Review of David's Sling

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
CrossK
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crossk.html
Latest Review: Re-Making the American Dream by David Vaught

Review of David's Sling

Post by CrossK »

[Following is a volunteer review of "David's Sling" by Andrew Ceroni.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Dave McClure, an expert CIA agent, has seen it all and lived to tell the tale. With a knack for quick thinking and winning against the bad guys, his expertise earns him a solid reputation. But it turns out that this recognition has adverse effects because it makes him an obstacle and ensures that many people will love for him to end up dead.

In David’s Sling by Andrew Ceroni, Franz Altmann, a notorious killer and certified member of a German terrorist group, threatens the safety of numerous American citizens, and it falls upon Dave and his team to handle the situation at the risk of losing their lives. An old enemy, thought to be deceased, is back to claim vengeance for his brother, who Dave supposedly killed. It suddenly becomes clear to Dave that the bad guys are not holding back, and he wonders how far he will have to go to protect his family and friends after all they have been through. Can Dave succeed in his mission before it's too late? Find out in this fast-paced thriller.

There are a lot of positive aspects to be found in this book. I enjoyed the dynamic plot, and I was nearly unable to put the book down. I believe that Dave’s character perfectly embodies one of the book's central themes, which entails a selfless personality with a spiritual perspective. He is able to save numerous lives at the risk of his own, and he does this without hesitation by always putting others first.

Another notable aspect is the dramatic perspective used to describe multiple scenes in the book. I admire this because I believe it made the book seem realistic and gave a better insight into some characters like Tony, Karen, and Krasnoff. I did not miss the biblical meaning behind the title, which relates to how David killed Goliath with only a sling and a stone while the latter was fully armed. I believe it emphasizes Dave and his talent for evading challenging situations, whether he was outnumbered or outgunned.

I did not find a single error relating to grammar and punctuation throughout the course of reading this book. I believe this shows that the book was exceptionally edited. The book was of moderate length, and it utilized seasoned vocabulary that made the book seem more appealing. The climax of the book was perfect, in my opinion, because it was able to capture certain critical elements without lowering the quality of the story.

The loose ends were tied up, and most of the characters got the endings they deserved. Dave’s end, in particular, was suitable because it left an open possibility of various outcomes for his character, which was a vital part of the growth of the storyline. I also enjoyed the author’s steady approach to revealing specific details, which increased the suspense of the story.

I was unable to discover any negative points while reading this book. And after carefully considering all factors mentioned, I rate this book four out of four stars. I recommend this book to anyone interested in action-packed thrillers and historical fiction. Also, I recommend this book to anyone that enjoys fast-paced novels filled with suspense.

David's Sling
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Ceeco2002
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ceeco2002.html
Latest Review: Rebuilt Recovery - Complete Series by Heather L Phipps

Post by Ceeco2002 »

This seems like a great read with an intriguing and action-packed storyline. I wonder if Dave succeeds in his mission before it's too late...
I'll have to find out when I pick up this book.
nwankwo chibuchi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nwankwo-chibuchi.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by nwankwo chibuchi »

This seems like quite the investigative tale featuring an intelligent and exciting protagonist. Will definitely love to give it a read based on an outstanding review. Great job and well done.
Alexander C Schmoock
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexander-c-schmoock.html
Latest Review: Survived, evolved against all the odds by Ruth Mantile

Post by Alexander C Schmoock »

It suddenly becomes clear to Dave that the bad guys are not holding back, and he wonders how far he will have to go to protect his family and friends after all they have been through. I wonder if he is successful or not. Great review.
Ebele Ekelobi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ebele-ekelobi.html
Latest Review: My Life as a Cryptocurrency by April Lee

Post by Ebele Ekelobi »

Dave’s character perfectly embodies one of the book's central themes, which entails a selfless personality with a spiritual perspective. I love protagonists that embody such virtues.
Prosper2000
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prosper2000.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Prosper2000 »

He is able to save numerous lives at the risk of his own, and he does this without hesitation by always putting others first. This is quite an admirable trait for a protagonist to have. Can't wait to pick this book based on this review.
Walter R
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-walter-r.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Walter R »

The book was of moderate length, and it utilized seasoned vocabulary that made the book seem more appealing. This is definitely one essential quality that I'd like every book I read to like. Great review.
Nwoko E
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nwoko-e.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Nwoko E »

If you did not find a single error relating to grammar and punctuation throughout the course of reading this book then it must be quite an impressive book. Great review and can't wait to read this book.
Ekezie1998
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekezie1998.html
Latest Review: life lessons of wayne by shawn wayne swearingen

Post by Ekezie1998 »

Dave’s end, in particular, was suitable because it left an open possibility of various outcomes for his character, which was a vital part of the growth of the storyline. Seems like quite an interesting plot here. Great review.
Okorji98
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okorji98.html
Latest Review: The Reason Under fire by Abdulmouti Souwed

Post by Okorji98 »

In David’s Sling by Andrew Ceroni, Franz Altmann, a notorious killer and certified member of a German terrorist group, threatens the safety of numerous American citizens. Sounds interesting.
Precious Amarachi Nzeakor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-precious-amarachi-nzeakor.html
Latest Review: Words of Wisdom: INSPIRING QUOTES for Everyone by Sharef Flounoy

Post by Precious Amarachi Nzeakor »

From your review, I am sure this must be an intriguing book. It forced me to reflect on the different situations people in crime-fighting positions must find themselves. A struggle to protect themselves, their families, and their nation while still taking down the bad guys. I'm interested to know how Dave succeeds with this. Great review!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”