Review of Mindful Screen Time

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
SunVixen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunvixen.html
Latest Review: Tau Ceti: A Ship from Earth by George T. Hahn

Review of Mindful Screen Time

Post by SunVixen »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Mindful Screen Time" by John and Kimberley Woods.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Children these days spend much time on consoles, phones and tablets. Of course, many parents are afraid that this pastime may have a bad effect on their offspring. After all, due to excessive enthusiasm for gadgets, children can become stupid, lazy or withdrawn. Even worse, they may become violence prone.

The book Mindful Screen Time by John and Kimberley Woods easily dispels such fears. The authors very convincingly explain that gadgets will not turn their children into fools or losers. On the contrary, their smart use is to promote empathy and teach communication. Moreover, this pastime can be even educational.

This book is faultlessly edited. It contains no typos or errors. Besides, Mindful Screen Time is written in a very easy and vivid language. Each chapter is a specified and detailed answer to one of the questions about the impact of gadgets on the development of children that readers might theoretically have. In addition, the book is not without humor. The authors certainly have a rare talent for writing about very important things in a very funny way.

Concurrently, the authors often use very picturesque parallels that give originality to their writing style. For example, they compare the use of gadgets by children to wine-drinking by grown-ups. One glass of wine during dinner will not harm a grown-up person in any way and may even be beneficial to health. The same is true with gadgets. If a child uses them moderately, this will not hinder his or her development in any way.

John and Kimberley Woods are certainly well acquainted with the problem to which they have dedicated their impressive work. This is evidenced by a solid list of reference placed at the end of the book. Also, one of the authors has a degree in cultural anthropology. I guess they really know what they're talking about.

To make their arguments more feasible, the authors of Mindful Screen Time allow themselves very deep and interesting excursions into history. It turns out that parental fears about the bad influence of new technologies on immature children's minds are a rather old phenomenon. In the old days, people were afraid that even transistor radio and black and white television might have a disruptive influence on their children.

Thus, Mindful Screen Time is a perfectly written and useful book. It breaks down widespread myths about parenting with compelling arguments and teaches parents to be more rational. As for any shortcomings, they cannot be found in this excellent book. Therefore, I give this interesting work 4 out of 4 stars. The book may be useful to those readers who are interested in good parenting.

Mindful Screen Time
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Nwaka Chukwuemeka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nwaka-chukwuemeka.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Nwaka Chukwuemeka »

Honestly, I don't enjoy children's books, I see them as a waste of time. But your review made to have a different thought. Great review.
SunVixen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunvixen.html
Latest Review: Tau Ceti: A Ship from Earth by George T. Hahn

Post by SunVixen »

Nwaka Chukwuemeka wrote: 09 Aug 2022, 09:12 Honestly, I don't enjoy children's books, I see them as a waste of time. But your review made to have a different thought. Great review.
This book is not for children, that is, this isn't fairy tales. This is a book about parenting.
Margi zuu202
Favorite Author: Jack Winnick
Favorite Book: Living in Color
Currently Reading: Water Bound (Sisters of the Heart, #1)
Bookshelf Size: 84243
fav_author_id: 77547
2024 Reading Goal: 1000
2024 Goal Completion: 1182%

Post by Margi zuu202 »

More educational taken on issues guide to parenting screen time and preventing digital addiction and the use of technology this is a good book with lots of professional information for parents and guidance I like it

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”