Review of Bluewater Walkabout

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Victoria Ukamaka
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victoria-ukamaka.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Review of Bluewater Walkabout

Post by Victoria Ukamaka »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Bluewater Walkabout" by Tina Dreffin.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Tina Dreffin's Bluewater Walkabout is a 23-chapter memoir that takes the reader on an adventurous journey with Tina and her family. As a girl whose family moved about a lot, Tina grew up loving traveling and feeling nature. As we know, we mostly attract what we constantly think about. This becomes a reality for Tina as she attracts Peter, a fine man who enjoys adventures and practically spends most of his time on board a ship, exploring the world. Peter and Tina are birds of a kind.

After years of having their two sons, they decide that the whole family will go on a South Pacific expedition. Following them on their journey, we experience their joys and fears with them. What does Africa have in store for them? How did they cope with dreadful and dangerous situations throughout their journey? You will have to find out when you read this Bluewater Walkabout.

Tina knows how to tell a story. She never spared details. This is an excellent way to write a memoir, taking the readers on the journey with her and giving them a chance to have the whole experience through her descriptions and storytelling skills. Tina Dreffin reached down to her most vulnerable places to share terrible but essential experiences. Her horrible job hunting experience! It is not easy for people to talk openly about sexual assaults and molestations, especially when they are victims. There is a chance that people will blame them for being a victim. Thank you, Tina, for sharing these personal experiences with us.

There were many things I liked about this memoir. First, I appreciate Tina's willingness to forgo her fears for the sake of her children. Although she did not particularly like the sea, the expedition was dedicated to their sons, and she went along for the ride. I learned from the author, Tina Dreffin, that it's okay to have fears and doubts. In the days before the expedition began and as the trip began, she was constantly trying to figure out if she had made the right decision. In her lifetime, she has made some bold decisions. The experience with the barracuda was terrifying! Tina is certainly a strong-willed lady.

I love that this memoir has images in it. I got to see the barracuda, their sloop, the whole family, and their experience at sea. Each chapter starts with an image that gives you a clue as to what the chapter is about. These pictorial presentations are the best aspect of this book for me. My second favorite thing is the often shared intuitive and relatable quotes. There were quotes from Albert Einstein, T.S. Eliot, John Irving, etc. I particularly love a quote by Oscar Wilde on page 17: "Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken." Also, the author's power of description is lovely. Her word choices are simple, and her style is very descriptive, often likening things she sees or experiences to other things the reader can relate to. It's wonderful! Another thing that I love so much is Tina's relationship with her husband. The way they view life will make you rethink your own life. Are you living a happy life, doing the things that matter to you, or are you trying to live society's accepted life? This is something to think about. For these reasons, I am rating Bluewater Walkabout 4 out of 4 stars.

I couldn't find anything to dislike in this book. I, however, found a few errors, which were minimal in nature. Even though this book is a memoir, it was written in a creative storytelling style that takes the reader along on the various adventures the characters undertook.

I recommend this book to readers who love adventure books. They would enjoy this family adventure. I would also encourage teenage girls to read it (under parental supervision) because of the issues and statistics of sexual assault discussed in it. It will help them learn from others' experiences so that similar things will not happen to them.

Bluewater Walkabout
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Summer Henrietta
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-summer-henrietta.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Summer Henrietta »

I have read this book and I totally agree with you when you say she didn't spare any details at all.
This book was really engaging and I enjoyed every bit of it.
Your review gave me more insights too.
Kudos!
Christabel Egbeama
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christabel-egbeama.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet
Reading Device: B09KBSDRDG

Post by Christabel Egbeama »

I enjoyed reading Bluewater Walkabout. Dreffin's writing style is quite commendable as she captures every details that will aid in a vivid visualization of the narrative's scenes.
Lulu Efobi
Currently Reading: Totem
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gathy-eyam-frank.html
Latest Review: The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon

Post by Lulu Efobi »

Tina is an amazing author. She puts life into her writing and it comes out as a masterpiece. I enjoyed reading this book and I'm pleased that your review captured major highlights in the book. Great review!
Ozioma Miriam
Currently Reading: The Love Charm
Bookshelf Size: 72
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ozioma-miriam.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Ozioma Miriam »

Their visit to the national park in South Africa was enlightening, intriguing, and thrilling. Tina and her husband have a peculiar lifestyle. Nice review.
Judy O
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-judy-o.html
Latest Review: Granite Kingdom by Eric Pope

Post by Judy O »

The way you have penned down this review intrigues me. I would have to read about Tina and her family's adventures on board their ship next.
Ronky279
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ronky279.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Ronky279 »

Nice and captivating review. Tina's story was both educational and entertaining. Congrats on the publication
Chidera agbata
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chidera-agbata.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C

Post by Chidera agbata »

This review is very informative. I've read this book, and i must say this book is a 4 out of 4 Star.
James Nicholas75
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-james-nicholas75.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by James Nicholas75 »

I admire Tina's courage and openness. Her difficult and dark experiences, like the sexual assaults she received from clients, the adventures contained in this book, and the motivational quotes are sure to leave huge positive impacts in the lives of readers.
Am Eso
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-am-eso.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush

Post by Am Eso »

On first sight, I was fascinated by this book cover. And your captivating review convinces me that this book is not only interesting, but also educational and intriguing. I'm very interested in knowing more about this book, and I'll definitely read it next.
lawisimportant23
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lawisimportant23.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by lawisimportant23 »

The story sounds both complex and well-thought out. Great review.
Mozi Ken
Currently Reading: Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mozi-ken.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Mozi Ken »

It's interesting reading about Tina and her family. She seems to be the only cool head among them. Her husband and children are hyperactive. Good review
Chimereucheya Okoroafo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chimereucheya-okoroafo.html
Latest Review: Life's ecstasy and eternal struggles by Sandra mayfield

Post by Chimereucheya Okoroafo »

Tina seems to have been saved by a journey she was not expecting. It is beautiful how this therapy the crew members needed came to them. This book is really helpful and enlightening. Nice review.
You have a life to live. If you ain't living it, that's failure. :tiphat:
Timothee22
Favorite Author: David Schwarzkopf
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-timothee22.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer
fav_author_id: 248826

Post by Timothee22 »

Adventures are not just good for mental health, they are also good to learn about various cultures of different places. That was what I learned from this book.
De law
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-de-law.html
Latest Review: A Long Ago place by Donna Betten

Post by De law »

Adventure books are one of the best books out there. I would want to know how this trip ends for Tina and her family.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”