Review of Cynthia and Dan

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Abu_Aisha1
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Fireproof Happiness
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abu-aisha1.html
Latest Review: ChatGPT for Entrepreneurs by Steven A. Ridder

Review of Cynthia and Dan

Post by Abu_Aisha1 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Cynthia and Dan" by Dorothy May Mercer.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In Cynthia and Dan, the award-winning author of many books, Dorothy May Mercer, tells the story of Cynthia Patterson, a chief investigator and personal bodyguard to Senator Mike McBride but poses as his receptionist.

One morning, Cynthia was driving to work; the report that a drone had landed on the White House Lawn caused a traffic jam. Cynthia was whisked away from the scene by an unknown man whom she later found to be Sky Eastman. It was a long day with a series of events for Cynthia.

After the incident, Cynthia approached her brother, Glenn Patterson, the owner of a private investigation firm, Fairfax Private Investigator, to wage a cyber-war against ISIS and its networks, Iran, North Korea, and other enemies of America. To achieve this goal, they hired two computer geeks, Tim Dupre and his friend, Garth Tatum, to help them alter the terrorist emails, messages, and propaganda websites. Did Cynthia and her team of ‘Compu-Nerd’ succeed in their quest to decimate the enemies of America? The answer is in the book Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer.

There are many positive aspects of this book that is worth mentioning. First amongst them is the character description. I need to say that the author did an excellent job in this regard. Similarly, I found with much astonishment how the author manages to play out the suspense in this book that I often said to myself: Dorothy, let the cat out!

More so, each chapter of this book starts with a short caption that prepares readers for the experience ahead. The author also shared vital tips on how hackers could bug gadgets and eavesdrop. I found these precautionary tips very useful and educational.

My only dislike about this romantic novel is some of the loose ends I found while reading the book. For instance, the author said nothing about Larry, one of the three terrorists who plotted to kill President Gerard Bigelow and his wife, Janette, on their arrival at the White House after he successfully escaped the scene of the busted operation. Interestingly, the author admitted it was intentional in the epilogue of this book and that she may likely feature them as a plot in her subsequent publication.

I happily rate the book Cynthia and Dan four out of four stars for its captivating storyline, excellent character descriptions, and incredible suspense. Also, I found no significant typos throughout my reading experience and recommend this book to readers who love suspenseful thriller books with a blend of romance.

Cynthia and Dan
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Benedicta1970
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-benedicta1970.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Benedicta1970 »

This book sound like an interesting sci-fi book with a blend of romance that will keep readers glue to the book. I wish Cynthia and her team of geeks win the war against terrorism. Great review!
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Time Before Time by Dan DuBose
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I was really delighted by this book. However, when I hear the name Garth, I am always reminded of Dana Carvey’s character in movie “Wayne’s World” with Mike Meyers. That made it difficult for me to take this novel seriously.
Abu_Aisha1

Post by Abu_Aisha1 »

Amy Luman wrote: 25 Sep 2022, 19:59 I was really delighted by this book. However, when I hear the name Garth, I am always reminded of Dana Carvey’s character in movie “Wayne’s World” with Mike Meyers. That made it difficult for me to take this novel seriously.
Thank you for stopping by. I'm grateful!
DyanaFl
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 70
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dyanafl.html
Latest Review: Like Glass by Sylvia Wilde

Post by DyanaFl »

I like cyber crime related works. I'm glad that the author did a good job with character description. I would like to give this one a go. Thanks for the great review!
Dauria04
Favorite Book: Daisy Jones and the Six
Currently Reading: The Mark of Athena
Bookshelf Size: 194
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dauria04.html
Latest Review: Musings of an Autistic Mind by Darryl Jefferson
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Dauria04 »

I agree with you regarding the author did a great job describing the characters. Great review.
"I had no interest in being somebody else's muse.
I am not a muse.
I am the somebody."

-Daisy Jones & The Six, Taylor Jenkins Reid.
Oluchii
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ne-thewriter.html

Post by Oluchii »

This book is a great mix of romance and action. I agree with you though, the author left a lot of loose ends which I didn't like. Great review.
Natalie Sheph
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-natalie-sheph.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson

Post by Natalie Sheph »

I am intrigued, although I admit the storyline sounds dull. It's interesting what the arc of the characters is like. Thank you for your honest and nice review.
MsH2k
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

It's been a while since I've read this book, and I can't say that I remember Larry, but I do remember the mysterious Sky Eastman. Thank you for your thorough review.
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
Abu_Aisha1

Post by Abu_Aisha1 »

MsH2k wrote: 27 Sep 2022, 21:15 It's been a while since I've read this book, and I can't say that I remember Larry, but I do remember the mysterious Sky Eastman. Thank you for your thorough review.
Larry is the third guy that escaped from the scene of the busted plot to assassinate the American president and his wife. Thanks for stopping by.
Shillah Andeso
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shillah-andeso.html
Latest Review: On the wings of a prayer by Kola Kupoluyi

Post by Shillah Andeso »

I found this book interesting and the characters were also well developed. I like your review. You've well highlighted the positive aspects.
Nweze Raalchukwu1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nweze-raalchukwu1.html
Latest Review: JTs World by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Nweze Raalchukwu1 »

I find it odd that the book is named after two characters but focuses only on a single one. Good review though.
Benedicta1970
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-benedicta1970.html

Post by Benedicta1970 »

I enjoyed reading your review and I must also admit that it is a detailed review that covers the themes of the book. Well done for such an interesting review.
Adeleye Seun
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adeleye-seun.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson

Post by Adeleye Seun »

I read most of the book because of the intriguing ideas it presented. Cynthia's love triangle makes use of the love theme as a metaphor. This novel fascinated me, and I truly liked it. The short novel will captivate readers and leave them wanting more. good review
Kelvin Modilim
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelvin-modilim.html
Latest Review: Sound of Redemption by William John Rostron

Post by Kelvin Modilim »

The book effectively highlights the need for public awareness and education on cyber threats, emphasizing the role of individuals and communities in creating a safer digital environment.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”