Review of Waterworks

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jelly_J
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jelly-j.html
Latest Review: Annihilation by Kaylin McFarren

Review of Waterworks

Post by Jelly_J »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Waterworks" by Jack Winnick.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Waterworks by Jack Winnick is the fifth book in the Lara and Uri Series. It belongs to the crime thriller genre. In this installment, it is seen that terrorists will go to any length to carry out their heinous plans. Los Angeles, yet again, is the target of their actions; this is usually due to the high population of American Jews in the area. These terrorists, with the help of their operatives, poisoned the water canal supplying this town using a rare, undetectable, radioactive element, Polonium.

Because of the gravity of the attack, the agencies dispatched their top personnel. Lara, a former FBI agent now with the Mossad, and her husband, Uri, a Mossad agent, are assigned to the case. Tom comes up with a plan to thwart the terrorists' agenda; Lara and Uri are to go undercover. This time, they temporarily alter their facial features and prepare to infiltrate Iran. Will they thwart the operations of these terrorists before it's too late? We would have to read on to find out.

The fact that this book is the fifth in the series and yet still retains its uniqueness astounds me; I believe this demonstrates the author's versatility. His adept skills in research and descriptive prowess are seen and felt in his well-detailed narrations of the aqueduct and the process of water supply in Los Angeles; we also experience them in his in-depth explanations of Iranian life and culture. I've always enjoyed how this author can weave his story based on historical events. This book was not a dull read; it was adequately fast-paced, fascinating, and spellbinding. Reading this book made me feel like I was present as the action unfolded. I appreciated that; it is not often we encounter books like this.

There was nothing I disliked about this story. Its plot, characterization, arrangement, and delivery were top-notch. Though a part of a series, it stands alone and can be understood fully by readers who haven't read its prequels. The narration in this story was captivating; personally, the description of the Tehran prison system made me shudder. In all, it was a great read.

I would rate this book 4 out of 4 stars for its exciting plot and incredible action. It was remarkably well edited; I did not encounter any errors while reading. This book is more suitable for adults and older teens interested in crime thrillers, political thrillers, and books on espionage as it contains complex themes.

Waterworks
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Jerry Anozie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jerry-anozie.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Jerry Anozie »

This series of Lara and Uri can't be boring. The author is very fascinating for always keeping the uniqueness of the book. I love the book's plot and the suspense. Thanks for the great review.
Oluwasogo Familusi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oluwasogo-familusi.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Oluwasogo Familusi »

As expected, Lara and Uri's series is always suspenseful and action-packed. I hope Lara and Uri were able to thwart the terrorist's plan before making any damage to the city.
Chimereucheya Okoroafo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chimereucheya-okoroafo.html
Latest Review: Life's ecstasy and eternal struggles by Sandra mayfield

Post by Chimereucheya Okoroafo »

A nice and straightforward review. I am eager to see how Lara and her crew solve this case and how the polonium is extracted from the water supply.
You have a life to live. If you ain't living it, that's failure. :tiphat:
Ozioma Miriam
Currently Reading: The Love Charm
Bookshelf Size: 72
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ozioma-miriam.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Ozioma Miriam »

I hope they succeed in thwarting the plans of the terrorists. Of all the things they wanted to attack, they choose the water canal. These are very bad people. Thanks for a nice review.
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Time Before Time by Dan DuBose
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I have read all of the books in this series and am in agreement that they are all unique even though they deal with the same topic. I have a hard time understanding how people can use violence to promote peace.
Francis Omotayo Aderogbin
Currently Reading: The Great Migration
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-francis-omotayo-aderogbin.html
Latest Review: Escape from Tuoyawon by R. Murrey Haist

Post by Francis Omotayo Aderogbin »

I like reading move that involves detailed research. They are not difficult to understand; they reflect in the narration. Jack Winnick is an extraordinary author as he has written many exciting novels that shows his in-depth knowledge about his message.
You are yet to be the best version of yourself. Keep refining.
Moyin Loveth
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moyin-loveth.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Moyin Loveth »

Although I know this is fictional, but the thought of terrorists poisoning our water supply deeply scares me. I hope Lara and Uri were able to thwart the terrorism attempt.
Wamala Elijah Mul
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eliwamala.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Wamala Elijah Mul »

Books that demand a significant amount of prior knowledge of the subject matter are typically some of my favourites to read. They are intertwined with the narrative, so it won't be difficult for you to follow along. The author, Jack Winnick, is responsible for the creation of a number of captivating novels, each of which reveals an in-depth understanding of the message the author aims to express. I am grateful to you for your warm words.
1 Corinthians 3:16-17 Don’t you know that you yourselves are God’s temple and that God’s Spirit dwells in your midst?
17 If anyone destroys God’s temple, God will destroy that person; for God’s temple is sacred, and you together are that temple.
Victoria Ukamaka
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victoria-ukamaka.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Victoria Ukamaka »

I love books that are unique. Books that are in a series, but are standalones too. I would love to read the whole series though.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”