Review of A Dream For Peace

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Helen Akoth
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-akoth.html
Latest Review: A Submissive Journey-Second Semester by Richard Read

Review of A Dream For Peace

Post by Helen Akoth »

[Following is a volunteer review of "A Dream For Peace" by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

A Dream For Peace is an interesting, thought-provoking, and informative memoir by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah. He was a medical doctor, a university professor, a scientist, and a diplomat. In this book, he takes us through how he became each of those, despite being born in colonial-era Africa. He also covers the various peace initiatives he participated in across Africa, Europe, the Middle East, and America when he was Côte d'Ivoire’s diplomat and close friend to the then country's president, Félix Houphouët-Boigny. The story starts with the author's childhood as a young boy growing up in Algeria, a French colony, and ends with his retirement as Côte d'Ivoire's diplomat. It captures both his private and professional lives, including the diplomatic missions he was part of and which formed most of this book. I greatly enjoyed them.

I also liked how detailed and informative this book was. The events were captured in great detail, were historically accurate, and credibly showed how it was to live in Africa during the colonial era. Readers will experience racism, torture, and various atrocities against the colonialists' subjects as if witnessing them first-hand, thanks to this work's vividness. As a history fan, this book enabled me to understand the colonial era in Algeria, Cote d'Ivoire, Morocco, and South Africa and their fight toward independence. I also liked that this book showed me how one could rise beyond the menacing tentacles of systemic oppression to become a respected person in society. I believe all this makes it worth reading.

What I liked the most about this book was the author's apparent passion for peace, as seen in his various selfless, autonomous peace initiatives. He seemed to believe that there were always ways to achieve peace, no matter how impossible it seemed. His patience, pragmatism, and courage in such efforts were something to marvel at, and his sensitivity and desire for good for all humankind were also some of his qualities so hard to miss. They enhanced my enjoyment of this great memoir.

Overall, I couldn't find any negatives in this book. I spotted just an error, indicating it was professionally edited. Therefore, I am pleased to give it the highest possible rating of four out of four stars. This book is entertaining, thought-provoking, and informative; many readers will benefit from it.

I highly recommend this book to all fans of memoirs. In particular, readers who like history and stories revolving around diplomatic relations will immensely appreciate this. This is a great book to understand pre and post-colonial Africa (especially Algeria and Côte d'Ivoire) from someone who witnessed them first-hand.

A Dream For Peace
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Tochukwu Nwaji
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tochukwu-nwaji.html
Latest Review: Somawise by Luke Sniewski

Post by Tochukwu Nwaji »

The book is not just an autobiography; it's a historical document. The interactions with global leaders provide a unique perspective on international relations during his time, making it a compelling read for history buffs.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”