Review of Bluewater Walkabout

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Natalie Sheph
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-natalie-sheph.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson

Review of Bluewater Walkabout

Post by Natalie Sheph »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Bluewater Walkabout" by Tina Dreffin.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin is a memoir that will make you look at life from a different angle. The main idea of the book is to recover from mental trauma through adventurous travel. The author, along with her husband and two teenage children, sets out on an unforgettable journey in Africa that involves many dangers: a high level of crime, various infectious diseases, and sharks, which Tina is so terrified of.

I loved Tina's sincerity and courage when she talked about such topics as sexual violence. The first time it happened was in college, and the abuser was Tina's boyfriend. I think it's important for young people to know that abusers are not just strangers, and sometimes it is someone you blindly trust. In addition, the courage of one person to speak out about such trauma often gives bravery to others, who'd been through the same. Therefore, I would say that this book is full of hope and a positive mood, which soon spreads to the reader.

The book is not boring. The alternation of past and present, dangers and adventures will keep the reader hooked to the book. The scenes of violence are not too graphic and do not change the general mood of the book, but they are enough to imagine what the author had to go through. I read the Kindle version of the book, which included family photos. This was a very nice fact and helped me understand the whole story better.

Honestly, I can't think of anything I didn't like. The storyline is perfectly organized. In the preface, we learn when the author decided to take this trip and what were the prerequisites for it; We get to know her family, and travel preparations, and at the same time learn about her past. Then the departure process, and the journey itself, changed the lives of our heroes.

Because of everything said above, I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. Africa is a mystical place. You never know if a lion will frighten you, an elephant, or a shark in the ocean; these and many other adventures will make you want to have some wild adventures too. This book is exceptionally well-edited since I just noticed two minor errors. I recommend the book to everyone who likes travel memoirs. I also think that those who are having a difficult time will get inspiration from this book.

Bluewater Walkabout
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Chimereucheya Okoroafo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chimereucheya-okoroafo.html
Latest Review: Life's ecstasy and eternal struggles by Sandra mayfield

Post by Chimereucheya Okoroafo »

Tina's life has a lot of lessons one can learn from and it's great to share such stories for purposes of therapy and teaching others to prevent the same from happening to them. I hope that their journey to Africa wasn't all so bad. Nice review.
You have a life to live. If you ain't living it, that's failure. :tiphat:
Natalie Sheph
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-natalie-sheph.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson

Post by Natalie Sheph »

Chimereucheya Okoroafo wrote: 23 Sep 2022, 05:51 Tina's life has a lot of lessons one can learn from and it's great to share such stories for purposes of therapy and teaching others to prevent the same from happening to them. I hope that their journey to Africa wasn't all so bad. Nice review.
Totally agree with your opinion! Thank you for commenting.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”