Review of Timewise

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Oluwapelumi Rachael
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oluwapelumi-rachael.html
Latest Review: JTs World by E. Alan Fleischauer

Review of Timewise

Post by Oluwapelumi Rachael »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Timewise" by Robert Leet.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Timewise is a fictional book that explores the concept of time travel. Ron Larsen, the main character in the book, is an orphan who spent his childhood being shuffled around various foster homes. At the beginning of the book, Ron is fourteen years old. During this period, Ron enjoyed playing chess in his neighbourhood. He meets Regina Russo, an older lady who seems to know everything about him, at one of his games. Soon after their first encounter, Regina starts teaching physics at Ron's middle school, and this influences Ron to enroll in physics classes in order to impress her.

After graduating from high school, Ron moves from his old neighborhood to West Foxfield. To earn a living, he resorts to working low-paying jobs and playing poker. Months later, Regina, who is now a professor at Northern University, finds Ron and offers to sponsor him through college. Ron accepts the offer and begins to study mathematics. Over the years, Regina slowly introduces Ron to the concept of time travel and tells him about her theories. Eventually, the two team up and conduct many experiments to perfect time travel. Due to the instability of their experiments and the risks associated with time travel, they must keep their research hidden and away from prying eyes.

I enjoyed reading the book from the first-person perspective of Ron. The use of the first-person perspective allowed me to really understand Ron's personality. Without the use of this point of view, I doubt I would have liked Ron because some of his actions in the book were annoying.

One of the things I liked best about the book was the inclusion of romance in its plot. Additionally, I enjoyed the book's vivid descriptions. Robert Leet did a great job of creating an immersive and engrossing story.

There were a few things about Timewise that I didn't enjoy. I didn't like how long it took for the interesting events to begin. More than half of the book focused on aspects of Ron's life that I believe could have been summed up or omitted.

Additionally, the explanation of Regina's ideas was voluminous and quite complex. I felt that this was unnecessary because it would be very confusing for people who have no prior knowledge of physics. At one point, I thought I was reading a physics textbook. Instead of devoting many paragraphs to discussing these theories and boring readers, this section could have been summarized.

For these reasons, I'm giving Timewise a rating of three out of four stars. I strongly believe that the book would have been better off without the inclusion of lengthy scientific theories. Since I found only two errors in the text, I can say that the book has been professionally edited.

I would recommend this book to readers who enjoy science fiction. This book isn't suitable for young readers because of its sexual content and use of profane language.

Timewise
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Francis Omotayo Aderogbin
Currently Reading: The Great Migration
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-francis-omotayo-aderogbin.html
Latest Review: Escape from Tuoyawon by R. Murrey Haist

Post by Francis Omotayo Aderogbin »

This is an impressive review. I like that the author added the prolific understanding of Ron about chess and this supported the gravity of his intelligence. The idea of time travel sounds exciting to me.
You are yet to be the best version of yourself. Keep refining.
Israel Abegunde
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-israel-abegunde.html
Latest Review: It's None of Your Business by Jordan K. Michaels

Post by Israel Abegunde »

One of the things that I like about the book is the narrative technique used by the author. As you pointed out in your review, the use of first person narrative style helps the reader to know the personality of Ron, the lead character, better. Unlike some fictions wherein the reader judges the characters from the author's perspective, the dialogue and relationships between the characters in this book are a better means of judging characters' roles in the narrative. Also, I like that the author chose his words well. Good review!
Moyin Loveth
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moyin-loveth.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Moyin Loveth »

Ron and Regina seem to share a unique relationship. I have little idea of physics, so I don't think I'll be able to understand this book. Thanks for the honest review.
Precious Oba
Currently Reading: Bluewater walkabout into Africa
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-precious-oba.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C

Post by Precious Oba »

I'm not quite sure I'd be interested in the book. I'm not sure who has the romance and with whom.
Jelly_J
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jelly-j.html
Latest Review: Annihilation by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Jelly_J »

This story has a very interesting storyline. From your review, it can be seen that Regina is a very kind person to be able to do all that she did for Ron. I look forward to reading this book; I wonder how their time travel experiments turned out.
Nwaka Chukwuemeka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nwaka-chukwuemeka.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Nwaka Chukwuemeka »

Following the title of this book, it will look interesting, and also your review piqued my interest . I must read the book. Great review.
Oyedeji Funmilayo
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oyedeji-funmilayo.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Oyedeji Funmilayo »

The plot of the story sounds interesting. Ron and Regina are two interesting characters to watch our for. I would love to read the book, but the high sexual content won't allow me read it. Wonderful review, welldone!!!
Breedbee
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-breedbee.html
Latest Review: Phobia Relief by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Breedbee »

The book is informative.This is an interesting and explicit review.
Proof Readar
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-proof-readar.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Proof Readar »

I'm impressed by the plot of this book. I will love to explore to explore the time travel information in the book. I love how the author use two different gender as the main Characters who are in even far in social-economic status. Looking forward to read this book.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”