Review of The Date Farm

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Donald Kelvin
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-judith-chinwe.html
Latest Review: High Wire by Kam Majd

Review of The Date Farm

Post by Donald Kelvin »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Date Farm" by Jack Winnick.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I sometimes wonder what our faith would be like if we didn't have courageous men and women who stand up to the threat of terrorism. The Date Farm by Jack Winnick is one such book; it looks at how a couple, Lara and Uri, chose a life of servitude to their country. The couple's vacation in Ohio with Lara's family was cut short when a call came in that they were needed back at the office. 

Upon arriving there, they get the news that a shootout at a popular mall has killed hundreds of people in the process. The people who carried out this dastardly act kill themselves, too, so as to not reveal anything. They hit a dead end with that case. Just as things appeared to settle, another incident was reported: a robbery of the Federal Reserve Bank and Chase Manhattan Bank, both in New York, carried out by Sheikh Zainal Abidin. Having dealt with Abidin in the past, Lara and Uri move into the banks to stop the robbery, but they are captured in the process. During the capture, they realized that the terrorists were not after the gold in the bank but rather the United States' supply of a rare metal crucial to the U. S. defense efforts. Now, Lara and Uri have to go to Iran on a mission to recover the rhenium and destroy Iran's communication satellites. 

The Date Farm is the fourth book in the Lara and Uri series by Jack Winnick. However, I can assure you that this book can be read independently of its prequels. It is a fast-paced action thriller bound to hold your interest till the end; I experienced this. There were no dull moments; Winnick is quite the storyteller. The way he organized his writing, beginning with action followed by moments of respite, was terrific. One thing I found unique about this book was that it gave everyone a voice. Readers have got to get an incline into the characters' thoughts, including that of the terrorists. 

The only thing I disliked was that the narratives were intense at times. However, this is expected as it is an action thriller. I admired the characters of Lara and Uri; they did not allow their feelings to interfere with their duties, which impressed me. This book was an intense blend of action, humor, suspense, and servitude. There is a lot to pick up from this book. The fact that it also refers to some genuinely occurring events adds to its realistic nature. The positive aspects drowned out the negatives. Hence, I'm rating this book a 4 out of 4

I also commend the author and editors for this amazingly well-edited piece. I did not encounter any errors in the course of my reading. I recommend this book to audiences interested in crime/action thrillers, suspense, espionage, and tales of terrorism.

The Date Farm
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Latest Review: High Wire by Kam Majd
E Daves
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-e-daves.html
Latest Review: Zero the Hero! by Paul Gurgol

Post by E Daves »

The intensity of the story shouldn't be a negative aspect for me at all. I would really love reading this book. Thank you for providing an informative review if this book.
ometanoghenetejiri
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ometanoghenetejiri.html
Latest Review: JTs World by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by ometanoghenetejiri »

This seems like an action packed novel with so much suspense. I would definitely add this to my bookshelf. Your review gave sufficient details. Nice work, I must say.
Famzi Ken
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-famzi-ken.html
Latest Review: My Pound of Flesh by William Thielman

Post by Famzi Ken »

Indeed we need this courageous person to stand up for us. I applaud them every day. This sounds like a thriller I will enjoy. I like that the author knows how to weave a story. Great review.
Christabel Egbeama
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christabel-egbeama.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet
Reading Device: B09KBSDRDG

Post by Christabel Egbeama »

It is obvious that Jack Winnick is not a novice writer and it shows in his work. I love that this book is suspense-filled and eventful. Great review.
Chimereucheya Okoroafo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chimereucheya-okoroafo.html
Latest Review: Life's ecstasy and eternal struggles by Sandra mayfield

Post by Chimereucheya Okoroafo »

Firstly, when is the title 'Date Farm' explained? I may not be a fan of terrorism themes but your review of quite convincing. Raising questions I'd like answered and I believe reading this book is the best way to get them. Nice review.
You have a life to live. If you ain't living it, that's failure. :tiphat:
Dgamelaw
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dgamelaw.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Dgamelaw »

This book contains a lot of action and suspense. I enjoyed this review. Great review.
Larabs Josh
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anu-michael.html
Latest Review: The Aglaril Cycle by Rich Feitelberg

Post by Larabs Josh »

This seems like the typical books I would love to read. Books on terrorism are quite intense and I love them for that.
Elendu Clement Ekechukwu
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elendu-clement-ekechukwu.html
Latest Review: Shot Down by Steve Snyder

Post by Elendu Clement Ekechukwu »

This is suspense upon suspense. I can't wait to find out what becomes of these culprits when they are found. Nice review. I hope they don't get their hands on the rhenium.
Judy O
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-judy-o.html
Latest Review: Granite Kingdom by Eric Pope

Post by Judy O »

Lara and Uri's devotion to their country and stopping terrorism is beautiful to read about. I hope they find the rhenium and escape Iran unscathed.
Fams Pee
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fams-pee.html
Latest Review: Karmic Selling by Stan Gwizdak

Post by Fams Pee »

Good review. I also like Lara & Uri's seriousness; when it is time to be serious, they put their romance aside.
Not available anymore
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-covenant-morolayo-olusegun.html
Latest Review: Stones by James C. Hendee

Post by Not available anymore »

Thank God for the courageous men and women that are brave enough to step up to terrorism, this Lara and Uri series seems so interesting and I like that you mentioned that the book can be read independently, great review
Azuka Jessica
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-azuka-jessica.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Azuka Jessica »

I'm glad that the book was intense. I think that will make it more interesting to read. The book seem to be a full package, containing suspense, humor, and action. Thanks for an amazing review. I will love to read this book.
Bef Ozo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 72
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bef-ozo.html
Latest Review: Ditching Success? by Batoul I. Ajlouni

Post by Bef Ozo »

I love to read stories about how people stand up to fight for their country. Their courage is always lovely to read about. I loved reading this review too. It was well analysed.
Mmeso Goodness
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmeso-goodness.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Mmeso Goodness »

The storyline of this book is quite intriguing. I have heard alot about this Lara and Uri series. I can't wait to read them myself.
Great review.
Kudos!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”