Review of Cynthia and Dan

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
lawisimportant23
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lawisimportant23.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Review of Cynthia and Dan

Post by lawisimportant23 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Cynthia and Dan" by Dorothy May Mercer.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I have heard it said that love could make one do crazy things. Perhaps more damning is that I have also done insane stuff for love. However, after reading this book, it seems I may not be alone in this.

In Cynthia and Dan: Cyber War, author Dorothy May Mercer tells the story of Cynthia and her boyfriend and police officer, Dan. Cynthia serves as Senator Mike McBride's security chief, investigator, and bodyguard. She is also involved in the fight against online terrorism. An odd meeting between Cynthia and the enigmatic Sky Eastman sets off a gripping and dramatic romance story that happens in the background of the fight against terrorism on the cyber front.

What delighted me most was that the author made the characters relatable. Anyone who has been in love will agree that Cynthia's actions, while at times illogical, are a staple of love. While her relationship with Dan has become strenuous, there is no indication that her current infatuation with Sky Eastman will stand the test of time. Retrospectively, the first days of her relationship with Dan must have been just as romantic. She turns a blind eye to numerous red flags from Sky Eastman. Her love for him cannot allow her to see fault in his otherwise creepy behavior. Yet, even her naive actions are the same ones we all take when deeply in love. Dan is also, for the most part, a tragic character. He is a diligent police officer and a faithful lover. However, this is not enough to maintain a relationship with Cynthia. He cannot see the apparent cracks in their relationship. Such is the cruel nature of love. Ultimately, it matters little if the people involved are good. Without each partner investing time and effort into the relationship, it will eventually fail. I could personally relate to this.

The author manages to tackle the powerful theme of modern terrorism. Given the destruction brought about by the senseless nature of terrorism, I was delighted to see Cynthia and her team launch a fierce war against it on the cyber front. I believe we owe it to ourselves and future generations to fight to eradicate terrorism vehemently.

The book was professionally edited. The only negative I found with the book was the unnecessary and excessive use of profane language. This informed my decision to deduct one star from the overall rating. I would therefore award the book a rating of three out of four stars.

I would expressly recommend this book to fans of romantic thrillers.

Cynthia and Dan
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
OTrain Disene
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Flight Quack
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-otrain-disene.html
Latest Review: Mysteries by Graham Wilson

Post by OTrain Disene »

I have been putting off reading this book for a while now. But your review might just make me to give it a chance, and read it. Amazing stuff.
Vivian Writes
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivian-writes.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer

Post by Vivian Writes »

I have seen quite a few reviews on this book. But I am still unsure about reading it. You have only pointed out the excessive use of profanity. But others have pointed out the unrealistic relationship between Cynthia and Sky. If anything, I would like to read this book just to find out for myself.
DyanaFl
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 70
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dyanafl.html
Latest Review: Like Glass by Sylvia Wilde

Post by DyanaFl »

The relationship and ensuing romance aspect of this book seems interesting enough. Although I think I will pass on this one. Thanks for the review!
Jane Ogwang
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 132
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jane-ogwang.html
Latest Review: Dr. Marsha and the Case of the Missing Marshmallows and Hotdogs by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Post by Jane Ogwang »

Mercer did a great job with the creativity in this book. I'm glad you enjoyed reading it. Thanks for the well-written review.
Hannah Mae Fabro
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hannah-mae-fabro.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer

Post by Hannah Mae Fabro »

Books that are filled with profanity always disappoint me. I mean it's their preference so I can't change anything but how I wish that they lessen it. Anyways this book might not be for me. Thank you for your wonderful review.
Oluchii
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ne-thewriter.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Oluchii »

Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer is really a good mix of action and romance. It was really enlightening to learn about how modern terrorism operates. Great review.
lawisimportant23
Currently Reading:

OTrain M wrote: 20 Sep 2022, 16:17 I have been putting off reading this book for a while now. But your review might just make me to give it a chance, and read it. Amazing stuff.
Thank you for your kind comments.
lawisimportant23
Currently Reading:

Vivian Adaugo wrote: 20 Sep 2022, 17:46 I have seen quite a few reviews on this book. But I am still unsure about reading it. You have only pointed out the excessive use of profanity. But others have pointed out the unrealistic relationship between Cynthia and Sky. If anything, I would like to read this book just to find out for myself.
I agree. Their relationship can at times leave more questions than answers. I would still recommend you read it.
lawisimportant23
Currently Reading:

DyanaFl wrote: 21 Sep 2022, 10:04 The relationship and ensuing romance aspect of this book seems interesting enough. Although I think I will pass on this one. Thanks for the review!
I still wish you could give it a try.
lawisimportant23
Currently Reading:

Jane Omollo wrote: 23 Sep 2022, 03:19 Mercer did a great job with the creativity in this book. I'm glad you enjoyed reading it. Thanks for the well-written review.
She is a truly wonderful author.
lawisimportant23
Currently Reading:

Hannah Mae Fabro wrote: 23 Sep 2022, 07:13 Books that are filled with profanity always disappoint me. I mean it's their preference so I can't change anything but how I wish that they lessen it. Anyways this book might not be for me. Thank you for your wonderful review.
I guess it depends on one's taste. Thank you for your thoughts.
lawisimportant23
Currently Reading:

NE_thewriter wrote: 27 Sep 2022, 01:02 Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer is really a good mix of action and romance. It was really enlightening to learn about how modern terrorism operates. Great review.
I agree. Thanks for your thoughts.
Michael Adam Glidden Forteski
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Parable of the Sower
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michael-adam-glidden-forteski.html
Latest Review: Mindful Screen Time by John and Kimberley Woods

Post by Michael Adam Glidden Forteski »

I am not convinced that this book was professionally edited, given that there were a number of agreement and poor word choice errors.

Moreover, the characters were flat and lacked any real defining characteristics. And I found that Mercer did very little research to support her notion of how geopolitics, Cyber warfare and terrorism work.

Worst of all, Cynthia's privacy is constantly abused by her love interests. I found Dan and Sky to be equally toxic masculine characters.
Ndagire Hassifah1
Favorite Book: Hemingway’s daughter
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ndagire-hassifah1.html
Latest Review: Endgame by William Reed

Post by Ndagire Hassifah1 »

I'm currently reading this book. But what I find more interesting is Cynthia's behaviour. Even though she holds such a great position, the author also show us her naive nature towards love. Great review, I enjoyed reading it.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”