Review of Resonant

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Famzi Ken
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-famzi-ken.html
Latest Review: My Pound of Flesh by William Thielman

Review of Resonant

Post by Famzi Ken »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Resonant" by Robert Leet.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I didn't see what resonance had to do with whales until I read the book, Resonant, written by Robert Leet. There is a picture of a whale on the cover page, but I still didn't make the connection until I opened the book and started reading it. By the time I was done, everything made more sense. Though we saw things mostly from Joseph Tenant's point of view, we still got input from a lot of different individuals, ranging from physicists to biologists and even musicians.

Joe and his team were deep in research about whales. They discovered how these whales communicated, but they didn't know how they counted. If they didn't count, how did they know where they were, how far or deep they should dive, and how fast they could swim? They also stayed in the deepest part of the ocean, where it was very dark. They wondered this, but would they get to find answers? The whales also seemed to have a special way of communicating. Do they have a language? Would Joe and other researchers discover this language?

A lot of things come into play in this book. There were humorous adventures. The US Navy tried to sabotage Joe and his team's research. There was enough suspense in the book, so I was hooked from the first page to the end. I just had to know what discoveries were going to be made and what it would take to make those discoveries. The few times I took a break to give attention to other things, I couldn't wait to get back to my reading.

There were some things I disliked about this book. Some of the scientific explanations in the book were difficult for me to understand. I had to skip them. I also did not appreciate how the book ended. It left me unsatisfied. Aside from these, the apt description given by the author made the people and places mentioned feel real to me. I felt as if I was meeting those people and going to those places in real life. I'm sure a lot of people would appreciate this as much as I did. The bit of romance between Joe and Marylin was a good addition. It made things a little less tense.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. I found no errors. It was exceptionally well-edited. I removed a star because of the confusing scientific explanations in it. A layman would be lost and might be discouraged from continuing to read it. Some readers might not like the way the book climaxed. However, it is indeed a beautifully written piece. I recommend this book to students studying the sciences. I believe there's a lot they can learn from it. I also recommend it to those who like to read about animal research, adventures, and sci-fi books.

Resonant
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
lilianchikasi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lilianchikasi.html
Latest Review: From A Whore to a Whousewife by Felicia Cobbs

Post by lilianchikasi »

I think looking at this book I'd be more invested in the romance part. It is interesting to see a book about whales and also interesting to know how they communicate. I would love to try out this book but as you said, I hope it'll be understandable.
Larabs Josh
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anu-michael.html
Latest Review: The Aglaril Cycle by Rich Feitelberg

Post by Larabs Josh »

I read Timewise by Robert Leet and I really enjoyed reading the book. Robert is a good writer and I guess I might check out this work of his too.
Nino Chinonso Onwurah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nino-chinonso-onwurah.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C

Post by Nino Chinonso Onwurah »

Your description of the book also got me thinking about the intelligence of whales. It would be interesting to discover what the book has to say. The author seems knowledgeable on the subject.
Christabel Egbeama
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christabel-egbeama.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet
Reading Device: B09KBSDRDG

Post by Christabel Egbeama »

From the look of the book cover I can tell the book is going to be fascinating. I didn't think it will be suspense-filled until I read the review. I guess that's a bonus. I'm looking forward to reading this book. Thanks for the review.
Judy O
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-judy-o.html
Latest Review: Granite Kingdom by Eric Pope

Post by Judy O »

This book is certainly a must-read for me not only because of the attraction I have for whales but because it sounds intruguing as well. I would like to discover what Joseph and his team got from studying the whales. Nicely written.
Adrian Rondon Salazar
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adrian-rondon-salazar.html
Latest Review: Love and Marriage by Arthur Hartz

Post by Adrian Rondon Salazar »

I love the cover; whales are one of my favorite animals. Maybe I'll read it too and skip the parts I don't understand. I loved the review; it was excellent.
Elendu Clement Ekechukwu
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elendu-clement-ekechukwu.html
Latest Review: Shot Down by Steve Snyder

Post by Elendu Clement Ekechukwu »

I like how you began the review by clearing my doubts about the cover. I was sceptical about reading this before now. However, your review has made wanting to know what happened to Joe and his team.
Not available anymore
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-covenant-morolayo-olusegun.html
Latest Review: Stones by James C. Hendee

Post by Not available anymore »

I personally feel book covers should match with the book's content, moreover book covers should be attractive as well. From your review I can tell this book is about whales and I'll love to know more about whales
Hyfr Zack
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hyfr-zack.html
Latest Review: Waterworks by Jack Winnick

Post by Hyfr Zack »

A book about communication between humans and whales. I'm looking forward to reading about this book's humorous adventures. Thank you for your review.
Gavice Victoria
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gavice-v.html
Latest Review: Where Liberty Lies by Nathaniel M Wrey

Post by Gavice Victoria »

What a great and detailed review! Your summary is detailed and did justice to the book. I really enjoyed reading it. Thank you for sharing this honest review after reading the book. Also, congratulations on having your review published.
ometanoghenetejiri
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ometanoghenetejiri.html
Latest Review: JTs World by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by ometanoghenetejiri »

It's rare to find books that talks about whales in this manner. I will like to get a copy of this book to read irrespective of the complex scientific explanation found in it. The cover page of this book is quite catchy. Nice review you've got here.
Francis Omotayo Aderogbin
Currently Reading: The Great Migration
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-francis-omotayo-aderogbin.html
Latest Review: Escape from Tuoyawon by R. Murrey Haist

Post by Francis Omotayo Aderogbin »

This would be a good book for me to read. There is a lot of new things to learn from it. I know a little about whales but not about how resonance relate to them.
You are yet to be the best version of yourself. Keep refining.
Harry Torsney
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harry-torsney.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Harry Torsney »

A book about whales sounds fascinating to read. I once saw a documentary that claimed they were the oldest animals to have lived after dinosaurs. Now that I've read your summary, I really want to read this book. Congratulations on an excellent review. Keep up the good work.
Edith Njomo
Currently Reading: Kiss of Revenge
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-edith-njomo.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Edith Njomo »

I amazed by the adventurers activities done by Joe and his team to understand whales communication. The review has inspired me to read this book thanks alot.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”