Review of Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventure

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ruthwriter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruthwriter.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Review of Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventure

Post by Ruthwriter »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventure" by Catherine A. Pepe.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventure by Catherine A. Pepe is an adventure book. It contained 17 chapters and 392 pages. The book centered on Mary and Donny, her brother. Donny, Mary, and their parents were on a fun-filled adventure at the Sedgwick County zoo in Wichita when suddenly Donny was declared missing. The fact that Donny was a five-year-old boy with Down syndrome not only disorganized his parents but also made them fearful and complicated the situation.

However, his disappearance became a blessing after he was found unharmed, and the situation earned him special recognition among the people and management of the zoo. Donny and his sister enjoyed special care and love from their parents throughout their period of vacation. However, their moment of joy was cut short when their parents told them that they would be relocating to California to stay with their grandparents because the church had demanded their service in Angola, Africa. Will Mary Grace and Donny survive without their parents? To find out, read this interesting book.

There are many positive aspects to this book. First, I admire Donny and Mary Grace's parents' unwavering and selfless love and support for humanity. For instance, their decision to leave the security of their home, job, friends, and family to take on the greater and more unpredictable task of serving humanity in Angola, Africa, was both great and unbelievable.

Another thing I admired about this book was the role and excellent tactics deployed by Donny's grandparents in catching the candy thieves, as well as the solution provided in solving the subsequent problem of burglary at Lyndsey's candy shop. Furthermore, I appreciate the use and importance of social media in disseminating information about Donny's sudden disappearance from the zoo. This demonstrates the importance and effectiveness of social media in quickly reaching a large number of people in an emergency. I believe readers will benefit greatly from this.

There was nothing about this book that I didn't like. It was an excellent and interesting read. I did not encounter any errors, which means this book was exceptionally edited. Given this, I rate Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventure by Catherine A. Pepe 4 out of 4 stars. It is worthless for me to give a lower rating because it was enjoyable and there was no reason to do so. I recommend this book to lovers of adventure books.

Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventure
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Gavice Victoria
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gavice-v.html
Latest Review: Where Liberty Lies by Nathaniel M Wrey

Post by Gavice Victoria »

I like how detailed and sincere this review is. I honestly enjoyed reading it. Thank you for your honesty and for sharing your thoughts on this book with us. Also, congratulations on having your review published.
As there was nothing about the book that you disliked, I would love to read it.
Chimereucheya Okoroafo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chimereucheya-okoroafo.html
Latest Review: Life's ecstasy and eternal struggles by Sandra mayfield

Post by Chimereucheya Okoroafo »

I actually thought this children's book was a brief one with a simple story and illustrations, but it's more than that, like an experience. Mary Grace watches out for her kid brother who has Down syndrome and it was beautiful to see.
You have a life to live. If you ain't living it, that's failure. :tiphat:
Judy O
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-judy-o.html
Latest Review: Granite Kingdom by Eric Pope

Post by Judy O »

Oh the children must have been sad to relocate. I wonder how they would carry on in their California. Amazing review.
Adaeze Joan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adaeze-joan.html
Latest Review: Of Roses & Storms by Sara Omar

Post by Adaeze Joan »

I am a fan of adventure tales so this book is definitely one I would enjoy reading. This book has quite a unique plot. Nice review.
Faisal Kurfi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faisal-kurfi.html
Latest Review: Winners and Losers: by Arthur Hartz
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Faisal Kurfi »

I recently reviewed this book, and I completely agree with the points you raised and the rating. Well done!
Agbata Charles
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charles-agbata-1.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Agbata Charles »

Your review is fascinating and amazing. It covered the book's entire storyline with no spoilers thanks for the great review
Peter Umeh Jr
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peter-umeh-jr.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Peter Umeh Jr »

I have no idea how a children's book should be but from your review, this looks a rather interesting read.
Kenneth Onyenwe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kenneth-onyenwe.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Post by Kenneth Onyenwe »

Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventure by Catherine A. Pepe is a book about the sudden disappearance of Donny, a five year old child with down syndrome. I enjoyed your review.
Nike nikky
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nike-nikky.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Nike nikky »

This is a very amazing review. I’ve always liked and looked forward to your reviews and this is not an exception. I enjoyed how you write I sequential order and how understanding the review is. I’m definitely reading this book soon. Congrats on your published review.
JuliusOnyango
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliusonyango.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by JuliusOnyango »

I just finished reading this book and can't agree more with you. Catherine has portrayed real life emotions of children, and written very realistic scenarios. Thank you for a lovely review.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”