Review of Wild World

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Shanesha Sammerson
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 229
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shanesha-sammerson.html
Latest Review: My Trip To Adele by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Review of Wild World

Post by Shanesha Sammerson »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Wild World" by Peter S. Rush.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Wild World by Peter S. Rush tells a compelling story about an upcoming graduate, Steve Logan and his essential role in the Vietnam War. The war hit home for him when local police used brutal force and intentionally killed four students from Kent State University because they were protesting earnestly against the destructive war. Steve struggled valiantly with his elaborate plans on how he could make a difference in the war when he met an honorary Police Officer who went against the corrupt system to bring moral justice. This provided him with an alternative perspective on how he could serve outsiders by entering the system.

He unanimously decides to put aside going to law school and join the New York City Police Department with the approval of his girlfriend Roxy. His familiar friends, on the other hand, disapproved of his decision. In the academy, because of his academic background and gallant fight for justice, he is jeered at by his police peers. He also faces a whirlwind of stigma from his friends and girlfriend when they encounter the reality of his job. Can he pursue his intended journey alone and make a difference by rooting out the dishonourable cops from the corrupted system, or is it too tremendous a personal risk for his relationship?

I heartily enjoyed reading this influential book as I was able to witness the war from a cop's unique perspective. It caused me to realize that there are two sides to a story, and you need to consider them both before making a judgment. Although the war was meaningless, in my humble opinion, it caused strife between people and the controversial law because even though as police officers you might have been against the war, their duty always came first. This at considerable times would naturally cause people to typically see cops as the potential enemy, which I must candidly admit I do as well. When in fact they are carrying out their jobs and trying to keep the peace. Therefore, I would sincerely like to thank the author for enabling me to be able to witness those historic events from a different perspective.

There was nothing I disliked about the book. I must admit it is not my usual genre, so I did not expect to keenly appreciate it as much. I am, however, delighted I wisely decided to read it as I realized how lucky I am to not have been a part of the aggressive war. It ruthlessly destroys people and relationships and brings out the worst in people.

I found this book to be exceptionally well edited with few errors and would rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. It has taught me a lot of valuable lessons; one being that sometimes doing the right thing will naturally cause formidable enemies. However, in the end, justice always prevails as the earth always finds a way of correcting itself.

This book is for a mature audience only as it contains a lot of profanity and erotic scenes. However, it was in proper context with the plot of the book and only enhanced the reading experience. Anyone who genuinely enjoys reading about contentious history and its profound effect on society would enjoy this remarkable book.

Wild World
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Mary Lou Mills
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Kalayla
Currently Reading: The Buffalo Soldier
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mary-lou-mills.html
Latest Review: Affliction: Growing Up With a Closeted Gay Dad by Laura Hall

Post by Mary Lou Mills »

I'm confused reading your review. The police weren't involved directly in the war. They were involved in protests about the war. I would have liked to have seen some feedback from some of Steve's friends who went to Vietnam.
Ilze Herholdt
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Salt of the Earth
Currently Reading: It Strikes Again
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ilze-herholdt.html
Latest Review: Healing Wounds of the Soul by Elizabeth Campos

Post by Ilze Herholdt »

Wild World" by Peter S. Rush is the story about war protect triggered by the police shooting on a peaceful demonstration at Kent State University in Ohio, killing four students and injuring nine others. I love the main character Steve for his compassion to do the right thing.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”