Review of Women of Fire and Snow

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Eriikeoluwa Nimi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eriikeoluwa-nimi.html
Latest Review: The Three Heavens by Paul Hitchiner

Review of Women of Fire and Snow

Post by Eriikeoluwa Nimi »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Women of Fire and Snow" by Nati del Paso.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Nati del Paso's WOMEN OF FIRE AND SNOW is a story about the struggle of Mexican women who are victims of several circumstances that vary from physical, emotional and sexual abuse. The book shares the struggle and adventure of women for survival and sanity. It's a collection of stories that share how children suffer from their fathers' abuse, how teenagers suffer from their fathers' and also loved ones' molestation and how older women live their last days in pain. Were these women able to survive? How did they fight for their freedom? Did broken hearts heal?

The Women characters were represented mostly as victims while some of them were also heroes who jacked out of their circumstances and found a life for themselves. These women were women with careers and visions, very passionate and loving but their situation didn't assure them of fulfilment and most importantly, lasting joy and peace. Most of the male characters were demons, abusers who came in form of helpers who later revealed the demon in them.

WOMEN OF FIRE AND SNOW is a nine-chapter weave of psychology, mysticism, and magic realism into suspenseful tales surrounding the immigrant experience, women, environmental and social justice issues. I love the fact that Nati del Paso chose a perfect diction and at some points, mixed Spanish and English language and this didn't even affect the storyline or understanding of the book. The book entails the story of the disappeared, the silenced, the erased, the invisible, the raped, the dispossessed, the forgotten, the conquered, the colonized, the abandoned, the solitary, the tortured and the murdered. As stated in page 209, "Mexico is among the twenty-five countries with the highest rate of femicide. According to the UN, nine women are murdered every day in Mexico; some say it’s much higher. From 2013 to 2017, 1,420 women were murdered right here in the state of Mexico.”

Spirituality is a major part of the book however it didn't compel any religion on the reader also, the book contains some sexual content but they didn't dominate the book so no reader should find it offensive. Profane words were encountered too.

I'm rating this book four out of four stars. Despite the language mix, I didn't find any error in the book except for an intended grammatical error which was stated to be "broken English". I commend the author for a job well done and I encourage readers to read this book, especially those interested in learning and knowing more about culture and tradition.

Women of Fire and Snow
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Chimereucheya Okoroafo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chimereucheya-okoroafo.html
Latest Review: Life's ecstasy and eternal struggles by Sandra mayfield

Post by Chimereucheya Okoroafo »

Sitting on a sad story, this book surrounds itself with tales that may be gruesome to some readers. It reveals truths that many women have suffered and suffer from and live it, while concealing it. Great review but I don't think I have any plan to travel through sad stories of the past lives. We can only try to prevent them from reoccurring.
You have a life to live. If you ain't living it, that's failure. :tiphat:
Eriikeoluwa Nimi
Currently Reading:

Chimereucheya O wrote: 09 Aug 2022, 16:41 Sitting on a sad story, this book surrounds itself with tales that may be gruesome to some readers. It reveals truths that many women have suffered and suffer from and live it, while concealing it. Great review but I don't think I have any plan to travel through sad stories of the past lives. We can only try to prevent them from reoccurring.
Thank you so much for taking your time to read and comment on this review. It means a lot to me
Kasun Perera
Currently Reading: Kalayla
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kasun-perera.html
Latest Review: The White Coat Effect by L.B. Wells

Post by Kasun Perera »

Mexico is a country which is frequently mentioned with various issues. A book that discusses what the women in such a country faces should be insightful. Nice review.
Eriikeoluwa Nimi
Currently Reading:

OBC Reviewer wrote: 09 Aug 2022, 21:27 Mexico is a country which is frequently mentioned with various issues. A book that discusses what the women in such a country faces should be insightful. Nice review.
I never knew Mexico is like that until I read this book. It is truly insightful. Thanks for taking your time to read and comment on the review.
Mildred Echesa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mildred-echesa.html
Latest Review: Catch A Raven by Kirro Burrows

Post by Mildred Echesa »

This book will greatly appeal to women and I for one, can't wait to read it because I love women's literature.
Poetic Justice
Eriikeoluwa Nimi
Currently Reading:

Sarah1738 wrote: 10 Aug 2022, 02:27 This book will greatly appeal to women and I for one, can't wait to read it because I love women's literature.
Exactly, it's more appealing to women. Thank you for taking your time to read and comment on the review
Margi zuu202
Favorite Author: Jack Winnick
Favorite Book: Living in Color
Currently Reading: Water Bound (Sisters of the Heart, #1)
Bookshelf Size: 85294
fav_author_id: 77547
2024 Reading Goal: 1000
2024 Goal Completion: 1287%

Post by Margi zuu202 »

This book woman of fire and snow it's a sad story of struggling Mexican women who are victim of several circumstances like emotional abuse, sexual abuse it's a collection of stories that share how children suffered from their father..I like this book and I will always recommend it
Eriikeoluwa Nimi
Currently Reading:

Margi zuu202 wrote: 18 Aug 2022, 11:06 This book woman of fire and snow it's a sad story of struggling Mexican women who are victim of several circumstances like emotional abuse, sexual abuse it's a collection of stories that share how children suffered from their father. I like this book and I will always recommend it
I never knew such a thing was existing in Mexico before I read the book. Thank you for taking your time to read and comment on the review.
Oyedeji Funmilayo
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oyedeji-funmilayo.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Oyedeji Funmilayo »

Reading books like this gets me worried and unhappy with how Women are treated. I just hope this tradition have stopped in Mexico and hope that the world reaches balance soon. Wonderful review Welldone
Margi zuu202

Post by Margi zuu202 »

This book is a debut short stories collection traces the lives of Mexican American woman as they navigate crises arising from gender, politics and the supernatural the world in the story is threatened by violence,death and destructions.thr stories and their vivid character offer a glimpse of true human imagin they are unique, indigenous in concept.
Margi zuu202

Post by Margi zuu202 »

This book is a debut short stories collection traces the lives of Mexican American woman as they navigate crises arising from gender, politics and the supernatural the world in the story is threatened by violence,death and destructions.thr stories and their vivid character offer a glimpse of true human imagin they are unique, indigenous in concept.
Eriikeoluwa Nimi
Currently Reading:

Margi zuu202 wrote: 21 Aug 2022, 06:42 This book is a debut short stories collection traces the lives of Mexican American woman as they navigate crises arising from gender, politics and the supernatural the world in the story is threatened by violence,death and destructions.thr stories and their vivid character offer a glimpse of true human imagin they are unique, indigenous in concept.
You are very right. Thanks for taking your time to read and comment on the review.
Chiamaka Ogadimma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chiamaka-ogadimma.html
Latest Review: JTs World by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Chiamaka Ogadimma »

Women are really strong. After all they go through, they still forge ahead in life. Kudos to women. Wonderful review you have here. Well done
Do more, talk less. Never get mad at another man's success.
Eriikeoluwa Nimi
Currently Reading:

Verified wrote: 26 Aug 2022, 18:50 Women are really strong. After all they go through, they still forge ahead in life. Kudos to women. Wonderful review you have here. Well done
Yeah, the strength of women cannot be underestimated. Thanks for taking time to read the review and comment.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”