Review of The Girl Who Loved Caravaggio

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Chinazo Anozie
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 313
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinazo-anozie.html
Latest Review: Overcoming Anxiety and Depression by Lillyin Love

Review of The Girl Who Loved Caravaggio

Post by Chinazo Anozie »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Girl Who Loved Caravaggio" by Belle Ami.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Girl Who Loved Caravaggio by Belle Ami is the second book in the Out of Time thriller series. After their adventures recovering the lost da Vinci painting, Alex and Angela proceed to enjoy life and their recent engagement. However, their quiet life comes to a sudden halt when Angela starts having dreams of Michelangelo Caravaggio, the painter. Alex, a former Navy SEAL, also starts having recurring PTSD attacks, which he thought he had previously conquered. Whilst dealing with these, they get a case request from the Uffizi museum to investigate and look for a lost Caravaggio painting. Angela is immediately intrigued by the case since she has recently been dreaming of him. However, Alex is very reluctant to accept the case because of the various factors that can put them in danger, especially the Italian Mafia. Alex and Angela’s relationship and love will also be tested when past and present secrets threaten to tear them apart.

I enjoyed reading this book. Like the first part, it also did not disappoint. I loved reading the little Italian and Russian scattered throughout the dialogues. The book switches between Caravaggio’s time in the 16th/17th century and the present day. The author does this seamlessly, and I was not lost in any way. I also enjoyed the old-fashioned dialogues used in Caravaggio’s time. The character development was also impeccably done. You could understand every character’s perspective and even sympathise with them, whether protagonist or villain.

However, although the author translated some of the Italian words, a few weren’t translated. Also, there were many similar Italian names during Caravaggio’s time that were difficult to remember. I had to restart the book to refresh my memory. It also takes a while for the book to pick up.

Despite the few negatives, this was a great read. It tied up some loose ends from the first part and also had some cliffhangers that would make you anticipate the next part of the series. The author took her time with the plot and character development, and I believe this was the reason the book took a while to pick up. It was also excellently edited, as I didn’t notice any errors. The book’s positive aspects far outweigh its negatives. As a result, I award it 4 out of 4 stars.

This book has it all. It has themes of action, romance, crime, and thriller that fans of these genres will enjoy. Art lovers will also appreciate the in-depth talk about Renaissance and Baroque artists and their works in this book. However, this book contains some mature content and profanities that may not be suitable for some readers.

The Girl Who Loved Caravaggio
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Nwaka Chukwuemeka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nwaka-chukwuemeka.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Nwaka Chukwuemeka »

I love this review, it has provided me with enough insight and motivation to read the book. Great review.
Oyedeji Funmilayo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oyedeji-funmilayo.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Oyedeji Funmilayo »

This book has a wonderful plot. It has themes of action, crime and romance all in one book. It definitely seen like a good read. Wonderful review welldone!!!!
Abu_Aisha1
Currently Reading: Fireproof Happiness
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abu-aisha1.html
Latest Review: ChatGPT for Entrepreneurs by Steven A. Ridder

Post by Abu_Aisha1 »

Indeed, having to deal with the Italian Mafia is a case to be considered critically. However, I think the author must have done a great job switching seamlessly between Caravaggio’s time in the 16th/17th century and the present day. This is an amazing review I must say.
Chinazo Anozie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 313
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinazo-anozie.html
Latest Review: Overcoming Anxiety and Depression by Lillyin Love

Post by Chinazo Anozie »

Nwaka Chukwuemeka wrote: 13 Aug 2022, 11:45 I love this review, it has provided me with enough insight and motivation to read the book. Great review.
Thanks. Happy reading!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”