Review of A Dream For Peace

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sam Ibeh
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 459
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sam-ibeh.html
Latest Review: The vampires: Sodom and Gomorrah by Levănt DuPrae

Review of A Dream For Peace

Post by Sam Ibeh »

[Following is a volunteer review of "A Dream For Peace" by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Enlightening, inspiring, and historically accurate are a few ways to describe A Dream For Peace. It tells a true story of passion, endurance, and the miles one can go to actualize national freedom.

A Dream For Peace is a motivational autobiography by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah, an Algerian freedom fighter and international diplomat. While writing his personal history, he narrates his philosophical and ideological views on the French colonization of his country. He extensively narrates the struggles involved in actualizing freedom for the Algerian people.

Written in a first-person viewpoint, the writer did a commendable job sharing and explaining his political ideals without prejudice. While reading, I could grasp 20th-century history through the eyes of the author. This book contained some emotional elements, as the life journey embarked by the author was indeed a fulfilled one. He believed in himself and bestowed uncommon virtues, which stood out in many aspects. His love for peace and belief in the African philosophy were displayed in his marriage to a Catholic wife despite being a Muslim.

The writing was accentuated with good writing skills. It was also sophisticated, as the book was lavished with some complex words. Numerous words were not regular English language but were briefly explained at the end of every page. Also, the presence of inspirational quotes embellished the book and provided hope and optimism to the reader.

Accurate descriptions by the author were also worthy of praise. The culture and social norms of the author's environment as a child, the early armed resistance in Morroco and western Algeria, and so on were a few of the several described settings. The details in this book were so many but concise and precise, as they revolve cohesively around the book's theme.

The historical accuracy of this book didn't go unnoticed, making it educational and informative. A Dream For Peace took a peek into how an Algerian diplomat viewed the world. I saw the major events that rocked the world at that time and their significant impact on the Algerian struggle for independence. I also learned more about the French colonizers and their influence on the North African colonies, especially Algeria.

The editing was professionally done, as I encountered only two errors. Due to the lack of negative aspects, I'd rate A Dream For Peace 4 out of 4 stars. I highly recommend it to readers fascinated with autobiographies and international politics. Also, some Algerian readers might find it comforting and inspiring.

A Dream For Peace
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Austin Debby
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-austin-debby.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Austin Debby »

Berrah is such an amazing writer. I can't help but admire his relationship with his wife. It was such a purposeful union. Great review
Cesyao
Favorite Author: Jack Winnick
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cesyao.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe
fav_author_id: 77547

Post by Cesyao »

A Dream for Peace beautifully captures the essence of hope and the relentless pursuit of harmony in a tumultuous world.
Elvischukwu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elvischukwu.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Elvischukwu »

The author's skillful storytelling transports us to different cultures and landscapes, highlighting the universal yearning for peace.
Kigen Valarie
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Author: Amy K Collier
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kigen-valarie.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber
fav_author_id: 281506
2024 Reading Goal: 240
2024 Goal Completion: 10%

Post by Kigen Valarie »

I wanted to review this book but unfortunately the book did not open on my device. Your review, however, makes me want to read it. It offers hope for me and i'd love to read about his life.
Life will go whichever way. Changing it is up to a very powerful force :|
Kelvin Modilim
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelvin-modilim.html
Latest Review: Sound of Redemption by William John Rostron

Post by Kelvin Modilim »

The book confronts the difficult and painful aspects of Algeria's history, ensuring that the voices and stories of those involved are heard and acknowledged.
Adewakun Akinwalere
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adewakun-akinwalere.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C

Post by Adewakun Akinwalere »

I enjoyed reading the book. i'm glad i learned about Ghoulem Berrah.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”