Review of Bonnie’s Adventures in a Storybook World

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
E Daves
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-e-daves.html
Latest Review: Zero the Hero! by Paul Gurgol

Review of Bonnie’s Adventures in a Storybook World

Post by E Daves »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Bonnie’s Adventures in a Storybook World" by Kristie Schubert.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Bonnie's Adventures in a Storybook World by Kristie Schubert is an 85-page children's book made up of thirty-two chapters. It focuses on the adventures of thirteen-year-old Bonnie in fantasy worlds.

Bonnie is the only child of Mr. and Mrs. Steel, and she just started her eighth grade at a new school, Marville Middle School. As a child new to being a teenager, she is sometimes defiant and doesn't follow instructions. She does, however, like reading. Her love for storybooks will be what turns her life into an adventure and teaches her the critical lessons she needs. In the storybook world, Bonnie goes to make things right for the characters in that story. This travel to storybook worlds happens when she does something wrong and should learn a lesson from what she has done. This book felt like a collection of stories, with Boonie and her family linking them together. First, there's a story about Swan Lake, then Sugartowne, and then Looking Glass World.

There are some things I liked about Bonnie's Adventures in a Storybook World. I like the character of Bonnie's friend, Paula. She's talkative and free-spirited. I also like how Bonnie keeps a journal. Her entries are sincere and therapeutic. As a journal keeper myself, I know how good I feel after making an entry in my journal. Furthermore, when it came to one of the storybook worlds called Sugartowne, the author, Kristie Schubert, was magnificent in describing the town, the food, and the characters.

I found many things to dislike in Bonnie's Adventures in a Storybook World. The beginning of this book has so many problems, which shouldn't be the case. I almost gave up on it because of the many things I noticed. Apart from the errors I encountered initially, the author kept using "Bonnie said," "Dad said," "Dad this," and "Bonnie that." She kept repeating the nouns instead of using the pronouns. There are places where the pronouns become appropriate and should be used. This book has a good storyline but a shallow plot and very poor character development. Odette was a princess, and Siegfried was a prince in the same kingdom. But they are not siblings. Does it mean the kingdom has two kings? Or were they from different kingdoms? This was not addressed nor clarified in the story. The story just went along without any character development. Also, Odette meets Prince Siegfried at the lake. According to the narrative, they talked through the night by the lake. My question is, how could they talk through the night sitting by the lake? These were supposedly thirteen and fourteen-year-olds. Plus, a fourteen-year-old boy was being pestered by his mother to seek a wife. It was just a shallow plotted narrative. Another notable thing I did not like in this book is that Bonnie, the main character, often lies in the story. We know that children and teenagers tend to imitate their favorite characters. They always want to be like a book's main or favorite characters. I think the lying attitude of Bonnie will be a bad influence on children who read this book. If it had been addressed in the book that lying was wrong, it would have been okay. I rate this book 2 out of 4 stars for all the above reasons. I also encountered errors in the form of misspelled words, missing words, and punctuation errors while reading this book. It means the book was not well edited.

I found minor sexual content in the form of kissing in this book. There were also higher concepts in the book, such as when the author talked about Bonnie's research on wormholes and time travel. Because children and preteens may not grasp these concepts, I recommend this book to teenagers. Older readers might not like it so much because of its shallow plot.

Bonnie’s Adventures in a Storybook World
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
third agbata
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-third-agbata.html
Latest Review: The Ant Called Tiny by Miles Phillip Lewis

Post by third agbata »

Although I've not read this book. Your review is fascinating and amazing. I think this will be a great read for me
Fams Pee
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fams-pee.html
Latest Review: Karmic Selling by Stan Gwizdak

Post by Fams Pee »

The storyline started well until I start seeing the fault and errors in it. I don't think I can recommend the book to kids too because of some complex concepts discussed in it. Thanks for the honest review; seems I'll just pass on this book.
Christabel Egbeama
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christabel-egbeama.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet
Reading Device: B09KBSDRDG

Post by Christabel Egbeama »

