Review of A Dream For Peace

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kenneth Onyenwe
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kenneth-onyenwe.html
Latest Review: The Blandford Fly by D.N. Moore

Review of A Dream For Peace

Post by Kenneth Onyenwe »

[Following is a volunteer review of "A Dream For Peace" by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah is a true-life account of Algeria's and other French colonies' struggles for independence. The book detailed the life history of Dr. Ghoulem Berrah and the role he played in Algeria's independence. While studying medicine on scholarship In France, he involved himself with student bodies intending to form synergies to free Algeria from colonial rule. After many failed attempts by the French police to nail him, he fled to Spain but was imprisoned there because of French influence. After his release, he traveled back to Algeria and practiced his medical profession for a while before moving to America to obtain his doctoral degree. Motivated by the quest to serve Africa, the author resigned from his teaching position at Yale University and moved to the Ivory Coast to assist President Houphouët-Boigny in building the country as a special assistant. This position helped him contribute to Algeria's independence from France, the development of the Ivory Coast, and the peace agreement between Israel and Palestine. If you want to know more about the Nigerian Civil War, the apartheid regime in South Africa, and the independence of Somalia, the rest of the book has a good account.

A little heads up before reading this book should be to read for knowledge's sake and not to attach emotions. I said this because an African who read this book and learned about France's unfair treatment of their colonies might develop a hatred for the French people. For example, at some point, the French National Assembly passed a bill in 1947 that equated the single vote of a French citizen from the first college to eight Algerian Muslims from the second college. This action was in the past and should not be used to judge the future. Let peace lead.

The one thing I disliked about the book is that it has a lot of names (characters) who played minor roles in helping the author contribute toward Algeria's freedom. I did not bother memorizing the many characters in the book because I was reading for knowledge rather than academic purposes. I struggled to connect the dots in the stories while trying to remember the many names mentioned.

I learned from this book that we cannot always get what we want out of life. In such situations, be brutally honest with yourself and move on. When the author met Titi, a beautiful young lady studying pharmacy in Switzerland, he fell in love. For the next couple of months, he shuttled between Abidjan and Switzerland every weekend to physically see his new lover. Dr. Berrah even arranged for his boss, the president, to help tell Titi how much love he has for her. After these sacrifices, the young lady's parents did not give their consent. It took time for the author to be sincere and walk away.

Furthermore, the publishers did great work proofreading the novel. The author has a good command of English and is very knowledgeable about the world's political and religious events. The book has themes not limited to war, marriage, and religion. The author was a Muslim who married a Christian and worked as a diplomat, a job that took him around the world to help build mosques and cathedrals, in addition to helping bring peace to the Middle East and Africa. I did not find any profane words in the book. Considering the above, I am awarding this book a rating of four out of four stars.

I recommend this book to anyone interested in learning about inspiring political transformation. This book also has a comprehensive account of the activities of the colonial masters in Africa. Also, this book has valuable lessons on how the author successfully maintained an interfaith marriage between a Christian and a Muslim.

A Dream For Peace
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Rita Nuncia
Currently Reading: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rita-nuncia.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush

Post by Rita Nuncia »

I always wonder how people write a detailed book on their life when I can barely remember some things that happened to me last month. Anyway, good one from the author. Nice review!
Nwaka Chukwuemeka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nwaka-chukwuemeka.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Nwaka Chukwuemeka »

The book has altered my perspective on making myself happy. I have learned alot from this book on how to gain peace in a turbulent time. Great review.
Bef Ozo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 72
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bef-ozo.html
Latest Review: Ditching Success? by Batoul I. Ajlouni

Post by Bef Ozo »

It's really sad what Africa and her freedom fighters had to face just to get the best for Africans. I enjoyed your review too. It made me hunger more for this book.
Mercy Udeokeke
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercy-udeokeke.html
Latest Review: Mothers Vol. 1 by Ben Burgess Jr.

Post by Mercy Udeokeke »

I’m inspired by the author’s good work in fighting for independence in his country Algeria. His resilience even when faced with challenges is motivating.
Judy O
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-judy-o.html
Latest Review: Granite Kingdom by Eric Pope

Post by Judy O »

Dr. Ghoulem Berrah is quite an inspirational character. A freedom fighter and a doctor; his life is quite influential. I would love to know all about it. Nicely written.
Blessing Chi Peculiar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blessing-chi-peculiar.html
Latest Review: Maria Tunicka Conductor by James Aiello

Post by Blessing Chi Peculiar »

A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem is one of the best book I have ever read. The author was selfless in his goal. I really love his courage and love for his nation. Great review.
Stevenmusk
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stevenmusk.html
Latest Review: Under the Blue Moon by Joan Schweighardt

Post by Stevenmusk »

The determination and hardwork that was exhibited in this book is inspiring and fascinating. It encourages you to make the best out of life and try to achieve your dreams no matter the cost.
Hakeem nuel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hakeem-nuel.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Hakeem nuel »

The life journey of Ghoulem Berrah is an inspiring one. I enjoyed reading the book.
Cesyao
Favorite Author: Jack Winnick
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cesyao.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe
fav_author_id: 77547

Post by Cesyao »

A Dream for Peace is a thought-provoking and inspiring read that compels us to reflect on our role in creating a more peaceful society.
Elvischukwu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elvischukwu.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Elvischukwu »

A Dream for Peace reminds us that peace is not an abstract concept but a tangible goal that requires individual and collective action.
Kelvin Modilim
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelvin-modilim.html
Latest Review: Sound of Redemption by William John Rostron

Post by Kelvin Modilim »

The author's sensitivity and respect for the Algerian people and their history are evident throughout the book, ensuring an authentic and empathetic portrayal of their experiences.
Ori Daniel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ori-daniel.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger

Post by Ori Daniel »

For the betterment of Africa, Africa and her freedom fighters passed through alot. But the resilience shown is very incredible. An interesting review.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”