Review of Posthumous Remorse

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Oluwasogo Familusi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oluwasogo-familusi.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Review of Posthumous Remorse

Post by Oluwasogo Familusi »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Posthumous Remorse" by Shepperd Rourke.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Posthumous Remorse, a book by Shepperd Rourke, is a poetical memoir containing a collection of the author's philosophies and a short autobiography of the author through which he expresses his feeling after losing some people and things dear to him. The book is divided into four chapters discussing themes like drugs, addiction, crime, prostitution, mediocrity in relation to politics, and the horrors of organized religions. The author openly expresses his skepticism about the existence of God, Heaven, and Hell. The author also expresses his thoughts in form of questions. Some examples of the questions asked that show the author's stand include: Why is there a war against the use of drugs and alcohol? Why are illicit drugs not legalized? Why are sex workers not protected and respected?

Apart from picking up new words that add to my vocabulary list, there's nothing I can specifically point out that I gain or like about this book, but I think I can pick out various things I dislike about this book.

The first thing that turned me off while reading this book was the arrangement of the texts in the book. As I said earlier, the book contained four chapters; only chapter two and chapter three of the book were properly arranged. The texts of chapter one and chapter four were not properly arranged. Also, about two pages contained repetitions of the letters 'm' and 'n' apart from the blank pages and repetitions of some sentences in the book.

Though the author was trying to be raw and unrestrained in conveying his thoughts by using profane words, I think most of the profane terms used are irrelevant and unnecessary in most cases. In a bid to be raw, the excess profane terms used by the author interfered with my reading and enjoyment of the book. Also, I won't advise a believer, especially a Christian, to read this book. The author, who I suppose to be an atheist, spoke outrightly in the negative sense about the existence of God, Heaven, and Hell.

This book was exceptionally well-edited, as I could not find any typological or grammatical errors, but the disorderly arrangement of two of the chapters hindered my enjoyment of the book. After reading this book, I can only say it is provoking, but nothing close to entertaining. Since I can't pinpoint any positive aspect of the book, I will be rating it 1 out of 4 stars.

As I have said earlier in this review, I won't advise believers, especially Christians, to read this book. I'd recommend this book to mature readers who share a similar philosophy with the author as I have mentioned in the review.

Posthumous Remorse
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Elijah0007
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elijah0007.html
Latest Review: Korian: Ark of the Fallen King by Giorgio Garofalo

Post by Elijah0007 »

This sounds like a book that would sour my taste buds, and I mean that respectfully. I guess I'm not as open-minded as I would like to be sometimes. Thanks for the review.
Bunmi27
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bunmi27.html
Latest Review: JTs World by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Bunmi27 »

Thanks for this honest review. I don't think I'll like to read this based on the inconsistencies and irrelevancies you complained about.
Jelly_J
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jelly-j.html
Latest Review: Annihilation by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Jelly_J »

I'm not really a fan of poems; however, this one seems to cover the ills in our society like drug and alcohol use. I look forward to knowing how the poet presents his ideas and experiences. Great review.
Ifesi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ifesi.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Ifesi »

I am not the memoirs type but you did well in structuring this review. I won't love to read this book because the rating has said so much. Thanks anyway for the insight.
Radhika Nair
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-radhika-nair.html
Latest Review: Hunger of the Pine by Teal Swan

Post by Radhika Nair »

I'm reading this book now, and I understand what you are complaining about. Thank you for sharing your perspective.
Elendu Clement Ekechukwu
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elendu-clement-ekechukwu.html
Latest Review: Shot Down by Steve Snyder

Post by Elendu Clement Ekechukwu »

I don't see myself reading a book without any positive impact on society. I think the author is routing for an ill society.
Fams Pee
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fams-pee.html
Latest Review: Karmic Selling by Stan Gwizdak

Post by Fams Pee »

Seeing the rating and the standpoint of the author, I don't think I have an interest in this book. I'll just pass on this one; thanks for the honest review.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”