Review of Bluewater Walkabout

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Chimereucheya Okoroafo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chimereucheya-okoroafo.html
Latest Review: Life's ecstasy and eternal struggles by Sandra mayfield

Review of Bluewater Walkabout

Post by Chimereucheya Okoroafo »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Bluewater Walkabout" by Tina Dreffin.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In life, we all have our bad days and even worse days but what matters most is how we get back up. Bluewater Walkabout is a memoir by Tina Dreffin, which includes some of the worst experiences she witnessed. This book begins with Tina, her husband (Peter), and her sons (Adam and Warren). The family is preparing to visit Johannesburg, South Africa. In this time, Tina tells us about her family and their attachment to living at sea around boats.

Later, they leave for their flight from Atlanta to Johannesburg. Tina begins her story of the past, taking us back to her youth when she worked in an unfavorable environment. She also tells us of how she was molested and not for the first time. Tina gives us a glimpse of how she was discouraged before writing this book, stating the number of rape cases in the US. This book continues with more revelations of Tina’s life, from tragic events to happy ones (like when she Peter), as they advance through this journey in South Africa. What more does Tina have to share?

Bluewater Walkabout consists of 23 chapters and 250 pages. Each chapter begins with a peculiar image and a quote. The story is insightful, with a mix of emotions, exploring themes such as love, sadness, family, adventure, and therapy. Tina shows us how she grew from pain to knowing how to love Peter. The journey had a lot to reveal, and there are lessons to be taken away from Tina’s experiences. While reading this book, I felt for Tina as she narrated her past, and I was happy when she got what she deserved in a beautiful family. Bluewater Walkabout is professionally edited. There are no grammatical or punctuation errors.

With this book, I understood the author’s aim to speak up for the many girls who are raped or sexually assaulted daily and are afraid to speak. I loved how Tina Dreffin narrated the story of her life, putting every reader in her shoes as she experienced the horrors and goodness of life. This book also contains a few profanities and texts about sexual abuse.

I would like to rate this book, Bluewater Walkabout, four out of four stars. I found this book enlightening. It simply checked all the good boxes for me, from passage across an important message beautifully to being without error and easy to understand, so there was nothing I disliked. I recommend this book to individuals who may have experienced similar issues as the author and to therapists who may use this book as a tool to help their patients.

Bluewater Walkabout
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
You have a life to live. If you ain't living it, that's failure. :tiphat:
Hannah Mae Fabro
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hannah-mae-fabro.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer

Post by Hannah Mae Fabro »

I also read and sample this book, and I totally agree with your rating rating. This book is worth the read because it taught me a lot of life lessons. Thank you for your review.
Donald Kelvin
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-judith-chinwe.html
Latest Review: High Wire by Kam Majd

Post by Donald Kelvin »

I'm currently reading this book. It is true that Tina had some bad experiences, but this shaped the adventurous and strong woman she has become today. I also love Peter's dedication to her. Thanks for the amazing review.
Latest Review: High Wire by Kam Majd
Einsthawkton Edeh
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-einsthawkton-edeh.html
Latest Review: Best Evidence by Mark S. Osaki

Post by Einsthawkton Edeh »

I have carefully read this review of yours and all I can say is that it is amazing! I like how you analysed this book. This review has made know the things to expect from this book. Thank you so much for sharing such an honest review.
Ambrose John
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ambrose-john.html
Latest Review: The Receptionist by Marie-Paul Corelli

Post by Ambrose John »

Walkabout is therapeutic for those who knows how to use it. And as Tina knows how, she went on a journey to heal herself and bond better with her family.
Cheryl Erickson
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: 3 Sisters 3 Weeks 3 Countries (Still Talking)
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cheryl-erickson.html
Latest Review: The Caroler by Liza Martini
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Cheryl Erickson »

I truly enjoyed this book! I loved going along on adventures with Tina and her family. The safari was very exciting with all of the unpredictable animals. I still don't know how they made it up the coast and across the Atlantic on a catamaran with 4 teenagers! It was a wild ride filled with wonderful stops along the way. The ending was so sad, though. Good job on the book review!
Judy_Akha
Currently Reading: When No One Else Believed
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-judy-akha.html
Latest Review: The Dragon Who Would Be King by Anne Peters

Post by Judy_Akha »

I think this book will teach bravery and courage to young girls, and at the same time, the reader will remember this beautiful story about overcoming traumas. I enjoyed reading your well-written review.
Larabs Josh
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anu-michael.html
Latest Review: The Aglaril Cycle by Rich Feitelberg

Post by Larabs Josh »

This is a book that would teach resilience, faith adventure, and second chance. I would recommend it to all women around the world.
Marybreda reads
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marybreda-reads.html
Latest Review: Bawdy Jokes & Patter Songs by Denny Hatch

Post by Marybreda reads »

This book tells an interesting memoir of a family preparing to visit Johannesburg, South Africa. I also feel this book has a lot of lessons to teach. Nice review.
Tonia Freeman
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Black Hat/White Hat: A tale of Good is Evil
Bookshelf Size: 756
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tonia-freeman.html
Latest Review: Just Die by E Alan Fleischauer

Post by Tonia Freeman »

Even though this book wouldn't be my cup of tea your review is great! I can't imagine living a life like that.
Charles Jeremiah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charles-jeremiah.html
Latest Review: Now I See by Sandra Leon Gonzalez

Post by Charles Jeremiah »

Kudos to the author for being bold enough to lay down her life stories, giving others who have suffered the same a platform to speak too and teaching them that therapy and love helps. I enjoyed reading your review and I'd love to read this book when I can. Thanks for the recommendation.
Osakwe Precious
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-osakwe-precious.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Osakwe Precious »

Tina Dreffin's writing style in Bluewater Walkabout is both engaging and poetic. Her ability to capture the essence of the sea and convey the emotions of her experiences is truly remarkable

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”