Review of Cynthia and Dan

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Donald Kelvin
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-judith-chinwe.html
Latest Review: High Wire by Kam Majd

Review of Cynthia and Dan

Post by Donald Kelvin »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Cynthia and Dan" by Dorothy May Mercer.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Dorothy May Mercer's Cynthia and Dan is the eighth instalment in the McBride Series. It focuses on the life of Cynthia, Senator McBride's chief of security. Cynthia had gone to her brother's office to share her thoughts on how they needed to stop terrorists through cyberwarfare. On her way back, there's a commotion and a resulting traffic jam on the road. Apparently, a drone had landed on the White House's lawn, posing a possible threat to national security. Cynthia tries to see what happened, but a man, Sky, leads her away. He takes her to lunch, and they end up staying at his place.

Meanwhile, Glenn informs Cynthia that they'd need people with tech experience to tackle the cybersecurity threat. Tim and Garth are recruited to fulfil that purpose. The team then goes on to set the stage for a cyberwar. What would be the outcome? Would national peace be kept? I believe there's only one way to find out. Cynthia's current boyfriend, Dan, is also out to erase all competition. Will he succeed?

As I highlighted earlier, this book is the eighth in its series; however, it can be read as a standalone. It boasts a lovely plot, which is based on cyberwar. It is no news that as much as technology has brought development and awareness, terrorists have also tried to infiltrate it and use it to their advantage. Cynthia and her brother notice this and try to thwart their plans. I enjoyed reading this book. It was very refreshing to read. It was a proper blend of fiction, suspense, action, humour, and romance. The character development was done beautifully; readers would not need previous knowledge before beginning this piece. The book was also fast-paced; it seldom had dull moments. The grammar used was simple and comprehensible; I'd like to commend the author for being accommodating to everyone.

One thing I wasn't fond of in this book was how unprofessional the author portrayed Cynthia's character to the audience. She behaved rather carelessly and made rash decisions as the story progressed. Another issue was the title, which I believe was deceptive and undercut the writing's potential. The designation places it in a genre where it doesn't belong, and this can turn off potential readers. There were times when the narrative turned monotonous and boring, but this observation could have just been subjective. I only came across one error throughout my reading.

I gave Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer a rating of 3 out of 4; I did not award it a full rating because I considered the downsides I highlighted in the paragraph above. I recommend this book to audiences interested in action thrillers, political thrillers, and books on espionage and cyberwarfare.

Cynthia and Dan
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Latest Review: High Wire by Kam Majd
Chukwuemeka Ezema
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chukwuemeka-ezema.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Chukwuemeka Ezema »

I agree with you, the book title didn't fit the storyline. I expected Dan to be at the center of this novel but that was not the case. Thanks for the review.
Chimereucheya Okoroafo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chimereucheya-okoroafo.html
Latest Review: Life's ecstasy and eternal struggles by Sandra mayfield

Post by Chimereucheya Okoroafo »

Not my favorite book. I was quite disappointed by this book's bad plot. The title doesn't seem to relate with the story line. Your review is simple and well written. You did a good job in explaining your like and dislikes, and I appreciate it. Nice review.
You have a life to live. If you ain't living it, that's failure. :tiphat:
Christabel Egbeama
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christabel-egbeama.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet
Reading Device: B09KBSDRDG

Post by Christabel Egbeama »

Cynthia and Dan has to be one of my favorites. I love the character development in this book. My favorite character is Sky Eastman. Nice review.
Charles lib
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charles-lib.html
Latest Review: Unicorns Know Magic by Charles Adkins

Post by Charles lib »

The characters in this book was well developed and I have this book a perfect rating. though the only thing I dislikes about it was the title of the book, for me it didn't correspond with the story line.
Dgamelaw
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dgamelaw.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Dgamelaw »

Cynthia and Dan is an informative book. I enjoyed the storyline and different plot twist. Nice review
Azuka Jessica
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-azuka-jessica.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Azuka Jessica »

I love the concept of a Cyber war. War fought over the internet space. I like that the book can be read as a standalone, despite being eighth in a series. Thanks for an honest review. I'm looking forward to reading this book.
Hyfr Zack
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hyfr-zack.html
Latest Review: Waterworks by Jack Winnick

Post by Hyfr Zack »

Cynthia's character was unprofessional, and I agree with you. Despite this, the book contains some enjoyable scenes. Excellent review.
Fams Pee
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fams-pee.html
Latest Review: Karmic Selling by Stan Gwizdak

Post by Fams Pee »

Wow, eight instalment. I though I'd have to read the first eight, but since you said it can be read as a standalone, I should be able to read this one then. Nice review.
Famzi Ken
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-famzi-ken.html
Latest Review: My Pound of Flesh by William Thielman

Post by Famzi Ken »

I found the plotline of this book interesting. I liked Cynthia as a character. What I disliked most about the book was the title. I wondered why Dan was in the title. Great review.
Larabs Josh
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anu-michael.html
Latest Review: The Aglaril Cycle by Rich Feitelberg

Post by Larabs Josh »

This is a book that shows the impact of women in fighting terrorism. It shows the extent one can go to fight one's country.
Amandaruth Ama
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iam-ama.html
Latest Review: The Curse of Northam Bay by Keith F Girard

Post by Amandaruth Ama »

This book was an interesting read. I however also did not like it for some reasons when I read it. The romance between Cynthia and Sky Eastman seemed out of place, and the character of Cynthia was not as strong as one would expect from a lead female character in a book like this. That not withstanding, I still enjoyed the storyline.
Valeria Riveraa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valeria-riveraa.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Valeria Riveraa »

I enjoyed every bit of this book. My favorite aspect of this book is the spice of mystery. The mysterious Sky Eastman is my favorite character in this book. I also love that even though there were various cyber crime brewing, Cynthia still had the opportunity to live a normal life. Thanks for the review.
Ekaete Bruno
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekaete-bruno.html
Latest Review: The Date Farm by Jack Winnick

Post by Ekaete Bruno »

Cynthia and her brother Glenn were very optimistic on stopping a potential on the United States of America which is good.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”