Review of The Queen of Xana

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Donald Kelvin
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-judith-chinwe.html
Latest Review: High Wire by Kam Majd

Review of The Queen of Xana

Post by Donald Kelvin »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Queen of Xana" by Fred Pilcher.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Queen of Xana is a fictional tale written by Fred Pilcher. It has an allegorical theme that uses a simple story to single out the errors and issues in our society. Readers would witness the monarchy from the perspectives of two different rulers: Queen Julia and her daughter, Agatha, who would later become Queen. Agatha was the only child of Queen Julia and, therefore, heir apparent to Xana's throne. Having been blessed with kindness and compassion from her fairy godmother, her mother wasted no time ensuring that her daughter, Agatha, got the best of education and experience in order to instill wisdom on how to govern and be a good monarch. Using her gifts, Agatha was also loved by the villagers with whom she had dealings. She was always there to support them in any way that she could.

However, on her twentieth birthday, tragedy struck. A sorcerer, Magi, known for his philandering, stealing, and ability to cast dark spells, appears in her kingdom. This sorcerer kills her mother, steals their riches, and plunges her people into dark times. It is up to Agatha to save the people of Xana. Will she make the right decision, or will they suffer forever? What kind of queen does Agatha become? I believe there's only one way to find out.

Reading about the Land of Xana and its monarchs was an enlightening read. At first, I thought I was reading a legend because the author introduced a narrator called The Traveller, who seemed to have an omnipresent view of all the events in the story. The plot was so realistic that I wondered if Truly Xana ever existed. I have to commend the author on his realistic writing style. As said, the book told its tale from a third-person narrative, centering mostly on Agatha and sometimes Prince Olaf. It was eye-opening to read about Xana's diverse cultures, simplistic nature, and unusual practices such as public nudity. The language used by the author was fair and simple; I'm sure readers would have no issues with comprehension.

The only thing I'd say I disliked about this story was the over-association of Agatha with the poor. I understand that the poor needed reassurance; however, I believe some rich people were good, and if only she had identified with some of them, she'd have discovered them. Rather, I feel she just favoured the poor more. Apart from that, I do not have other reservations about this story. Every other thing was in sync. This book also taught life lessons; we could learn from Agatha's love for her people and her obligation to do better for them.

I give The Queen of Xana a perfect rating of 4 out of 4, considering its theme, plot, and setting, which I found properly done. I spotted two errors while reading; however, I'm convinced this book was professionally edited. I recommend it to audiences interested in adventure, fantasy, mythical, and leadership tales. Audiences who like stories with strong female protagonists can also pick up this book.

The Queen of Xana
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Latest Review: High Wire by Kam Majd
Fams Pee
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fams-pee.html
Latest Review: Karmic Selling by Stan Gwizdak

Post by Fams Pee »

What a suspenseful storyline. I'd like to see how Agatha overpowered Magi. Nice review.
Oluchii
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ne-thewriter.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Oluchii »

The plot of this book is nice. From your review, I can see that Agatha would make a good queen. I hope she makes the right decisions. Great review.
Chimereucheya Okoroafo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chimereucheya-okoroafo.html
Latest Review: Life's ecstasy and eternal struggles by Sandra mayfield

Post by Chimereucheya Okoroafo »

Seems like a reflection of the real monarchy story in the today's world. It's beautiful to see am author so creative, especially when it comes to giving attachments to real world events. Nice review overall.
You have a life to live. If you ain't living it, that's failure. :tiphat:
Judy O
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-judy-o.html
Latest Review: Granite Kingdom by Eric Pope

Post by Judy O »

Your review of this book is quite thrilling. It promises suspense; I look forward to seeing how Agatha rules and how Magi is defeated. Nicely written.
Chiamaka Ogadimma
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chiamaka-ogadimma.html
Latest Review: JTs World by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Chiamaka Ogadimma »

I like the fact that she associated with the poor. It's a good thing to help the poor. Great review by the way. Well done.
Do more, talk less. Never get mad at another man's success.
Wash William
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wash-william.html
Latest Review: Devil Among Us by Jack Winnick

Post by Wash William »

I think Agatha being associated with the poor is nice because she would be able to listen to their needs. Thanks for the review it is so detailed.
Larabs Josh
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anu-michael.html
Latest Review: The Aglaril Cycle by Rich Feitelberg

Post by Larabs Josh »

I think this is a book that has a female as a lead character. I always love books with such. I love your writing style though and your review is excellent.
third agbata
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-third-agbata.html
Latest Review: The Ant Called Tiny by Miles Phillip Lewis

Post by third agbata »

This book is really fascinating and amazing. your review gave me more insight on the book's storyline. Thanks for the great review.
Gavice Victoria
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gavice-v.html
Latest Review: Where Liberty Lies by Nathaniel M Wrey

Post by Gavice Victoria »

This is the kind of book that will be perfect for a film adaptation. Reading this review, I was already captivated by the story. I would love to read this book soon. You wrote a great review by the way. I enjoyed reading it.
Bef Ozo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 72
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bef-ozo.html
Latest Review: Ditching Success? by Batoul I. Ajlouni

Post by Bef Ozo »

The author's writing style was unique. The narration was clear and painted a vivid of the storyline. I would love to see how Agatha used her powers. I enjoyed reading your review. Keep it up.
Azuka Jessica
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-azuka-jessica.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Azuka Jessica »

Agatha sounds like a lovely princess for having related well with the villagers. it is sad how a wicked person will come to take her joys away. I appreciate and admire Agatha for being brave enough to fight Magi and I would love to read how she will do that. Thanks for this review.
Nino Chinonso Onwurah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nino-chinonso-onwurah.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C

Post by Nino Chinonso Onwurah »

We've seen these kinds of stories all too commonly, yet, we cannot but be captivated every time we encounter them. I appreciate your ability to draw out the major intrigues embedded in the books you review.
ometanoghenetejiri
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ometanoghenetejiri.html
Latest Review: JTs World by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by ometanoghenetejiri »

I am not a great fan of fantasy and mythical novels. However, this review of this book gave me a whole new look to this book. I would love to see the kind of queen Agatha becomes despite her mother's untimely death.
Nice review, I must say.
Chukwuemeka Ezema
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chukwuemeka-ezema.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Chukwuemeka Ezema »

Agatha's life just have turned upside down when the Wizard came to her kingdom and committed all those atrocities. I hope she was able to overcome them. Great review.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”