Review of Bluewater Walkabout

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jerry Anozie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jerry-anozie.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Review of Bluewater Walkabout

Post by Jerry Anozie »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Bluewater Walkabout" by Tina Dreffin.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin is an intriguing non-fiction travel memoir. This book demonstrates Africa's rich cultural heritage. It was a dream come true for Tina, as she explored the beautiful wildlife of Africa. This book comes with mixed feelings and suspense that will awe every reader.

Tina is an adventure-driven woman. It all started due to the nature books she read, which her mum gave to her. She had come across a lot of fascinating places and wanted to visit them. She also married an adventurer, Peter. I would say it is a perfect marriage. This book is based on one of Tina's trips, which was to South Africa. Her children were all part of it. After a long and interesting journey, where Tina took us to her past and back, they reached the Kruger National Park, one of the largest in the world. Paul Kruger is the legendary person who founded the park. Tina and her team were able to meet some of the biggest and wildest animals in the world. It was a hilarious moment when one of the fighting birds pooped on Adam's face. Everyone was terrified, and Tina was saying her final prayers as they came face-to-face with the largest creature, an elephant, who had collided with them. Will they be able to survive this? Grab a copy.

Wow, I feel like I have a lot of things to see. This book is an exquisite adventure book about a culturally rich continent. Tina is a very unique writer as her mode of narration feels so real. I am intrigued by her adventurous life and would also love to read more about her adventures. An aspect of this book that caught me was when the author talked about her experiences in South Africa. I could relate to them. I was also amazed by the kinds of animals they saw. This book made me surf the internet to see these huge creatures she described. For instance, I was able to learn new things about the rhino; for example, its healing abilities. The use of quotations before each chapter was impressive. The writing style was awesome.

I had a nice time reading this book. However, at some point, the book drifted from its main theme, which is about adventure. It was difficult to relate to the flashback. Also, some of the characters who joined Tina and her family for the adventure were confusing as enough details weren't given about them. These are my only dislikes. I didn't encounter errors while reading, which shows the book was well-edited.

I would recommend this book to lovers of adventure and non-fiction. My reservations were not enough to deduct any stars. Therefore, I will rate this book 4 out of 4 stars.

Bluewater Walkabout
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Mozi Ken
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mozi-ken.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Mozi Ken »

I like reading adventurous books. So I admire Tina and Peter's lifestyle. They must have visited and seen many interesting places. Your review was interesting.
Isaac Oh
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-isaac-oh.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer

Post by Isaac Oh »

This is a well-written review. The author made the adventures come alive. I'm glad you enjoyed reading it. Nice review.
Comfort44
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-comfort44.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Comfort44 »

Nice reviews. I also enjoyed the book
Victoria Ukamaka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victoria-ukamaka.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Victoria Ukamaka »

Rhinos have healing abilities? I did not know that. I always like books that I can learn new things from. I'm sure going for this one. Great review!
De law
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-de-law.html
Latest Review: A Long Ago place by Donna Betten

Post by De law »

I think they would probably survive giving to the fact that this is a memoir. However, I did enjoy how you illustrated the adventure this book contained.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”