Review of Surviving the Business of Healthcare

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Christell Lindeque
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 276
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christell-lindeque.html
Latest Review: Field Guide to Sinisters and Benevolents by Nancy L Vallette

Review of Surviving the Business of Healthcare

Post by Christell Lindeque »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Surviving the Business of Healthcare" by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Surviving the "Business" of Healthcare by Barbara Galatia Regis M.S. PA-C is about the author's experience with the American healthcare system as both a patient and a healthcare provider. The book begins with the author being a cancer patient and explains how different the recovery process is from the perspective of a healthcare provider. She clarified that if it weren't for health insurance, she and her family would be in financial ruin. The author discusses what is currently occurring in the American healthcare system. She provides the reader with useful information on how to get financial aid and what to avoid. Her patients emphasized they were struggling financially, and she did everything she could to help them.

The author informs the reader about how much medical care has changed in the last century. She went into detail about what healthcare was like in the 1970s, when her father was a doctor. She explains how the economic setup of health insurance financially punishes the middle and lower class, yet rewards the CEOs and investors of health insurance companies. According to the author, healthcare in America is a privilege rather than a right. She discusses what happens when you are admitted to the hospital and what happens if you require aftercare, which is especially important for the elderly. The author creates scenarios throughout the chapters to assist patients and healthcare providers with topics related to the scenario.

The negative aspect of this book is that, as a reader who does not live in America, this information frustrated me greatly. I require more healthcare than others, and if I had lived there, I would have been in the same situation as the less fortunate.

Positive aspects of this book include the author's attempt to assist healthcare workers as well as patients who are financially challenged or require guidance in the healthcare system. I enjoy hearing the author discuss what the healthcare system was like in the past for medical practices and emergency services. It's also refreshing to see compassion from a caregiver in a manner that goes above and beyond. She discusses where people can get cheaper medication and recommends which insurance plan they should get based on their needs.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. This book helped me understand what healthcare is like in America and helped me deal with some of my own issues in the healthcare industry. This book is simple to read and contains actual tables that clearly illustrate the information the author is attempting to convey. This book has been professionally edited. I recommend this book for patients who are experiencing financial difficulties and require guidance in the healthcare industry. I also recommend it for those who want to become healthcare workers or are already working in the healthcare industry.

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Cheryl Erickson
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: 3 Sisters 3 Weeks 3 Countries (Still Talking)
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cheryl-erickson.html
Latest Review: The Caroler by Liza Martini
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Cheryl Erickson »

Barbara Galutia Regis will help so many people who are struggling with health care in the United States. How wonderful to witness someone who is going above and beyond to help others. Great job on your book review filled with helpful details.
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: People we meet on vacation
Bookshelf Size: 2398
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

The negative aspect of this book is that, as a reader who does not live in America, this information frustrated me greatly. I require more healthcare than others, and if I had lived there, I would have been in the same situation as the less fortunate.
I understand. I don't live in America either. We have a sort of subsidized government healthcare in my country, though. So I guess it's not that bad. But it's incredibly sad that good healthcare in a lot of countries is exclusive to privileged citizens.
Fantastic, insightful review!
Tonia Freeman
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Black Hat/White Hat: A tale of Good is Evil
Bookshelf Size: 756
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tonia-freeman.html
Latest Review: Just Die by E Alan Fleischauer

Post by Tonia Freeman »

There is nothing that stresses me out and creates so much anxiety in my life as dealing with anything health care related. Nice review!
Stephanie Runyon
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Destiny Hawkins
Favorite Book: The Omicron Six
Currently Reading: The North Factor
Bookshelf Size: 1662
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-runyon.html
Latest Review: Deadly Sexy Lizzy Vol. 1-3 by Michael Richey
Reading Device: B07R3HTWLN
fav_author_id: 100303

Post by Stephanie Runyon »

As a Native American living on reservation land, I am fortunate to have free healthcare. Sadly, this same healthcare isn't always looking at my best interests.
"Facts don't care about feelings." Ben Shapiro
"Don't try to keep up with me, I live on the edge too thin to see." Ryan Upchurch
"See, one man's inconvenience is another's joy." NF
Harry Benjamin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harry-benjamin.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson

Post by Harry Benjamin »

Your review is an interesting one to read. A lot needs to be done to improve our healthcare system.
Kelvin Modilim
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelvin-modilim.html
Latest Review: Sound of Redemption by William John Rostron

Post by Kelvin Modilim »

This book serves as a valuable resource for healthcare professionals seeking to enhance their business acumen and adapt to the evolving healthcare landscape.
Raphael Raymondd
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raphael-raymondd.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller

Post by Raphael Raymondd »

The book provides a balanced perspective, addressing both the financial aspects of healthcare and the importance of patient care and outcomes.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”