you will have to read Killing Abel to satiate your inquiry.

Michael Tieman has a creative mind for thinking outside the box about things that have been in between texts and periods in the Bible. When the author said: "My experience thus far in life is that thinking is a chore that is avoided by far too many people―but it is my favorite thing to do.", I had an AHA moment. If thinking is free, why not go wild with my imagination?! This, going wild with my imagination, is a big lesson that this book has taught me. Albeit how well you know the story of Adam, Eve, and Noah, you will still appreciate the perspective from which the author narrates it in this book.

This book emphasizes the importance of storytelling in transferring generations of information about the human race. It depicts God as a loving father who sometimes regrets things and learns from events. You would have your laugh as the first woman, Eve, was displaying the typical women's shenanigans right from the start. I gladly give this book a 3 out of 4 stars because I appreciate that it helped me understand the creation story better. Also, how the author tried to make the story fit into things that are obtainable in today's world endeared the book to me, especially concerning procreation. However, it did not get a perfect score because, as much as I enjoyed the fill-in, the story had some dull and uninteresting moments. At a point, I couldn't help but wonder if the book was 'for' or 'against' the Bible. Sometimes, it seems like the details come from a heretic point of view, and I think some readers may find it so. Because of this, I wouldn't recommend it to readers who are too sensitive to religious content. To enjoy it, readers should approach it with the same open mind they would have given to any fictional story. Finally, I would like to mention that reading the book was a wonderful experience as I only encountered one minor error. It was exceptionally edited, and this made the flow easy and enjoyable.

I would recommend it to readers who enjoy creative writing and those who have any questions about events that took place in the Bible. It is suitable for both adult and younger readers. Those who read this book with open minds will enjoy it.

Killing Abel
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Smashwords
ometanoghenetejiri
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ometanoghenetejiri.html
Latest Review: JTs World by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by ometanoghenetejiri »

Michael Tieman certainly did a great job in communicating his imagination.
This book seems to be very interesting and full of many information. I would love to give it a try.
Victoria Ukamaka
Currently Reading:

ometanoghenetejiri wrote: 27 Jul 2022, 09:58 Michael Tieman certainly did a great job in communicating his imagination.
This book seems to be very interesting and full of many information. I would love to give it a try.
It made a lot of things from the bible make sense. It's more of filling in the gaps. You might like it when you read it.
Jerry Anozie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jerry-anozie.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Jerry Anozie »

Killing Abel is an intriguing book that talks extensively about one of the complex books in the Holy Bible. The author did a very great work in being able to break the story to a level of understanding. Thanks for the great review.
Jelly_J
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jelly-j.html
Latest Review: Annihilation by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Jelly_J »

From your review, it seems the author of this book looks to fictionally retell some events from the Bible. I look forward to reading it. Thank you for an honest review.
Amarachi Nwankwo03
Currently Reading: Summer Showers
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amarachinwankwo.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Amarachi Nwankwo03 »

The author certainly did a great job with the retelling of events. It was creative, humorous and educative. I loved reading about the events following the banishment of Adam and Eve from the Garden as the Bible does not expound on this. The story, however, like you mentioned got dull and uninteresting. I think it served is purpose anyways. Thank you for your review.
Onyinyechi Orji
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onyinyechi-orji.html
Latest Review: Commercial Property Made Easy by Chris Lang

Post by Onyinyechi Orji »

The author did put more work than the normal story you have always read in the Bible making it more interesting. I enjoyed every bit of this book.
Francis Omotayo Aderogbin
Currently Reading: The Great Migration
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-francis-omotayo-aderogbin.html
Latest Review: Escape from Tuoyawon by R. Murrey Haist

Post by Francis Omotayo Aderogbin »

Michael is a man I adore. This is the second book I have read, and he has proven that he is creative and vast in his calling. In Killing Abel, he carefully fills in some missing gaps in the creation story.
You are yet to be the best version of yourself. Keep refining.
Chimereucheya Okoroafo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chimereucheya-okoroafo.html
Latest Review: Life's ecstasy and eternal struggles by Sandra mayfield

Post by Chimereucheya Okoroafo »

A truly spectacular work of fiction. The author of this book amazes me with his imaginations and writing. It is near believable. Nice review.
You have a life to live. If you ain't living it, that's failure. :tiphat:
Oluwasogo Familusi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oluwasogo-familusi.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Oluwasogo Familusi »

Good review! Having read this book, I can say the book is a perfect blend of history & fiction. I really enjoyed the book while I read it because of the authors' creative writing.
Victoria Ukamaka
Currently Reading:

Francis_Reads wrote: 08 Aug 2022, 16:45 Michael is a man I adore. This is the second book I have read, and he has proven that he is creative and vast in his calling. In Killing Abel, he carefully fills in some missing gaps in the creation story.
He truly is a great writer. I would love to read more of his books.

Thanks for stopping by.
Victoria Ukamaka
Currently Reading:

Chimereucheya O wrote: 08 Aug 2022, 17:38 A truly spectacular work of fiction. The author of this book amazes me with his imaginations and writing. It is near believable. Nice review.
The way he fills in the gaps is so creative. He puts his imagination to great use.
Thank you!
Isaac Oh
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-isaac-oh.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer

Post by Isaac Oh »

A great book indeed. The amount of creativity put into making this book was amazing. The author made sure to create a flowing storyline. Amazing review!
Timothee22
Favorite Author: David Schwarzkopf
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-timothee22.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer
fav_author_id: 248826

Post by Timothee22 »

This is a work of fiction that is unique and as much creative. Kudos to Michael Tieman for this beautiful piece. I enjoyed reading it.
Comfort44
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-comfort44.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Comfort44 »

I enjoyed your review. This is definitely my next book to read.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”