Review of Wild World

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: Why in the World Are We Here?
Bookshelf Size: 2400
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Review of Wild World

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Wild World" by Peter S. Rush.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

“All we are saying is give peace a chance”

-John Lennon-

Four students who protested the Vietnam War died and nine were wounded in the Kate State Massacre. Steve, his girlfriend Roxy, Cal, and Andy are students at Brown when this happens, and they’re rightfully outraged at the brutality. With classes suspended, the imminent danger of the draft, and the social tension at its max, all of them will have to decide what to do with their lives. They all want to change the status quo. Our protagonist, Steve, had planned to attend law school, but a speech by a New York Police Department Sergeant convinces him that the best way to make a difference is from within. What will happen when Steve gets to face real life? Will Roxy, the angriest of them all, stay by his side when things get tough? Wild World by Peter S. Rush is, of course, historical fiction. But it is also a social commentary, a romance story, and a coming-of-age tale. Through the eyes of Steve, we’ll explore the not-so-pretty realities of 1970s Providence. It was not all peace, love, psychedelics, and great music. Steve will have to face the facts of leaving the Ivy League bubble and fighting for a cause at the same time he fights for his relationship with troubled Roxy.

“America! Love it or leave it.” (p. 14). “They should go back to where they came from.” (p. 177). “Women must demand equal rights.” (p. 135). Do these statements sound familiar? I know I heard them repeatedly in the past few years. This leads to my favorite asset of this book: it’s (sadly) relatable. I didn’t live through the 70s, but the questions and social issues that Wild World makes us ponder are as current as they were back then. Police brutality, immigration, women’s rights, racial disparities, and the distrust of authority are still hot-button issues 50 years later. The flawed nature of the main characters adds another layer for the reader to relate to and makes them multidimensional, memorable entities.

The author perfectly recreated the 70s atmosphere without info-dumping or sounding like a history textbook. For example, casually, one character mentions how ridiculous he finds the idea of a female lacrosse team.

Another stellar feature is the soundtrack of this book. Not only do we hear fragments from legends such as John Lennon, Cat Stevens, The Temptations, Marvin Gaye, and The Rolling Stones, but also I could actually hear the students shouting “Hell no, we won’t go.” I got goosebumps. That’s how immersive the reading experience of this novel is.

Finally, the novel's thought-provoking nature stands out because it’s not a dense, obscure text. The pages fly by and we still find ourselves asking, for example, if the best way to change the system is from within. What would we do if the power was in our hands? Should love trump over our personal aspirations? Would we do the right thing even if it meant personal risk?

This is, in my opinion, a flawless novel from the narrative standpoint. If I had a complaint (and I don’t) is that the end was predictable. This is not a problem because the novel is not a thriller and the enjoyment doesn’t come from guessing what will happen at the end, but from exploring, along with the characters, the realities of a corrupt society and an imperfect love. For a character-driven novel, a predictable ending is a minute defect.

I rate Wild World 3 out of 4 stars because of the meaningful social commentary, outstanding character development, relatability, and perfect recreation of the period. I only subtracted a star because I found over ten editing mistakes. They do not hinder the reading experience, but such are the rules.

History buffs, readers interested in politics, sociology, and ethics, as well as readers who enjoy realistic romances, will love this novel. I wouldn’t recommend it to extreme right-wing readers, people who look for fairytale romances, or readers who need twists, turns, and constant guessing in the plot. But we all, however, should give peace a chance.

Wild World
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Cheryl Erickson
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: 3 Sisters 3 Weeks 3 Countries (Still Talking)
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cheryl-erickson.html
Latest Review: The Caroler by Liza Martini
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Cheryl Erickson »

I acted in a play based on the Kent State tragedy. It was quite an emotional experience. I think I could really get into reading this book and hearing different perspectives during that time period. I am hoping that Steve, Roxy, Cal, and Andy can find a way to make a difference in such a turbulent time. I am most impressed with your outstanding, comprehensive review of this book. I truly enjoy reading your book reviews.
Chimereucheya Okoroafo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chimereucheya-okoroafo.html
Latest Review: Life's ecstasy and eternal struggles by Sandra mayfield

Post by Chimereucheya Okoroafo »

Insightful. It's sad, the impacts of war on a society. Steve and his friends have to put their normal lives on hold in order to find a way to stay alive and work towards a solution to the war. I enjoyed that you're able to relate with this story but I'm sorry for the sad memories that came with it. Good review.
You have a life to live. If you ain't living it, that's failure. :tiphat:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html

Chimereucheya Okoroafo wrote: 07 Sep 2022, 23:53 Insightful. It's sad, the impacts of war on a society. Steve and his friends have to put their normal lives on hold in order to find a way to stay alive and work towards a solution to the war. I enjoyed that you're able to relate with this story but I'm sorry for the sad memories that came with it. Good review.
It's terribly sad that decisions taken by politicians often based on their own interests can impact or even stop the lives of normal, well-meaning citizens. Thank you for your comment.
Christell Lindeque
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 277
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christell-lindeque.html
Latest Review: Field Guide to Sinisters and Benevolents by Nancy L Vallette

