Review of Apollo's Raven

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
amanda Shields 1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-shields-1.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Review of Apollo's Raven

Post by amanda Shields 1 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Apollo's Raven" by Linnea Tanner.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Imagine you're being transported back in time where Romans still ruled and had only treaties with the "barbaric" Celtic tribes. In this lovely novel "Apollo's Raven" you share the story of a Roman Diplomat's son, Marcellus, and a fierce Druid warrior princess, Catrin. The story starts off abruptly, making you feel as if you're in the mind of Catrin as she goes about what seems a normal day "training" with her sister and trusted guard. Then it weaves you into the village where Catrin's father, King Amren, is discussing treaties with the Roman Diplomat Lucius, Marcellus' father. After rather tense discussion it's decided that Marcellus must stay in Catrin's village and under her guard while their fathers are away to another kingdom to discuss some issues between the Celtic Kings as well as their loyalties to Rome. The arrangement is perfect, the only thing is that both Marcellus and Catrin are pawned against each other for information on the opposite sides. Both working at the will of their fathers to find truth, at any, and I mean any means necessary.

I absolutely adored "Apollo's Raven" by Linnea Tanner. I'd give this book 4 out of 4 stars, although if I could pinpoint a specific audience I'd say this book is for a more mature audience, who enjoys a more frilly, descriptive sort of narrative. I think Catrin and Marcellus' story is one for those who enjoy a out of the box sort of romance and is more for the person who enjoys the build up of a romance versus a purely smut erotica. At points I wouldn't read this book in good company as it definitely can make you red in the cheeks, however the majority of the book I'd been pleased to read at a park. The story line is a careful dance between history and fiction with how the author makes references to different people, places, and events. There is also a good mix of Druid and Roman beliefs, rituals, and folklore throughout the story that makes it hard for your brain to believe it as fiction.

It is difficult for me to come up with any downfalls with this book. I would definitely say this is a personal issue, which is why I didn't deduct and stars, however it was difficult for me to truly fall into the story until the third chapter. At that point though I couldn't set this book down and nearly read the whole thing in one sitting. Another personal qualm with this book is that it had a cliff hanger ending and leaves many loose ties of how the story ends, but the author makes it clear that it is only the first book in a longer series and that the story is far from over. I do think the cliff hanger is perfect for what it is meant to be, the author Linnea Tanner has made a bitter sweet balance that leaves you satisfied for now but makes you question what's next in the series.

Now as for what makes this story stand out to me is how much personality each character has. I love the details of the Celtic warriors' tattoos,bleached hair and twisted mustaches and how they compare to the chiseled perfection of the Romans with darker features and smooth faces. I loved that the author made a point when characters were speaking one tongue to the next, leaving no question of who understood in the room and who didn't. Also the minimal uses of actual Latin was impeccable. I loved how the author had portrayed different points of view and made you think as if you were whichever character in that moment.

I would also like to note that this story line isn't just exceptionally done but the grammatical side was also well executed. At no point did I have to re-read or guess what a sentence was supposed to mean or state. I'm thoroughly impressed that even with the frills of this writing style, no details or foretelling signs were lost. I felt as though I were in the story rather than just reading it as cliche as that may seem.

Apollo's Raven
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes
Nurur-Rahman Mikail
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nurur-rahman-mikail.html
Latest Review: Asterisk by Booth Milovnik

Post by Nurur-Rahman Mikail »

The aim of every author is to make his or her book as enjoyable as possible to the readers. The suspense, tension and emotion embedded in the book is enough to arouse this interest. Wonderful review
Nurur-Rahman Mikail
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nurur-rahman-mikail.html
Latest Review: Asterisk by Booth Milovnik

Post by Nurur-Rahman Mikail »

Hmm! 🤔 What a cool review, you explained much more better of the books' in terms of the author's amazing talent 😁

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”