Review of Kalayla

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
let_it_read
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-let-it-read.html
Latest Review: Wonks by William Reese Hamilton

Review of Kalayla

Post by let_it_read »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Kalayla" by Jeannie Nicholas.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas is the story of three women with distinct life stories. These three women, despite the age gap, found their comfort within each other.

Maureen is an independent single parent. She works almost restlessly every day to support the needs of her daughter, Kalayla. She even has to give up her passion for arts after her husband died to earn more money for her daughter. Kalayla is an observing teenage girl. At her age, she's aware of the hardships of her mother, so she's doing her best to be less burden. She has also been through so much because of the passing of her father. But despite the things she faced, she was a strong and independent girl, just like her mother. Meanwhile, Lena is an old lady who owns the apartment that Maurine and Kalayla were renting. These three women would change the perspectives of readers on the definition of family.

This book taught me a lot of lessons about family, races, and even parenting, but my favorite among them are the life lessons it shared. These life lessons cover a big group of targeted readers. Each character taught me different life lessons, but the one that I could hardly relate to is Kalayla's life lessons. In the book, she found out one big lie that her parents kept to her. But she didn't get mad at her parents, in fact, she stays with her mother when no one wants to do so. I also learned from Kalayla is shown as a girl who has a foul mouth and would not hesitate to say facts, even if it would hurt others. I learned from this trait of Kalayla that truth is always better than sugar-coated lies.

This book also holds a grip hold of relatability. The author also narrated the book creatively and with a touch of humor from Kalayla's character. I also like how the author didn't use words that are so hard to comprehend.

I found nothing to dislike about this book. It was professionally edited, and I found no errors. It would be absurd if I deducted any star from the rating, so I give this book four out of four stars.

I would recommend this book to three generations. It is for teenagers who live their lives to the fullest and to find good in everything despite the hardships they already faced. It is also for parents who are doing their best to give support to their children. And last, I would recommend it to readers who might think that they can't do anything anymore because of their age and their past. This book would give you a lot of lessons and laughter.

Kalayla
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
MsH2k
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

I love your recommendation to the various generations. Indeed, this story has a lot to offer. Thank you for your thoughtful take on this read!
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
Hannah Mae Fabro
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hannah-mae-fabro.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer

Post by Hannah Mae Fabro »

The storyline of this book sounds catchy. Thank you for your wonderful review.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”