Post by Christell Lindeque »

Great review. I liked reading this book and also felt like the author created a realistic 70s atmosphere. It was one of the things I liked about this book.
Chris Walter Mason
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chris-walter-mason.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush

Post by Chris Walter Mason »

Steve is such a wonderful character I love do much. He did what many can't do for safety of his nation and eradication of corruption.
Amy Luman
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Time Before Time by Dan DuBose
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I tried to read this book and found the first half incredibly slow. I do agree that things have to change, but not at the expense of our soldiers. It's government policy that needs to change.
Oyedeji Funmilayo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oyedeji-funmilayo.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Oyedeji Funmilayo »

Leaders can be a gift or curse, no one deserves to die unfairly fighting for things that it is their right. Being the element of change in a corrupt system can be very challenging. I hope Steve pull through and win his cause.

Amy Luman wrote: 09 Sep 2022, 19:35 I tried to read this book and found the first half incredibly slow. I do agree that things have to change, but not at the expense of our soldiers. It's government policy that needs to change.
I completely agree. Things need to change not only without risking soldiers, but ideally without risking anyone. I'm quite surprised that you found the beginning slow. I was hooked just from the sample back from when it was BOTM. But maybe that's because I enjoy character-driven stories and I'm a bit (a lot) obsessed with the 60s and 70s. Why did you think it was boring?
Thank you for taking the time to read and comment!

Oyedeji Funmilayo wrote: 10 Sep 2022, 23:45 Leaders can be a gift or curse, no one deserves to die unfairly fighting for things that it is their right. Being the element of change in a corrupt system can be very challenging. I hope Steve pull through and win his cause.
It must be incredibly challenging. And I can honestly say this book, along with several other things going on in my life, made me ponder how we can all be elements of change.
Thank you for your insightful comment!
Amy Luman
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Time Before Time by Dan DuBose
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

María Andrea Fernández wrote: 14 Sep 2022, 21:27
Amy Luman wrote: 09 Sep 2022, 19:35 I tried to read this book and found the first half incredibly slow. I do agree that things have to change, but not at the expense of our soldiers. It's government policy that needs to change.
I completely agree. Things need to change not only without risking soldiers, but ideally without risking anyone. I'm quite surprised that you found the beginning slow. I was hooked just from the sample back from when it was BOTM. But maybe that's because I enjoy character-driven stories and I'm a bit (a lot) obsessed with the 60s and 70s. Why did you think it was boring?
There wasn’t just one thing. It just went really slow. I had to read almost all of it more than once to get the meaning. I have read another review where she said she had the same problem, but it picked up. Maybe I just didn’t give it enough of a chance.

Amy Luman wrote: 15 Sep 2022, 10:16
María Andrea Fernández wrote: 14 Sep 2022, 21:27
There wasn’t just one thing. It just went really slow. I had to read almost all of it more than once to get the meaning. I have read another review where she said she had the same problem, but it picked up. Maybe I just didn’t give it enough of a chance.
I guess, yes. I'm not particularly patient, to be honest. But I think our willingness to read a certain book also depends on our mood and our life situation at the time. At least for me.
Sarah Sonbol
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-sonbol.html
Latest Review: Virus 4 Peace by June
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Sarah Sonbol »

I liked the idea of the book and the themes presented, but honestly, I didn't enjoy reading it. Its slow pace, excessive use of profanities, sexual scenes and the lack of depth for many characters are drawbacks that I found in it. However, your review is great. Thanks yit.
Latest Review: Virus 4 Peace by June
Stephanie Runyon
Favorite Author: Destiny Hawkins
Favorite Book: The Omicron Six
Currently Reading: The North Factor
Bookshelf Size: 1662
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-runyon.html
Latest Review: Crossing Paths by Nina Purtee
Reading Device: B07R3HTWLN
fav_author_id: 100303

Post by Stephanie Runyon »

This isn't a book I would normally read since I tend to become bored with history and historical fiction books. However, I do think it is something worth reading a book that makes the reader self-reflect. If I was given power? I do have power. Change starts with just one person.
"Facts don't care about feelings." Ben Shapiro
"Don't try to keep up with me, I live on the edge too thin to see." Ryan Upchurch
"See, one man's inconvenience is another's joy." NF
Not available anymore
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-covenant-morolayo-olusegun.html
Latest Review: Stones by James C. Hendee

Post by Not available anymore »

I like the quote in the beginning of your review, police brutality, women's rights, racial disparities are really strong there's and I like that the book explores them, and to be honest I've read the book and the thought provoking aspect is the one I like most

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”