Review of The Magician's Secret

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Donald Kelvin
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-judith-chinwe.html
Latest Review: High Wire by Kam Majd

Review of The Magician's Secret

Post by Donald Kelvin »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Magician's Secret" by Charles Townsend.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

If you are a fan of books on adventure, fantasy, castles and dungeons, and most importantly, magic, I come bearing good news, as you will enjoy reading this book. The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend is not your ordinary magic tale; I can boldly say that it takes a more realistic approach to magic. 

Borlock, the magician, is found dead in the early pages of this book. Delvin, his apprentice, has been accused of the crime because he was at the crime scene with no memory of his actions at that time. The village elders convene and decide to sentence Delvin to death; however, at the last minute, Borlock vindicates Delvin. Before Borlock dies, he wills everything he has to his apprentice and gives him a stone, the purpose of which Delvin does not understand until later. After the incident, the young apprentice decides to move to Hengel to begin his career in tricks and magic. However, as time goes on, Delvin experiences a lot of unexplainable occurrences, which would leave him wondering if magic is truly real. He would also find himself on a journey with Princess Jarla. Together, the two would try their luck to stop the senseless war ravaging Hengel and Argent. 

I noticed numerous positive things about this book, but I'll list a few. First was the realistic way in which magic was portrayed in this story. Typically, magic-themed fictional tales usually contain cringy plots and unrealistic settings. However, the magic here was made simple, and, in some cases, explanations were offered. I'd have to commend the author's knowledge of the art. The next thing I liked was the meticulous way the author, Townsend, started the story. To avoid confusion for the readers due to the story's all-out descriptions, he included maps of the cities and even the castle; I truly enjoyed and appreciated that. This story's plot was a simple one, no doubt capable of holding any reader's interest. I had a great time reading it. 

The only negative thing I noticed was that some scenes didn't add up; for instance, Princess Fionella, who was initially kicking against her kidnap, assisted them in the end. I found that a bit confusing, but I would look over it since it was just that scene. The plot, language, setting, and action flowed; each led to the other, and no one was out of proportion. The characters were also lovely and fascinating to read about. 

The Magician's Secret, by Charles Townsend, receives a perfect rating of 4 out of 4 from me. It receives this rating because of its simple yet engaging plot and thrilling action. Although I spotted two errors while reading this book, it does not take away from the fact that it was professionally edited. As I mentioned earlier, audiences interested in tales of adventure, fantasy, magic, castles, and fiction would enjoy reading this.

The Magician's Secret
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Latest Review: High Wire by Kam Majd
Famzi Ken
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-famzi-ken.html
Latest Review: My Pound of Flesh by William Thielman

Post by Famzi Ken »

What Delvin passed through in this book was heart-touching. I liked the adventures and the use of magic in this book. It made my reading enjoyable. Great review
Chrity Edwin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chrity-edwin.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Chrity Edwin »

Not a fan of fantasy but I love adventure stories. I love how well your review is well detailed. I'm definitely going to rend this book someday. Kudose.
Chimereucheya Okoroafo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chimereucheya-okoroafo.html
Latest Review: Life's ecstasy and eternal struggles by Sandra mayfield

Post by Chimereucheya Okoroafo »

I noticed this book a while ago and I've been wanting to read it. Now, I've read your review and I'm sure about getting it soon for the magic and thrill. Your description of the book is encouraging and appreciated. Nice review.
You have a life to live. If you ain't living it, that's failure. :tiphat:
Oluchii
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ne-thewriter.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Oluchii »

Being accused of the death of Borlock must have been hard on Delvin, I hope him and the princess were able to put a stop to the war. Great review.
Success Azuka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-success-azuka.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Success Azuka »

I love the free spirit when reading. This review sounds interesting. The author did a nice job in presenting the book to be interesting and easy to understand. Thanks for a wonderful and intriguing review. Looking forward to reading this book.
Fams Pee
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fams-pee.html
Latest Review: Karmic Selling by Stan Gwizdak

Post by Fams Pee »

I have read this book too and I really enjoyed it but I think Borlock deserves more accolades in the story. His contribution to preventing the war was great.
Christabel Egbeama
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christabel-egbeama.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet
Reading Device: B09KBSDRDG

Post by Christabel Egbeama »

One of my fears is being accused of what I didn't do. So I can't even imagine how Delvin would feel about his situation. I'm looking forward to exploring the new normal with Delvin. Thanks for the review.
Gavice Victoria
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gavice-v.html
Latest Review: Where Liberty Lies by Nathaniel M Wrey

Post by Gavice Victoria »

I'm impressed by how well you have reviewed this book. You summarized the book so well and in detail, still making sure you didn't give out spoilers. I enjoyed reading this review. Thank you for being honest.
Elendu Clement Ekechukwu
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elendu-clement-ekechukwu.html
Latest Review: Shot Down by Steve Snyder

Post by Elendu Clement Ekechukwu »

Devin must have been through a lot. Imagine being accused of a crime you know nothing about. I have read this book and I liked every bit of it.
Larabs Josh
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anu-michael.html
Latest Review: The Aglaril Cycle by Rich Feitelberg

Post by Larabs Josh »

Magic and witchcraft in fiction are something I enjoy reading about. Unfortunately, you have such a dislike for such a book.
Hyfr Zack
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hyfr-zack.html
Latest Review: Waterworks by Jack Winnick

Post by Hyfr Zack »

I'm always interested in reading books that have magical fantasies in them. I want to read this book so that I can keep track of Delvin's relationship with the princess.
Bef Ozo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 72
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bef-ozo.html
Latest Review: Ditching Success? by Batoul I. Ajlouni

Post by Bef Ozo »

Delvin's story was overwhelming and touching. The adventures and the magical moments were lovely. I truly enjoyed reading this review and I look forward to reading this book in the future.
Chukwuemeka Ezema
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chukwuemeka-ezema.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Chukwuemeka Ezema »

Delvin must have gone through a lot. I would like to read about his adventures and how he and the Princess stopped the war. Great review.
Judy O
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-judy-o.html
Latest Review: Granite Kingdom by Eric Pope

Post by Judy O »

I have read this book as well. It was interesting to read about the stunt that Delvin pulled at his execution. This happened to buy him time. His adventures at Hengel is also worth the read. I look forward to the book's sequel.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”