Review of Zona: The Forbidden Land

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Precious Oba
Currently Reading: Bluewater walkabout into Africa
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-precious-oba.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C

Review of Zona: The Forbidden Land

Post by Precious Oba »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Zona: The Forbidden Land" by Fred G. Baker.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Grant arrives in Russia to take charge of his Uncle Randall's property. His uncle, a researcher and expeditionist, adores him very much and has bequeathed his apartment and fortune to him. Randall had made a trip the previous year to Zona, a restricted area close to northern Siberia, but he never returned. Grant meets Boris, his uncle's lawyer, and Irina, Boris' niece, who helps him with the paperwork. Soon, he is warned by a strange man to be careful, as many influential people want what happened with his uncle's expedition swept under the rug. This makes him feel like his uncle might just be missing and not dead, as implied by the government.

He encounters further suspicious people and occurrences, which make him think twice about his safety. However, amid his doubt, he takes a liking to Irina, and they become intimate after going on different dates. He finds a note from his uncle warning him not to trust anyone, including Irina and Boris; the strange man is suddenly murdered in front of the hotel he had been staying at, and his uncle's lawyer calls for a mysterious meeting. Grant must now tread cautiously as he moves into an uncertain future.

Fred G. Baker's Zona: The Forbidden Land is a well-written work of fiction. The cover is attractive and calls one into a world of adventure even before it is opened. The book begins with a beautiful film-like setting—an American in a strange land (Russia). It struck my imagination immediately, and it was like I was watching a film during the period that I read. The setting and characters are quite interesting. Despite how many there were, each character was well-developed. It was simply amazing how the author crafted his story without leaving any character behind. I love how Baker infuses into the plot lessons on survival in a time of uncertainty. Other themes include courage, love, empathy, trust, leadership, and human folly, as exemplified by Igor. He was one of the bravest soldiers, but his folly led to his terrible death.

I thoroughly enjoyed reading all the fight scenes; I felt I was in the midst of it all. I love how brilliantly the author created those animals in Zona. He vividly described the weapons, scenery, and other things that make up the book. The maps undoubtedly gave the bare imagination of Zona and the travel routes some robust flesh. I must commend the author solely for this.

I also appreciate Baker's use of the Russian language. I am starting to like the language, thanks to him. Before I read this book, Russian had always had the impression of being a rough and aggressive language. The plot unfolds gradually, revealing built-up and built-in suspense. It moves so that the reader purposely wants to take one step at a time, feeling as unsure of the future as Grant was while stepping into his new life.

I would love for the author to include pictures of some (if not all) of the food mentioned in the novel, just like he did with the map. This is because some sounded strange and were challenging to picture. The lascivious sexual relationships that developed among the expedition crew, particularly with the main character, did not appeal to me. It would have been much better if the pheromones and pollen mostly caused enhanced senses and then some sort of superpower, great intelligence, or something else as a secondary effect. But the main effect on them was a rise in libido. Our everyday lives are heavily influenced by sex, and I did not appreciate the author contributing to that. Apart from these, the book is professionally written.

There was no error in the book and this attests to its exceptional editing. I rate it three out of four stars because I was not satisfied with the amorousness it seemed to promote. Children and young readers should not read this novel, primarily because of the profanity and sexual content. It will be suitable for adult adventure or fantasy lovers and researchers looking to take a break from their work.

Zona: The Forbidden Land
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Crabby69
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crabby69.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Crabby69 »

This is an adventurous and engaging read. I love the plot and the character development. Well done on the review.
Nwaka Chukwuemeka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nwaka-chukwuemeka.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Nwaka Chukwuemeka »

What a captivating book, I have learned a lot already from your review. I will try my best to read the book. Great job.
Muna Chizzy
Currently Reading: Gardening With Guns
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-muna-chizzy.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Muna Chizzy »

This book is interesting. I love how the pollen air in Zona made the characters sex drive increase. It was amusing reading this scene.
Okoye Chinonso+
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Spare Time Novels
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinonso-okoye.html
Latest Review: Yonder's Quest by Kyle Robertson
fav_author_id: 156444

Post by Okoye Chinonso+ »

This book was quite an interesting read. The entire storyline held me captive. Indeed, your review describes the book in the best possible way. Great review.
I believe that great success is possible in any field - From music to mathematics to macro trading.
Stevenmusk
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stevenmusk.html
Latest Review: Under the Blue Moon by Joan Schweighardt

Post by Stevenmusk »

Searching for things that’s don’t seem to exist and connecting stories are all a part of the adventures that makes a book interesting. Interesting review.
Christabel Benson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christabel-benson.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Christabel Benson »

This book is interesting and your review is outstanding I have learned a lot from this review great job.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”