Review of Zona: The Forbidden Land

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Micah_1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-micah-1.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Review of Zona: The Forbidden Land

Post by Micah_1 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Zona: The Forbidden Land" by Fred G. Baker.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker, is a book about the adventure of a group of people to the land of Zona. Randall is a researcher and likes to travel to different places on expeditions to find some treasure. But then, something happens. Randall and some men go on an expedition to the land of Zona, and they never return. Dr. Taylor, Randall's nephew, returns to meet an empty apartment that has been willed to him by his uncle Randall. He begins to look into what happened and if Randall is truly dead. He meets Boris, Randall's lawyer, and friend. Boris sends his niece Irina to handle the case. Taylor's suspicion begins to rise when he meets with Godunov, who tells him that there is more to what people say happened to his uncle. Godunov feeds him with some information that only leaves him curious and promises to return. Taylor also gets more suspicious of Boris when he receives a letter from the bank, written by his uncle, advising him not to trust anyone. Not even Boris or Irina. On the night when he finally meets Godunov again, Godunov gives him a file with some information. That same night, he was shot dead. Boris senses that Taylor must have gotten more information about his uncle's adventure. He calls a meeting and invites one of the survivors from the land of Zona. Together, they plan another adventure in the land of Zona, with Taylor and Irina included. Will they be able to come back alive? Will they find Randall? Is Randall still alive? Kill your curiosity by getting a copy of this book.

There are so many things I found interesting in this book. The narrative technique used is awesome; the author brought everything to life, which got me glued to the book till I was done. The language used is a simple one too, even to the understanding of a layman. I couldn't ask for a simpler one. I also loved that since the book is quite long, there were not too many names in the novel. The names are not numerous and they are specified, thus making the book an easy-to-understand one. I will also commend the book for being exceptionally well edited because I didn't come across any grammatical or typographical errors. I won't fail to tell you that the part where Godunov was shot dead brought tears to my eyes. Also, the part where they were attacked by huge animals got me scared too. There is suspense in the book. I feel like there is.

In the end, I only have one aspect of dissatisfaction with the book. I feel like this book is way too long. I think some things can be cut out of the book without having much effect on the book. But this is purely personal. Apart from the aforementioned, I enjoyed this book and have no problem with it.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars because, as stated before, there is no grammatical error or typo, and my little dissatisfaction won't prevent me from giving it a full rating. I admire the author's ability to convey its message to the reader.

Finally, I recommend this book to lovers of adventure and spending. This book is also full of suspense, so I recommend it to people who enjoy suspense in books. Apart from those, any young adult can find the book interesting too.

Zona: The Forbidden Land
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Hannah Mae Fabro
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hannah-mae-fabro.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer

Post by Hannah Mae Fabro »

The plotline of this book sounds amazing. What's in the land of Zona that refrain Randall from going back? I can't find out by reading this book. Thank you for your informative review.
Edit_or
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-edit-or.html
Latest Review: Always Strive to Be a Better You by Pete Hall

Post by Edit_or »

Not my favorite kind of book but I must commend the review. Thank you.
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Time Before Time
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Zona II by Fred G. Baker
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I read this book earlier and I really liked it. I learned a little about Russia, too. The only problem I had was with the excessive number of sexual situations involved.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”