Review of A Dream For Peace

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Praise GodWord
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 172
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-praise-godword.html
Latest Review: Retirement Planning by William C. Evergreen

Review of A Dream For Peace

Post by Praise GodWord »

[Following is a volunteer review of "A Dream For Peace" by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

A Dream for Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah is an ambassador memoir of an inspiring, detailed account of the diplomatic history of Africa.

Ghoulem was born in Aïn Beïda, a small town in Algeria. He lived in the era when the French colonized the country. As a medical student, he crossed paths with other Muslim students who were Algerians, and he witnessed them being discriminated against. Soon, they formed an anti-colonial association where they protested and voiced out the discrimination they faced. After his country's independence and freedom from the colonial bondage of the Frenchmen, he returned to Algeria and became President Felix Houphouët-Boigny's closest counselor. He met with various important persons, including world leaders. He helped and assisted the presidents who took him as a son and one of his most trusted men. Despite all these things, peace was a missing quality in some countries, leading to a war that saddened the president and Ghoulem. The question now arises: How does the absence of peace affect these countries? What would President Houphouët-Boigny and Dr. Ghoulem do to secure peace? This book provided a detailed historical view of a man who dedicated his life to working for peace.

A Dream for Peace is shaped by the author's diplomatic experience in global politics. It contains a detailed history of post-colonial Africa and his incredible journey as a freedom fighter for the independence of his country, Algeria. It further explains the author's struggle from childhood as an Algerian child living in a European colony to being the president's adviser. The dialogues used in the book rendered the prose more conversational and indulged in generalization. The prose includes excessive descriptions of characters and locations and sometimes focuses on the world rather than the author himself. The book envisioned Dr. Ghoulem Berrah as more than a doctor and an ambassador but a freedom fighter.

Reading thoroughly through the book resulted in some lovable aspects which I came across. Firstly, the author's memories are enclosed in this book, including his meeting with prominent people. These memories are the foundation of the prose and its remarkable story. Also, the photos illuminate the story, and on some pages, I came across more than one photo which conveys a sense of understanding. Furthermore, the author's observative description of each character is full of knowledge and warmness, as he tends to focus on the positive side in relation to their good deeds. His relationship with his wife, who is a Catholic, and their intermarriage is something I find very amazing.

The part I find less appealing is where some conversations and sentences were written in French even though the book is written in English. These French parts had no translation and could be very disturbing to readers who do not understand the French language.

I would rate this intriguing memoir 4 out of 4 stars, as it was professionally edited. Even the grammatical errors I found were not a hindrance while reading.

I recommend this book to anyone interested in reading books directed at Africa's political and diplomatic history.

A Dream For Peace
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Elvischukwu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elvischukwu.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Elvischukwu »

This novel delves deep into the complexities of conflict and showcases the transformative power of empathy and understanding.
Kelvin Modilim
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelvin-modilim.html
Latest Review: Sound of Redemption by William John Rostron

Post by Kelvin Modilim »

I appreciated the author's objective approach, presenting multiple perspectives and voices to provide a well-rounded portrayal of the complex struggle for liberation.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”