Review of Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jen Nghishitende
Currently Reading: Exploring Wine Regions – Bordeaux France
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jen-nghishitende.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Review of Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress

Post by Jen Nghishitende »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress" by Gustavo Kinrys, MD.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys and Alexandra Gold is a valuable addition to the many books on this topic. The authors herein, however, provide an approach that will be appreciated by most, that is, natural remedies that counter stress and anxiety. The authors begin by giving an overview of the definition and symptoms of anxiety, stress, and fear, who experiences it and how it is experienced. The authors then delve into addictive and non-addictive prescription drugs for these conditions and weigh in on the benefits and side effects of these medicines.

By looking at common cognitive distortions, readers get an insight into identifying particular behaviour and reactions to stressful situations and how CBT may help manage specific responses. The book also addresses the individual directly, surveying how we respond to these conditions and highlighting that management is essential as these are inherent in life. However, the crux of the book is the different natural remedies provided to manage these situations and stay healthy, nourishing foods that have nutritional value congruent to this, herbal-based treatments, natural medications, and therapies to manage stress and anxiety.

I thoroughly enjoyed reading this short book, so much so that I read it in one sitting. The first takeaway is the emphasis on writing and reflecting on keeping track of how we feel and react. Writing and reflecting can prevent negative consequences and emotional labour.

I also thoroughly enjoyed reading about the nutritional-based remedies and was delighted to learn about the ones I did not know about. I like that most of the mentioned sources of nutrition are easily accessible in grocery stores and drug stores. Further, I also enjoyed reading and learning about the herbals. I already use a few of them myself. Still, I was somewhat surprised – pleasantly so, to learn that Hops can be used to counter stress and anxiety. I was also delighted to learn about other interesting ones, such as Aѕhwаgаndhа, which I hope can be grown in one’s garden. Others sparked my interest, but I will not mention them here, lest I give away spoilers.

I also liked that the authors used simple, accessible English throughout this book, apart from when this is impossible, for instance, when describing specific names of medicines and so forth. I have always appreciated this style of writing in books dealing with well-being.

There is nothing I disliked about this book. It is well edited, and I only noted one minor error. I rate it four out of four stars. I recommend this book to everyone. Stress is an inevitable part of all our lives, and well-being is essential for us all. While we can’t remove stress entirely from our lives, we can manage it, which this book guides on, in the form of natural remedies.

Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Nyam Bura
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: When No One Else Believed
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nyam-bura.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Nyam Bura »

I have also read this book and I loved it. The suggestions given are very simple to follow and easy to understand. This is a book that everyone should read.
Mark Ntuli
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mark-ntuli.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Mark Ntuli »

Kinrys and Gold present scientific research in a way that is accessible to readers without overwhelming them with technical jargon.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”