I don't find the storyline of this book fascinating. The dislike outweighs the like which is quite disturbing for people who are yet to read this book. I'll pass on this one. Thanks for being honest.
Bef Ozo
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 72
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bef-ozo.html
Latest Review: Ditching Success? by Batoul I. Ajlouni

Post by Bef Ozo »

The dislikes of this book heavily outweighs the likes and it is already discouraging to read. However, I will still check it out and try to see if there's another angle to look at it. Nice review!
Ronky279
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ronky279.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Ronky279 »

Amazing review. I like your reviews. The storyline is interesting. I like how honest and detailed they are. Congrats on your published review.
Gavice Victoria
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gavice-v.html
Latest Review: Where Liberty Lies by Nathaniel M Wrey

Post by Gavice Victoria »

Your review of this book is very detailed. I like that you took your time to share everything you liked and disliked about this book. I love the storyline and I think I will love reading the book. Irrespective of all you disliked about the book, I am willing to give it a trial. Nice review!
Francis Omotayo Aderogbin
Currently Reading: The Great Migration
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-francis-omotayo-aderogbin.html
Latest Review: Escape from Tuoyawon by R. Murrey Haist

Post by Francis Omotayo Aderogbin »

This book teaches children to be attentive and listen to instructions. I wish Bonnie learnt her lesson in her adventures.
You are yet to be the best version of yourself. Keep refining.
E Daves
Currently Reading:

Post by E Daves »

Christabel Egbeama wrote: 19 Sep 2022, 02:14 I don't find the storyline of this book fascinating. The dislike outweighs the like which is quite disturbing for people who are yet to read this book. I'll pass on this one. Thanks for being honest.
Thank you for stopping by and for leaving a comment. I strive to be honest in my reviews. I say whatever I noticed while reading the book. However, you should know that no two readers have the same experience while reading the same book. You should still give this book a chance. Who knows, you might love it.
E Daves
Currently Reading:

Post by E Daves »

Ronky279 wrote: 19 Sep 2022, 04:17 Amazing review. I like your reviews. The storyline is interesting. I like how honest and detailed they are. Congrats on your published review.
Thank you so much. I'm honored to know that you enjoy reading my reviews. Thank you fo r stopping by and for dropping a comment. I really appreciate.
E Daves
Currently Reading:

Post by E Daves »

Anselm Freeman wrote: 19 Sep 2022, 14:00 This book teaches children to be attentive and listen to instructions. I wish Bonnie learnt her lesson in her adventures.
Yes. The book does teach children to be attentive and listen to instructions. As to whether Bonnie learnt her lessons in the adventures, I guess you will have to read the book to find out :D
Mozi Ken
Currently Reading: Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mozi-ken.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Mozi Ken »

I'm completely turned off from reading this book. For all the things you noticed and the errors, I think it deserves a rating of 1 because children who are meant to read it won't benefit or learn much from it. Good review.
Gavice Victoria
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gavice-v.html
Latest Review: Where Liberty Lies by Nathaniel M Wrey

Post by Gavice Victoria »

Mozi Ken wrote: 26 Sep 2022, 08:36 I'm completely turned off from reading this book. For all the things you noticed and the errors, I think it deserves a rating of 1 because children who are meant to read it won't benefit or learn much from it. Good review.
I think it should be a lower rating too. There are so many dislikes that this reviewer noticed. I like reading children's books, but I'm skeptical about this one at the moment.
Victoria Ukamaka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victoria-ukamaka.html
Latest Review: Fireproof Happiness by Dr. Randy Ross

Post by Victoria Ukamaka »

I have carefully read this review and I couldn't agree less with you. If this book is meant for children, then the main character should not be found lying. What morals should kids learn from it? At least, they should know that lying is a bad thing to do.
Victoria Ukamaka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victoria-ukamaka.html
Latest Review: Fireproof Happiness by Dr. Randy Ross

Post by Victoria Ukamaka »

There were so many things you disliked about this book such as character development and plot. I think I will just pass the book by. I should also tell you that I like how detailed this review is. I really loved reading it. I look forward to reading more of your reviews.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”