Review of Devil Among Us

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mozi Ken
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mozi-ken.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Review of Devil Among Us

Post by Mozi Ken »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Devil Among Us" by Jack Winnick.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Reading books like Devil Among Us by Jack Winnick helps you realize that you are not the only one in the world. It makes you think and feel for those other places that face worse problems than yours. It helps you to think of those people who are more skilled and have greater responsibilities than you. There's certainly a lot to gain from this book.

There was a suicide bombing at the Synagogue of the Jews, which killed and gave life-threatening injuries to so many. But looking at the Jewish customs and traditions, it's hard to think of why any of them should have a reason to kill their people. After thorough investigations, they realized that the suicide bombers might not be Jewish. But who were they? Why were they masquerading as Jews? Soon, the Joint Terrorism Task Force (JTTF) realized that they couldn't handle this alone. So they enlisted the help of Uri and Lara to go to the field to try to figure out this problem and also try to stop it before it escalates.

The characters in this book were interesting. Lara was a strong, well-skilled, underestimated lady. This was a good attribute out there in the field. I liked the way she managed her emotions for Uri and didn't let them affect their work together. On the other hand, Uri was a gentleman. He was passionate and very good at his work. He was also very diligent. Lara and Uri were a very good combination in this book. It was nice to read romance from a male writer's imagination. It felt different but mature and interesting. I learned a lot from this book about the Arabs and the Jews.

Unfortunately, there were things I disliked. The author used several foreign words in it, which I didn't know or understand. There also wasn't any glossary to explain them. There were quite a lot of characters to keep track of. I found this challenging because there were many characters, and they had foreign names. There was a religion that was not portrayed in a good light in this book. The plotline gave the idea that the people of that religion were dangerous and unkind.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. I found no errors. It was exceptionally well-edited. But I removed a star because of the negative things about it. The foreign words in it might affect its enjoyment by readers. Some readers might find themselves confused by the characters in it because of their numbers and names. Since the author didn't write anything good about the religion, I mentioned above, it would reduce the number of people that would be interested in reading it. Except for these, I enjoyed the amount of suspense, action, and mystery in the book. I recommend it to those who enjoy reading political thrillers, adventure, suspense, and mystery books.

Devil Among Us
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
third agbata
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-third-agbata.html
Latest Review: The Ant Called Tiny by Miles Phillip Lewis

Post by third agbata »

This book is really fascinating with lots of humor. Your review gave me more insight on the book's storyline. Thanks for the great review
Wash William
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wash-william.html
Latest Review: Devil Among Us by Jack Winnick

Post by Wash William »

I keep wondering if Lara and Uri could put and end to every form of terrorism. Well let's see how it goes this book comes with alot of twist and suspense that will awe readers. Thanks for the review.
Oluchii
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ne-thewriter.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Oluchii »

Such a great review, I would like to know why the suicide bombers were masquerading as Jews and their ulterior motives. Thanks for the review.
Judy O
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-judy-o.html
Latest Review: Granite Kingdom by Eric Pope

Post by Judy O »

One thing I liked in this book was how Lara and Uri were able to control their emotions and put service to their country first. Nicely written.
Christabel Egbeama
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christabel-egbeama.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet
Reading Device: B09KBSDRDG

Post by Christabel Egbeama »

Whenever I hear of a suicide bombing, I always think about what lead to the finalization of deciding to bomb an entire place. Always would there be a petty and selfish reason behind it. I hope Lara and Uri caught the perpetrators. Amazing review,!
Nino Chinonso Onwurah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nino-chinonso-onwurah.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C

Post by Nino Chinonso Onwurah »

This book seems to be full of thrills, twists, turns, and suspense. I'd love to drown in the captivity of such a thriller. Too bad no glossary was provided for the foreign words. Beautiful review.
Fams Pee
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fams-pee.html
Latest Review: Karmic Selling by Stan Gwizdak

Post by Fams Pee »

I like action-packed novels but I'm mostly impressed by the first paragraph of this review. Whatever doesn't kill someone makes one stronger. There are always people facing more difficult situations than us; we just have to be grateful. Nice review.
Gavice Victoria
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gavice-v.html
Latest Review: Where Liberty Lies by Nathaniel M Wrey

Post by Gavice Victoria »

What a great and detailed review! Your summary is detailed and did justice to the book. I really enjoyed reading it. Thank you for sharing this honest review after reading the book. Also, congratulations on having your review published.
Amarachi Nwankwo03
Currently Reading: Summer Showers
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amarachinwankwo.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Amarachi Nwankwo03 »

Lara and Uri are my favorite duo. I like action packed stories and this fits the description. I wonder what adventures these two undergo in their ploy to uncover the truth. Thank you for your review.
DyanaFl
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 70
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dyanafl.html
Latest Review: Like Glass by Sylvia Wilde

Post by DyanaFl »

It sounds promising. I just wish the author hadn't written in a negative light about the religion. Although I still might like to give it a try. Thanks for the great review!
Mmeso Goodness
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmeso-goodness.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Mmeso Goodness »

I like the characteristization of this book. The elements of suspense employed by the author is very commendable.
Your review was insightful too.
Kudos!
ometanoghenetejiri
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ometanoghenetejiri.html
Latest Review: JTs World by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by ometanoghenetejiri »

Your review is quite captivating and detailed. The aspect of the suicide bombers catch my attention. However, I would pass on this one. I do not fancy books with confusing characters. Thank you.
Ailakhu Yusau Aizhebiomon
Currently Reading: Purges of the Soul
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ailakhu-yusau-aizhebiomon.html
Latest Review: Advanced Lotto Rotation System by Joseph Z Vlasic

Post by Ailakhu Yusau Aizhebiomon »

I haven't read this book but the number of times it had popped up as the BOTD and your review tells a lot about the interesting storyline and the amazing plot in it. I can't wait to poke my nose in it. Well done for a great review.
Francis Omotayo Aderogbin
Currently Reading: The Great Migration
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-francis-omotayo-aderogbin.html
Latest Review: Escape from Tuoyawon by R. Murrey Haist

Post by Francis Omotayo Aderogbin »

Your review made me to want to read this book soonest. It's so captivating and entertaining. I hope Lara and Uri solve the mystery this time around.
You are yet to be the best version of yourself. Keep refining.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”